1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Has your Church been gagged?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Dale-c, Jun 22, 2006.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Like I said before, if/when the church gets back to changing hearts, then the politics will take care of themselves.

Is it too late to change enough hearts that we won't have to deal with the persecutions our forefathers did when they came to this land? Who knows? This problem didn't crop up overnight and it won't be fixed quickly either.

2. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

The problem is that preaching salvation alone is what got us into this mess in the first place.
    The WHOLE counsel of God needs to be preached

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

No, I don't think so, Dale.

I believe what got us into this mess was preacher who preached on sin without backing up thier opinion with scripture and parents who tried to do the same.

I'm a bit older than you and I lived through the late 60's and 70's and saw the great falling away that occured then. What was I being taught in church and at home? That drugs, dancing, cards, smoking, immoderate dress and the like were sins unto hell. (sounds good doesn't it)

What wasn't I being taught? Why those things were sin! I was expected to just take my parent's and preacher's word for it. When I asked why? I was told (or treated) I didn't have any sense or someone had been teaching me wrong. (never figured out who someone was since my life was completely controlled all the way down to my friends)

So then there were two kinds of churches, the one who did what I've described and the ones who didn't bother to teach sin at all. And niether did much good.

We need a fundamental change in how our churches disciple people and set them to work for the Lord. Of course, now apathy has set in and a whole lot of folks just don't see the need or are too busy to care. :(

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I do agree with you on that.
    What you have said about backing things up has been a big issue with me too. I just got married last year and one of the things I have had to do is decide a lot of these things formyself.

I decided I couldn't be making rules in my house without reasons for them.

I think we are both hitting the same problem from different angles.

I agree totally!

Bakc to the opening post, the same is true of politics from a Biblical perspective.

Churches failed to reallly deal with social issues Biblically anad instead allowed themselves to be caught up in popular opinon of the day.

Now that Churches benefit greatly from tax deductible gifts, they are even further entrenched and do not want to upset things.

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

In response to SBC Preacher:

Are you 501(c)(3)? Did you file your license with the county?

A police chaplin is required to file his license to preach with the local police department / municipal government in some jurisdictions.

I may not agree with everything in the following link ~~ it is just one example of what is "out there".

http://tinyurl.com/qjhh2

:flower:

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gen12,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, we are a 501(c)(3). But our state laws (North Carolina) don't require that I file with the county office (so I was told when I moved here 3+ yrs ago).

Now, I was first licensed in Arkansas, and in order to perform weddings, I had to file my credentials with the county office, but still my license was from the local church. The county just wanted to make sure I was licensed.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

My dad is the chaplain for the county jail in an Indiana county but no lic. was required.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Llike Martin Luther King for instance...

If you use him as an example, I believe he would have preached the same message even if they did take his non-taxable status. We need to follow his example and not allow our pulpits to ever be held hostage by any worldly status. If it is right and GODLY then it needs to be said no matter the penalty. Remember, Martin King, Paul and many a preacher went to jail, was killed and suffered. We owe it to our members to be willing to pay the price.

Jesus did :thumbs: