1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Have we become strangers in our own land (America)?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Peter passage is to remind us that christians are always strangers and pilgrims. Our true home is in heaven not the USA. Christians are in every country not just the USA, so this passage appeals to them as well

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure.

If you are suggesting that our government is based on the Declaration of Independence, then you are mistaken. The United States government was first based on the Articles of Confederation (written in 1777 and ratified in 1781) and then upon the Constitution (1789).

Moreover, public sentiment toward established religion changed dramatically after the Revolutionary War was completed. It's easy to assume that no one learned anything and that no opinions changed, but that's far from the truth.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also prefer the "First Nation" nomenclature, but I am primarily addressing a U.S. audience with my words, not our Canadian friends, so I try to stick with terms that won't make people think I'm not a native-born Texan and U.S. citizen. :)

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "First Nation" implies that there was some singular vast nation in control of the expansive lands north of South America.

There was not.

Native Americans seems to be the term the most accurate.