1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Has the IFB went liberal?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Salty, May 28, 2020.

1. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    o gosh i hope i didnt kick the Golden baptist cow over ..i am still looking for answers i have a buddy who is IDF baptist his church will NOT allow accompany tapes/c.d to sing by. it might have drums in it and be worldly.. where does it say drums are worldly ..i am asking questions does any one want to answer

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we as Baptists are preaching the Bible - then we are preaching Baptist theology

3. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    which group of baptist ?

4. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are IDF Baptists?

5. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IDF IS A TYPO it should be I F B but everyone knows the thread is about independent fundamentalist baptist hwo for the most thing southern baptist are liberal. i am not sure where they stand with Missionary Baptist. it seems no one either has the answer or is willing to answer my questions . or maybe this thread should be closed to

6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Salty started the thread, so I reckon it's up to him to decide if it should be closed early.

As for your questions, you've asked about a dozen at once, and none of them very clearly. What dividing line are you talking about between IFB, SBC , and Missionary (?) baptists? They're all autonomous local congregations, with plenty of differences.

Oh, and if proofreading my posts for spelling and grammar before I hit reply is a trait of the liberals, then you can call me Harry Emerson Fosdick. :D

7. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    you claim there is a big difference is there different degrees of eternal security? or do you even have a clue? if you want to reply with a attitude i can also
    let me assure you i am by far a liberal...i also note you replied with out a answer

8. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    u mean sunting lke dis ? praper speelling and gremmer did dat hep

9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying I made some claim? I can't even tell, but if you claim I made a claim link to it. And if you are by far a liberal, ok, I'll take your word for it.

You want to compare things like "different degrees of eternal security" between IFB and SBC, when those same differences can be found between churches in the SBC or between churches who consider themselves IFB.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    AND YES - I did see a major grammar mistake in you post above - 2nd paragraph, second line - after "SBC" you left a space before you put a comma! How did you ever make it out of English class!!!!! (But I wont tell Esra)

Seriously, interesting post you made. Its interesting how divided Baptists can be. W can argue about the smallest things.But if a non-Baptists says something, they we are liable to be united!

Why do you think that Southern Baptists are liberal?

#50 Salty, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  11. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    when i post get use to grammar mistakes.. God called me to preach not write . i don't know as if the southern baptist are liberal ,
    i dont see any baptist exactly setting the world on fire for Christ. . i was pastor at a southern baptist once for 90 days . i had %99 voter approval . i was ordained General Baptist . i am called to go where he Puts me.. the reason i left i kicked the Golden cow over. i mentioned foot washing i had no idea southern baptist. dont practice foot washing it is Bible.. either way i had a woman with jezebel spirit that Got upset. through a fit i had a meeting with her and her followers .
    i shut them down buy using the scriptures. a week later i was asked to leave. i don't have issue with southern baptist . all though i could never be on fully pledged . i dont even teach general baptist doctrine. i use the Bible

but i dont understand the division among the s.b missionary and ifb . i prefer letting the Holy Spirit lead the Church

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ezra the difference between my strain of IFB runs through the Northern Baptists. Back in the day, the Northern Baptists held that a Baptist Church can be represented. Then there was the matter of slavery, NB congregations didn't want their missions' funds going to slaveholding church planters on the then frontier.
    As to why the focus of the post 1 is on the IFB, the IFB is Steve Andreson's bete noir.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interestingg!

14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't attended a foot washing since I was a Mennonite. And even back then it was a rarity.

As for not understanding division, you just typed out a whole scenario about division. One congregation couldn't all agree on something, but now you're surprised that millions of people in tens of thousands of congregations disagree on matters?

The whole premise of the SBC seems to be "how much disagreement can we live with while pooling resources for God's Kingdom." And it certainly ebbs and flows through the years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unbelievable. Truly

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missionary Baptists are a fellowship of fundamentalists that want nothing to do with the rest of us. They reject all ministries not directly under a local church. I've been to a Missionary Baptist missionary conference and been assailed (unsuccessfully) for being under a mission board. (The Missionary Baptist man didn't stop to think that my board is under the authority of churches.) I simply pointed out to him that his Cambridge Bible was not printed by a local church.

#56 John of Japan, Aug 24, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SBC had a strong strain of liberalism even back in the 1930's (though I would say they are less liberal today because of the conservative resurgence). Many Baptists were forced out or left the convention in those days when leaders insisted you had to contribute to the cooperative program to be a Southern Baptist. That was the genesis of the independent Baptist movement in the South. My grandfather and my current pastor's father were two that left the SBC in those days. Famous pastor Lee Roberson was another who was forced out of the SBC and went independent for that reason and for daring to start an independent college, but not until 1955.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    John,
    Our State SBC is the Bap Convention of NY - we have well over 400 churches. I would say (based on written reports) 10-15% of churches do not give anything to the Co-op program.. Some churches subscribe to the 2000 BFM, some to the 1963.
    Many of the liberal churches have left the SBC for the Alliances of Baptists and/or the Co-operative Baptist Fellowship.
    Some churches have come back into the SBC.
    Other examples as well.

Now, is the SBC totally liberal free - of course not. With 40,000 churches and each SBC is an independent Baptist and fully autonomous church, a new pastor or several new members can change the direction of the church.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, I had no idea the Yankees there in NY had so many SBC churches!

The persecutions I've referred to which ousted churches or individuals from the SBC were usually on a local level--the county association was the culprit in the cases of John R. Rice and Lee Roberson. I don't know that the same actions would be taken in this century, almost 100 years later in some cases.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ezra2020

ezra2020 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    exactly what is this liberalism in the sbc? describing the missionary baptist sound like the independent fundamentalist they have some strong preaching .they indoctrinated. no other denom can stand against them. i have a buddy who belongs to one.. . there pretty convinced they are right.. i want to know more about all this division. General baptist like to fuss and break up go else where