1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Has Joel Osteen's preaching saved anyone?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Humble Disciple, Jul 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the few times I’ve seen the end of his sermons, he always says,”repeat this prayer….bla bla bla… if you said that prayer I believe you are saved”

peace to you

2. Humble Disciple

Humble Disciple Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you sincerely and genuinely accept Jesus as your Savior, you are saved. Is that untrue?

3. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the statement of faith from Osteen's church, which seems pretty standard to me:
    About Lakewood Church

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you receive Holy Spirit indwelling, that will be the mark that you have sincerely and genuinely accepted Jesus as Savior, and that you are saved.

That cannot be seen (at least I cannot see Holy Spirit indwelling) therefore, I don’t think we can declare anyone saved or unsaved based on a profession of faith.

peace to you

5. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a video that outlines Osteen's false doctrine.

6. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then it's not for us to judge whether Osteen's message has led others to salvation.

7. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've watched the video. Here's the statement of faith from Osteen's church, which seems pretty standard to me:
    About Lakewood Church

Given John MacArthur's own lavish lifestyle, he needs to remove the plank from his eye before pointing the finger at Joel Osteen who, unlike MacArthur, takes no salary from his church.

The Prosperous Lifestyle of America's Anti-Prosperity Gospel Preacher | The Roys Report

Are these the tears of a man who doesn't genuinely care about the people whose lives have been changed by his message?

MacArthur might have the right doctrines, but he shows no joy when preaching them, even though joy is one of the fruits of the Spirit.

#47 Humble Disciple, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  8. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    If George Whitefield, despite his Calvinism, could work with John Wesley, then I can see the good in Joel Osteen. It's a no-brainer.

Unlike his critics, Joel Osteen doesn't take a salary from his church. He's no less deserving of the money from his book sales as a Christian film maker would be of the money from his movies.

#48 Humble Disciple, Jul 23, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    A good Calvinist would see this story as the work of God's providence in Joel Osteen's life:

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he does far more then that, as he seems to hold that every Christian has a right to have God bless and prosper them!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He holds to word of faith and health and wealth prosperity of heresy!

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit can take a donkey speaking to correct another!

14. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    This seems to be the message of Joel Osteen, that just like the story of Joseph, God will use what the devil intended for your harm for your good.

Genesis 50:20
    You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.

I have never heard him promise that Christians will never have suffering and adversity in life.

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you watch the video? They do just that.

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    May I ask why you support a known charlatan?

17. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Beyond the sketchy way this article uses sources, there is NOTHING here that ties Schuller to the new age movement.

Please don't make false accusations. There is plenty to critique about Schuller without making stuff up and discrediting everyone here by association with your false charges.

18. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, I wouldn't attend a church that has Joel Osteen as a pastor, but that doesn't mean he's teaching things that are contrary to the Bible.

In the same fashion, I am not a Pentecostal, but I'm not going to look down on others who speak in tongues.

If you have something from his sermons that specifically contradicts what the Bible teaches, please share the quote, rather than just a Youtube video. Let others read the quote for themselves.

Who is the bigger charlatan, Joel Osteen, who receives no salary from his church, or John MacArthur, who draws extravagant salaries from his ministries while pointing the finger at others?

The Prosperous Lifestyle of America's Anti-Prosperity Gospel Preacher | The Roys Report

A good Calvinist would see this story as the work of God's providence in Joel Osteen's life:
    If God Is For You

19. Humble Disciple

Faith:
    Baptist
    When it comes to teachers like Joel Osteen, who might not be from our tradition of Christianity, why not look at the words of scripture?

Mark 9
    38 Now John answered Him, saying, “Teacher, we saw someone who does not follow us casting out demons in Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow us.”
    39 But Jesus said, “Do not forbid him, for no one who works a miracle in My name can soon afterward speak evil of Me. 40 For he who is not against us is on our side. 41 For whoever gives you a cup of water to drink in My name, because you belong to Christ, assuredly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.

Matthew 7
    16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Matthew 12
    25 But Jesus knew their thoughts, and said to them: “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. 26 If Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand?

John 17
    20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.

1 Corinthians 1
    11 My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12 What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?

1 Corinthians 8:2-3
    Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much. But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.

#59 Humble Disciple, Jul 23, 2021
  20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    The video I posted shows his theological error. Please stop your attempt to lift him up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.