1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner: Biblical

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Nov 12, 2008.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

We often hear the expression that we are commanded to love the sinner while we hate the sin. Is there any Scripture that supports this?

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think the statement is generally valid. We may continue to love our son or daughter, even though they may be in flagrant sin.

We just have to remember that no one can be separated from their sin apart from the blood of Jesus Christ.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Luk 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Good Scripture but do they really prove that we are to love the sinner.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Who is your neighbor? :)

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one who shows mercy is the one who is a neighbor.

peace to you:praying:

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

So, we should only love those who show mercy to us?

Is this one better?
    Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Since we're all sinners, I guess we should love sinners or else we wouldn't love anybody.

#7 Amy.G, Nov 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2008
  8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should have read what I posted a little closer. All I did was repeat what Jesus said.

Jesus was asked, "who is my neighbor?". Jesus gave them the parable of the good Semaritan. At the conclusion, Jesus rephrased the question. Instead of saying, "who is my neighbor", Jesus asked, "who was a neighbor to the one who had been robbed?" In shame, the one who asked the question said, "the one who showed mercy".

So, I was trying to make the same point as Jesus. We should have mercy and love toward everyone.

peace to you:praying:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sorry JD. I misunderstood your post. :eek:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This verse is the key. We naturally love those who aren't our enemies. The tough part is loving everyone else. We are commanded to love everyone, as God does.