1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has anyone heard of Global University?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by JamieinNH, Dec 9, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That school has been around for a while. I have never heard anything good or bad about them, in fact I don't recall ever meeting someone who has been to that school. It is an Assemblies of God school.

Are you thinking about working on a degree from Global? If so just make sure any school/business you wish to transfer that degree to (etc) will honor it.

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jamie Response

Jamie,

You asked so here we go:

First;
    it is an Assemblies of God institution. That is OK with me, but if a young person was not "grounded" in Baptist understandings that could cause some real difficulties.

Second;
    it is not RA (regionally accredited) or ATS (Association of Theological Schools/Canada & US agency that accredits grad schools of religions and seminaries). I don't believe that I missed these two agencies, but if I did I apologize ahead of time.

Third;
    (and this one is in its favor), it has many well credentialed individuals who teach, write, and administrate. Many have the Doctor of Ministry degree from very highly valued institutions. What that tells me is that their emphasis is on the practical and application side of ministry. They do have a number of PhDs in different fields, but the total number seems to be low as I perused the catalog.

Here is a link to their catalogue for grad studies.

http://www.globaluniversity.edu/pdf/grad_catalog.pdf

I could say more but I am still asleep and need to clear my head.

Why, if I may ask, would someone come to the BB and ask for a critique of an Assemblies of God school? If you don't mind the question.

sdg~:thumbsup:

rd

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Thanks guys for the reviews. The reason I ask about it is because last night, at a Christmas party at a friend's house, his Pastor and I started talking and I was telling him that I wanted to go to Liberty and he mentioned it and said they had a good program, and they were not that expensive.

Their credit hour cost is 1/3 of Liberty and with money being tight, I didn't know if I could take some classes and transfer them. I would have to check with Liberty I know, but I wanted to check and see if anyone knew anything about them before I went that far.

Thanks again,

Jamie

5. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jamie Response #2

Jamie,

May I ask; are you considering LU on the Bachelor's or Master's level?

The reason I ask is that I am going to teach an on-line Church History course for LU starting in January-Apostolic Age to the Reformation.

I am, even as we speak, surveying the Church History lectures of Dr. Deimer (sp?) as I type this.

Just wondering.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am working on my Bachelor's degree at Liberty. After years of putting it off, I am finally starting to get my degree in order to pastor a church.

Jamie

7. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are accredited by DETC:

http://www.globaluniversity.edu/student_info/level3/grad/gradfaq.cfm#academic

8. bproulx12

bproulx12 New Member

About 13 years ago they were called Berean College, they have a branch called Berean School of the Bible now. As someone that was raised Baptist I took 2 classes back then and ended up cancelling becuase I had a hard time understanding some of the Pentacostal Doctrine. Speaking in Tongues was a biggy. It and still does give me difficulties. It was a show stopper. Then I was in the military and used the militaries Dantes Program. Now that I am out of the military (Retired) I wish I woudl have found away to look past some of the doctrinal differences as the course material was well done.

9. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Dr. Carl ... just hearing that name brings back memories. Its been a LONG time since I was sitting in his class.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Depending on their approval of your classes, liberty will take a third to half of them from another school.

But, there are even better ways around that . . .

:thumbs:

11. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Hiya El_Guero,

What would be the better ways around it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreiated.

Thanks,

Jamie

12. Chad Whiteley

Chad Whiteley Member

Funny thing, I have taken some correspondence courses through Central Baptist College and they use some material through Global University. I always thought they just printed correspondence material for other schools. In any case, you ought to consider taking corrrespondence courses through CBC, they are completely accredited through the North Central Association.