1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

He Did Away Withy The Law

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by th1bill, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While I would agree with in part, we do not forget the teaching afforded us in the New Testament. Of course they taught from the Old Testament scripture, we do so to this day.

But...should we say that when Paul wrote to the Corinthians, for example, we go through and pay attention to what he quotes from the OT only, or do we consider that he taught under inspiration of God and heed the insruction given through Paul also?

The Old Testament did not make clear to man such doctrines as the resurrection, but was vague in comparison to that which is revealed in the New Testament.

And while it remains that there will be false teachers that utilize both Old and New Testament scripture, that does not negate the responsibility of believers to heed that which is commanded in all the scripture, including those things taught by Paul.

While we do not abandon the first principles of the oracles of God, neither do we fail by slothfulness to "go on unto perfection," and to embrace that which was revealed to man both in the person of Christ and through those He chose to reveal doctrine through.

Sorry, I thought this...

...would help clarify.

The point is that Christ came to fulfill the law, and He did that. In the minds of some the picture of Christ fulfilling the law is limited to His performance of statutes and ordinances, while other go beyond that to see that it was not the keeping of the law only (which of course He would keep in perfection), but that which the law prophesied concerning Him, which He explains to the two disciples in Luke 24, for instance.

But...this is where we go beyond even that: and that is the completion that Christ brought to salvation. Not just "He died for our sin," but how we as believers are moved into a position of righteousness based upon His fulfillment.

"For the law could make nothing perfect (complete)."

"By one sacrifice He has perfected (made complete) forever them that are sanctified."

Now, let's put that into the context of the conversation at hand: Who is it that "keeps the law?"

We know of a certainty that what God has declared to be righteous is righteous, and that which He declares to be evil is evil. So when we look at the work of Christ we go beyond the Christ "keeping the law," beyond the Lord fulfilling prophecy in the Person of the Christ, and on to that which has been accomplished in man in salvation...because of Him.

When we debate about whether Christians keep the law or not, we have to keep it clear that Christ did that which man could not do. In our lives as believers Christ continues to do that which we cannot do, and that is to convict us of sin in our lives, whereby we are conformed to the image of Christ in practical application.

We do not keep the law because we read the law and like the Pharisees seek to perform those things, but we keep the law as the law of God is revealed to our hearts. While it may be written upon our hearts, we will not be able to read it except God bring light that we might see and understand.

We will be like children under the covers reading a book with a flashlight that has grown dim. Christ in us not only turns on the light, he takes off the blanket...lol.

All I am saying is that we must be careful as to how we approach the subject of "Christians keeping the law."

God bless.

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

We are NOT saying though thatthe law as to its Moral respect no longer valid, rather that Jesus fully kept the law, his obdeience allowed God to reckon me as also having kept its fullness, justified me...

Point is that we are to walk by faith, in power of the HS, and when we do that...

the fruit evidenced will be keeping the moral law, as we will be pleasing Christ and walking as we shoud be!

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

We are saying that the proces of keeping the moral aspects of the Law is by relying upon the power of the Holy spirit residing in us, and Christ power in us allows us to live godly and to stay pure and clean before the Lord...

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is power/peace/ability to live for God as we should...

We just see it being Christ in and through us as the One keeping His law....

4. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

i am so confused as to what those among us reformed here think the Law means to us today!

I take it to be the moral aspect of the law still in effect, as that is what God requires to live "Holy", but think Bible teaches that we do that by abiding in Christ, and yielding to the power of the HS in us, and by TAHT method be found keeping those moral aspects today!

5. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think you are that confused, brother. I thought you put into words and expressed a genuine and sincere understanding in the previous couple of posts.

I would suggest that titles and labels that do not stem from God's word be put on the shelf, for your reformation did not begin centuries ago, but on that day in which you yielded yourself to the Spirit of God, agreeing with that which He convicted you of.

You put into words the simplicity of the view we have, as Christians, of the law of God.

I view it as a perpetual yielding to God as we learn of Him and about Him. While those that have not been born again can read scripture and apply the principles there because the principles agree with them, the born again believer reads and applies them because he agrees with God.

And there is a significant difference between the two.

It is unfortunate that man can read scripture and think that by his own efforts that he can ingratiate himself to God. But, even believers can fall into that pattern...right? We can convince ourselves that by tithing or church attendance or...whatever, this somehow makes us "better" Christians.

But the effective power of God in our lives always derives from our yielding to Him. When He is in control, it will be as evident as it is when we are in control.

God bless.

6. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No thankyou Bill I'm dusting you off my shoes. You won't receive the truth. You just jump to your own conclusions and then accuse others falsely. It happens alot with Calvinist who are convinced of them selves like you.
    MB

7. th1bill

th1bill Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the Holy Spirit did not give you that and you did no research, either. I follow neither of the two main camps, I am, and it is recorded on these forums, a Biblicist!

8. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No Matter what you call your self. It doesn't make you right. You know absolutely nothing about me yet your still willing to judge me as if you had the right. I'd say Pharisitical Hypocrisy would be a better title and a lot closer to the truth.
    MB

9. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry you have chosen to follow Satan, it is a miserable po9sition to be found in but your statement directly draws on the Satan inspired, world adopted, misinterpretation of Matthew 7:1. This is a gross misuse of God´s Holy word.

The contest for the propoer application of this verse in contained in the first paragraph od Matthew 7, verses 1-12. The greater context of the Bible does not change this and I will deal with just this paragraph. This passage teaches us the we are to judge but that we are to d owhat I have come to know as a Spiritual Inventory first! To get the log out of my eye I must get right with God. This, I seek after each day.
    Now, please, what did I call myself?

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you hate me so much? is it because you are so full of hate?. You started this demeaning language with your first post to me and you have not let up. I admit that I have not been kind to you since you've started this nonsense. Is this a racial hatred. Do you hate me because of what I said or because of what you think I said. It is obvious that you do hate me by the intent of your mean spirit. How are you going to explain hating me to the Father? We are suppose to be brothers in Christ but that can't be because you are so busy hurling hateful remarks at me. People are known to be Christians because of their love for one another. Yet you have no such love for me. You disagree with me that's OK I disagree with a lot of people here but I don't hate any of them for our disagreements. Not even you. You have manipulated me into this arguement because of my first post on this thread. This is it below.

Read it again then tell me why you hate me. Because this is really what started you on your quest to let me know for sure that you are full of HATE.
    MB

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is not the Spirit of God always present everywhere? Just because that is true does not mean people will live for Jesus. They may blaspeheme the Holy Spirit. Just look at Judas.

Could give further explanation?

12. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You, might, consider, possibly, for, yourself, a, class, in, English, composition,!

13. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you have nailed it brother!

14. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Could give further explanation?[/QUOTE]

we can ONLY be successful in living for the Lord when we consider ourselves crucifed in/with christ, dead to sin, and allow the HS now to empower and enable us to live as we should...

Its the Lord Himself in us that empowers us to live as we should...

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The only trouble I have with that is that God uses imperfect people. I do not see spirituality being measured in terms of anything else other than relationship with Jesus. We know if we have a good relationship or not. We cannot boast about a relationship but we can boast about being spiritual if we measure it any other way. The righteous rise seven times and rise again. God knows we will fail. I also believe that there are times when he helps us fail so that we will draw closer in our relationship with Him and trust Him more instead of ourselves.

I think there is a difference between maturity and sinlessness.

16. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neighbor, what you perceive as hate is so very wrong. What I am not is a polite liar. I am very much Bible centered for my life-style and I admit, any that have not sought after God will have diffi8culty in recognizing the love of God because there i8s so much polite lying in the world and thyere is none among the mekmbers of the Bride of Christ. You see, a iie is just that, a lie and each lie is another sin to repent of. And when a child of God repents, they turn 180 degrees and work nhever to do that again.

A holy life means that the person is living a life set apart to God and anything else is a formula for access into eternity in Hell. Ny admitted goal is to turn you from there, into Heaven. If you think me rude and hateful, I wish it not be but what is, is.

17. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At 67 I am not likely to go there and your intended insult isw noted and discarded. My suggestion was just that because you failed to comprehend both myself and the scriptures. I did not just lash out at you.

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I forgive you in spite of what you may think of me or how you may judge me. Not because you asked for it but because I will not carry a grudge against anyone. I wish nothing but peace for you.
    MB

19. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if you are going to tell others, how, to live,, and correct their spiritual faults,,,, you should learn, how, to, write.

Never too old to learn brother. At 53 I'm by at least a decade older than the next youngin' in my college algebra class! And you know something? I can learn something from the kiddos!

20. th1bill

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Well i´ve een acused of a good deal of education over the years but the truth is that I did, almost graduate the eigth grade bef0re I enlisted i the Army and tested for my GED. I took a couple of courses at the Community College but after the second one I still knew more thyan the teacher did and could not see the logic in tossing good money after bad ad quit the endevor but I hope you enjoy your cloass better than I did mine.