1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have we all become Laodicean?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by rockytopva, Mar 27, 2017.

1. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Seems like the Bible likes rock music. Doesn't it say that even the rocks will cry out?

• Like Like x 1
  2. PrmtvBptst1832

PrmtvBptst1832 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no reason to believe the seven churches are symbolic of seven time periods leading up to the coming of the Lord.

The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches. -Rev. 1.20

The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, the seven candlesticks are the seven churches, and the seven churches are...seven churches!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I use to be a counselor at a youth camp with bible study in the morning and church services at night. Our denomination got one of those Laodicean minded directors who showed James Dobsin flicks in the morning and a carnival type atmosphere at night. The last night they bring in a Christian rock band with ear piercings and all. I complained to a conference official over this and his reply was, "Whats a matter? Can't you do the charismatic two step?" I never returned to that youth camp.

No, I can't do the charismatic two step and have no interest in dancing to the Laodicean drums.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "seven church ages" doctrine is horse feathers, started by Darby in England, spread in the USA by the charlatan William Marrion Branham, later preached by Herbie Armstrong, now preached by Arnold Murray of "Shepherd's Chapel"

A quick check will show you the events of history do NOT match the "church ages" divisions. For example, the "Philadelphia period" saw the birth of some of the largest pseudo/quasi-Christian cults on earth outside the RCC - JW, LDS, & SDA all started in that time, followed closely by the Azusa St. "revival" of the pentecostals.

As was said above, there's NO Scriptural support for that nonsense. True, there are TYPES of all seven of those churches around today, but that's been true since Christianity was introduced.

That false doctrine should be dropped at once! it has NO PLACE among Baptists!

5. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe Branham was on the right track, until he made himself head of the Laodicean church. Now if you are not a Branhamite you are in disobedience.

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.- Revelation 3:12

"No more go out." This is big flaw in the Philadelphian age movement, they are in and out of revival. And when they are out of revival all kinds of heresy can arise in its place.

As far as 'Baptists' I was brought up GARBC and then after attending a summer of Pentecostal Holiness revival, taught Sunday school and attended a Freewill Baptist church. The Freewill Baptist footwashing was a memorable experience!

There is a wide array of Baptists, I believe that they can represent any of the last three churches...

Sardis - They can be rigid on the doctrine
    Philadelphia - They can be in revival
    Laodicea - They can become Charismatic.

A wide array!

6. Farmer34

Farmer34 New Member
    Site Supporter

Believe me, there are many other church systems of doctrine and prominent teachers of this position that have not been mentioned!

If the Futurist assumptions of the position regarding 7 historical church ages is wrong, then we can stop focusing on ONLY the sins of the Laodecian assembly (purported to represent our age) and start focusing also on where today's assemblies equally love the sins of the other 4 unfaithful assemblies (Ephesus, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis) as well as all other ecclesiastical sins that John's admonition to the unfaithful five in Revelation (two were faithful) does not mention.

Farmer#34

7. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have met many here in South Western Virginia who believe that they got off the ark Pentecostal Holiness as that is all they knew. I would tell them that there were other congregations before the PH church, but I just smile a little.

8. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Two notable things have happened in this Laodicean age....

1. The worship has gone charismatic
    2. People don't care much about doctrine these days.

I doubt most people know who John Calvin or Jacobus Arminius are, much less have a discussion about them. I visited a local charismatic church a while ago and it was like going to a rock concert. I looked over the doctrinal statement and commented to an elder, "There is not much doctrine here!" He looks at me and replies, "We like it that way." And smiled a little as he said it. And when the worship was over some other elder gets up and shows slideshows. They told me that communion was being served in a side room and for me to help myself. I did not even look in the room, afraid that the Lord's supper would be sloppily prepared.

9. rockytopva

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Two things that must happen before Christ's return...

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; - 2 Thessalonians 2:3

1. A great falling away
    2. The revealing of the antichrist

I believe the lukewarmness and materialism of the Laodicean age sets us up for all of this.