1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

harry potter

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by soninme, Oct 31, 2007.

1. soninme

soninme New Member

Are the "Harry Potter" books and films demonic , and can this damage our kids , by reading or watching them .

Many ministry leaders in the past have criticised the ”Harry Potter” series over its use of magic and argue that it promotes the occult – an assertion that, if true, could be serious since the movies and literature target children who can be most affected by negative spiritual content.

Whats your views on this guys ........?

2. trustitl

trustitl New Member

You will get a lot of emotional response to this one is my guess. I will give you my 2 cents worth.

I will preface my comments by saying that I don't have a TV and haven't gone to a movie in almost 15 years. I have too many other good things to do.

If you can go to these movies or read the books in a way which brings glory to God and edifies you and your children then go. If your kids end up in demonic activity it won't be because they read the books, it will be because you failed to equip them with truth.

A few words from Ephesians 5:
    4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
    15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, 16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. 17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: How far can one take this? Can we assume that God failed to equip His children with truth?

4. trustitl

trustitl New Member

That is exactly what I am gettting at. If they can lead their children to the Truth (I am the way the TRUTH and the Life...) their children will be safe.

Some people I know think that the act of reading such a book will bring demonic curses upon them.

Others think that if you keep your children away from such things will make them turn out good. But scripture says:
    "if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law. Gal 5:21b

Why any Christian walking in the Spirit would want to go to these for entertainment is hard for me to understand. I am just saying that the real issue is aasking why they would want to go. Some people, by faith, go with their children to equip them to deal with deception.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: First, I was trying to point out that even when we equip our children with truth, they have minds of their own and can rebel and go their own way in spite of our training, just as Adam and Eve did with God.

I can understand what you are saying about people going to see the movies etc. 'in faith' in order to train their children, but I also think that to be an unwise method. People do all sorts of things, even outright disobedience and claim it was by faith. One only has to read the posts on this board to see that some ‘by faith’ presume upon the grace of God to cover for any and all of their future sins, and that without even the condition of repentance being required. It has ALL been accomplished on the cross they claim.

6. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I knew of all the occult criticism before I picked up the book and as I suspected, the criticism was unwarranted. The first book was a very good read with excellent story telling. I started reading the second book and got bored so I didn't continue. Since then, I've seen the first four films and I must say that they did an excellent job with the production of the films. The second story was weak but they have increasingly improved. The fourth one was quite remarkable actually.

Regarding the occult stuff, I would say if your kid was already into occult stuff, these books might encourage him/her to continue in them. But there is nothing in the stories that is any more occult than your typical fantasy novel with wizards, spells, mythical creatures and the like. Its "promotion" of the occult consists pretty much of learning about fictional plants and animals, saying meaningless phrases and waving a wand. The stories do teach kids a lot of good moral values in terms of relating with family, classmates, teachers and even their enemies.

If I had a young child, my concern would be more about the scary imagery and violence in the movies than any thing occult they could learn.