1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hate Crime Hoax at Ole Miss

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Acts 1:8, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Acts 1:8

Acts 1:8 New Member

2. Why do they call them hate crimes? I have not heard of many love crimes. I thought most crimes were crimes of hate.I don't know now they may have a new crime rating. The lowest is "annoyed" crimes,then to "dislike" crimes, then to really "dislike" then to "despise" ,and finally "hate" crimes. If one were to break another's nose it sure would not be out of love.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This is unfortunate, because it takes the focus off of legitimate crimes, including hate crimes.

5. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

We had a hoax at my school, too. A completely made up story of how one of the student government leaders was attacked in the office, and racist remarks were written on her body. Turns out she did it to herself.

Side note - true, few crimes are about love. Hate crime refers to the intimidation of a group - the individual crime done primarily as a message to an entire group of similar people. The moniker isn't the best or most accurate (only because it sounds accurate about all crimes), but it's intended to make the distinction between my hitting my co-worker because he made me mad and my hitting my co-worker because he's a male and I want to send a message to all males not to mess with me or this is what will happen to you.

Like I said, not the best phrase, but it does actually mean something.