1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Headcoverings for Women

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by mercy4all, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What kind of prayer shawl do you use Gina? All I can think of is the Jewish Tallit, but only men wear them. Apparently I'm ignorant of women's head coverings. :)

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The one I got was bought at a place that specialized in all things Jewish. A tallit doesn't go over the head at all times, it kinda drapes over the shoulders on men. (though some women have taken to wearing them too, yikes!)

The last one I had was olive green and did have fringe on it, but they weren't numbered. Here is a link to a picture: http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-page-main/ehow/images/a06/9v/v1/do-malaysian-women-wear_-800x800.jpg That's not me, it's some Malaysian woman I found on a google search but that's about exactly how I wear it and what it looks like.

#42 Gina B, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks! I like that!

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Gina, contact the Prayer Shawl Ministry to see if there's a church or other group in your area. If you don't crochet or knit, perhaps you can donate supplies to make one in exchange for one made especially for you.

http://www.shawlministry.com/

Just a thought that may be helpful.

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I've never understood women wanting to have a head covering in church, but then...I'm not a woman, sooo :rolleyes:

I'll just add that to all the other things I dont understand about women. :BangHead:

#45 Alive in Christ, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012
  6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

AiC, let me explain it this way.
    Have you ever gone to pray and felt the need to cover your face with your hands? That type of reverence is sort of in line with what a head covering provides for a woman.

Even without one, I've used my hair in place of it when I put my head down, simply putting my hair down provides much the same benefits.

As far as wearing one at other times simply as a reminder to treat our husbands with respect and to be gentle, it does do that.

AND DO YA SEE ME WEARING ONE RIGHT NOW? Nope. ROFL

(love ya honey)

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Since DHK and I have argued this before, I see little reason to do it again. From the archives, this thread covers the discussion pretty well and there might be a second thread around somewhere as well.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=47018&highlight=head+covering

Oh and there are comments in the thread by several member who have since been banned. This thread as far as I can remember WAS NOT the cause of their banning.

I'll go look and see if I can find another. This topic comes up here every now and again.

8. milby

milby Member

Then why don't you stay out of this thread so we can hear some new opinions on the issue. Just saying..:)

9. menageriekeeper

Hmm, didn't find anything else, but the link above is a pretty thorough discussion and yes, DHK and I still disagree. :)

10. Alive in Christ

ummmm..no.

Well...OK. :thumbs:

Now I'm confused again. :tonofbricks::laugh:

Well thats kinda nice.

Does this mean you are mad at hubby now? :laugh:

(love ya honey)[/QUOTE]

11. menageriekeeper

LOL Milby, this is like C/A discussions. There ARE NO new arguments just the same ones over and over and over and over and over.......

:D

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, I like the part of this thread that Gina brought up about the prayer shawl.

I'd like to learn more about that.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Really? You've never covered your face when you pray? I do sometimes. Maybe it's a woman thing.

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are Christians, some Mennonites, where the women still wear head coverings and they point to Paul's writings when discussing why this is proper. Amish women wear a head covering. Some orders of nuns wear head coverings.

From Wikipedia:

Orthodox churches, at least ones I have visited in Russia and other places in Europe would not let a women inside without a head covering.

This is an example, IMHO, where modern conservative and fundamental Christians tend to ignore this writing of Paul's, but insist on men having authority .. whatever that means .. over women.

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why not wear a Burka to show authority and submission? The purpose of women wearing a headcovering was respect. A dignified woman would show respect in church and I assume everywhere. How does that translate in our society today?

I am waiting for women to consider a field and buy it, and from her earnings she plants a vineyard.

#56 gb93433, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

How does "Thou shall not kill" translate into modern society?

What does wearing a Burka have to do with this discussion?

And do you pronounce your name jeebee? Just wondering. :D

18. Alive in Christ

Actually it it is perfectly acceptable..if one heeds the scriptures..for a woman to preach, but that can wait for a dedicated thread.

19. Alive in Christ

Someome asked if I have felt the need ever cover myself when praying.

I wanted to add this to the response I gave.

I honestly have never even considered "covering" myself to pray. About as close as I have come to that is leaning forward, and resting my arms and head on the pew in front of me. But I am not really "covering" myself. Rather its more just a case of "dedicating" those minutes to God exclusivly.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If a woman went to one of the countries where she was expected to wear a burka and did not she would most likely find trouble. The point is that just because what one culture finds in good taste and shows respect means nothing in another culture.

My grandmother when she was living told me years ago that she was glad when women could wear pants. She told me that the dresses could not show the ankle. Kinda hard working in a field hauling hay and milking the cows. So according to that time every woman today should be wearing dresses today when they work and the dresses should never show the ankle because that was the custom. So be sure to wear a head covering because that was the custom then. Be sure to wear the same clothes as they did then because that was the custom then even if it is not now. Why conveniently pick and choose if you believe that you must wear a head covering in American culture? Why not do exactly as they did then in every way?