1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Has Hank Hanagraaf left the faith?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So the logical conclusion is that those in a church that...

...can still be saved, so...

...what's the big deal?

I guess it is not a matter of being in the right group, or holding to the "full body of Biblical Doctrine," right?

Thanks for clearing that up, Yeshua. Its good to know you believe Catholics can be saved.

God bless.

#61 Darrell C, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of us are now seeing him as being lost again, but think that we all see him now being part of a church that denies the true Gospel! So His church departed from the Faith....

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The point is why should Hank go to another church that does not uphold the true Gospel of Christ?

4. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So "the Faith" is whatever group is approved by you and your friends?

No, the point is that he moved to a church which in your words is "in the same state as the Catholic Church," and you view him as being saved, or "still saved," or not "lost again," whatever that is supposed to mean, and the obvious conclusion we can draw is that you can now stop making derisive remarks about the Catholic Church since one can, in your view, go to a false church which teaches false doctrine...

...and still be saved.

The assumptions involved in this are both humorous as well as sad.

God bless.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Faith is what the NT defined it to be, mainly the real Gospel of Christ, and the RCC fails that test!
    And pointing out that they are Apostste is just stating the truth, see Council of Trent!

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have asked you twice, present your own Gospel presentation, that I might examine it.

Let's see how you do on this test.

God bless.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a sinner, who has already been judged by God to be guilty in the Fall of Adam, and unless I can keep perfectly the Law same way Jesus did, I will stay lost!
    God knowing that none can be justified by the way of law keeping, so He sent His Son, who came toi earth as Jesus , and who died in my stead at the Cross, and God accepted that Jesus paid my sin debt owned him in full, and he accepted that by raising Jesus back from the dead...

I believed that Jesus took in full all of my sins at the Cross, and that God raised Him from the dead.

The Holy Spirit Himself showed me that I was a sinner, no means to save myself, and he enabled me to see and believe unto Jesus to get saved.

Nothing in there about what I had to do, but all what God did do!

8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not bad, in large part, but...

And you knew that was coming.

Here are a few items in your Gospel presentation I would take issue with:

Could you show me that in Scripture?

Truly it is Adam's sin and the Fall which is the reason for your sin, but, your sin is your sin, and Adam's sin is his sin.

In other words, you are judged guilty because of the sin you have committed, not for the sin Adam committed.

You were born condemned because you were born separated from God. And it is only Christ dying in your place, not Adam's, which accounts for your sin being atoned and you being reconciled to God.

Everyone could be justified by keeping the Law...if they could do it.

So better to make that clear.

Galatians 3:21
    King James Version (KJV)

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Actually, the Son of God "came to earth," and took up residence in a body that had never been to Heaven.

Whereas I could argue that Jesus died for your sin, rather than "He took it in full" upon Himself. I do not take a view that "spiritually my sin, or yours, was placed on Christ. The demand of the penalty of sin is death, and He, completely innocent of sin, died in our place, a lamb without spot or wrinkle.

;)

God bless.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alcohol is the least of the EO's problems.

The EO, like Catholicism, say they believe in "salvation by grace" but what they really mean by that is that they believe that grace opens the door to salvation, which must be earned by a lifetime of salvific works.

I don't see how Hannegraaf can claim to affirm the doctrines of the EO, and according to portions of the Bible Answer Man (which he stole from Walter Martin, but I digress) played on James White's show, he is now vigorously defending EO doctrine, and still be consistent with the Christian faith.

Hannegraff has always been a Preterist and an Arminian, which have always been troubling, but if this move to the EO is not just a season of confusion, then I think it's time to seriously consider him an apostate.

11. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holding to partial preterism does not make one a heretic as plenty of Reformed are also partial preterists. I think Hanks view of the earth being old is more troubling than his eschatology.

12. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say it made him a heretic. I just said it's troubling.

13. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always got the impression that he tried to present both an Arminian view as well as still try to give an impression he embraced Eternal Security.

And for the record, I don't have a problem with someone calling him an heretic. I would suggest that several of his positions are no less than heretical.

God bless.

14. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like which ones? Hank holds to the essentials of the faith.

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Partial Preterism, for one. While many find this an acceptable system of belief, I view it as one of the worst positions one can embrace. I take the same view of A-Millennialism. Both teach that Prophecy is unreliable. We will never get them to admit that, but if God can provide Prophecy, then void it, it mars the perception of the faithfulness of GOd.

Another would be his embrace of not just an extended history of the universe...but a hugely extended history, which in my view also contradicts the Word of God and supports Evolution as well as Theistic Evolution.

Another would be his view of the Ministry of the Comforter, a subject I have spoken to him about personally. He views, as most do, that the coming of the Comforter was for the purpose of empowerment. The fact is that the Spirit of God...has always empowered men.

Those are not "Essentials of the Faith," and in my view antithetical to Faith in God and His Holy Word.

That doesn't mean I do not believe he is saved, I do. That I think he should find another profession, something other than Bible Answer Man, is a given.

And I think my local station actually took him off the air. I have mixed feelings about that, because as I have said from the beginning of this discussion, why is "his error" now any different from his error before? I like any kind of Q & A, so sorry to see him go, and sorrier still not to have new categories to pose questions to him about,. lol.

God bless.