1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hebrews 6:4-8

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mickes, Aug 5, 2003.

1. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Sorry Tim but the scriptures say nothing about Hymenaeus and Alexander being saved. Faith is not always, and in this case wasn't, saving faith! There are too many scriptures that go against one losing their salvation, of which I have provided several. One can lose their faith if it is not "saving faith," but one cannot lose salvation.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— (Ephesians 2:8)

Past tense, Tim! Does God give the gift of eternal life and then take it away? What kind of grace is that? :eek:

Thank you for answering my question in the previous post. Now you have not answered the latest one: "Can our sins be unforgiven?"

2. Tim too

Tim too New Member

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. 1 John 1:9-10 NIV

If we confess, i.e. continue confessing and He will forgive, not if we confessed our sin. Our salvation is in the relationship we have with Christ. You see it is an ongoing relationship not just a one time pledge. The Bible is FULL of warnings against falling away. Believers are continually urged to stand firm.

As to my view being powerless you are wrong. Jesus said if we ABIDE in Him we WILL BEAR MUCH FRUIT. That is power. This namby-pamby stuff of praying a prayer and live anyway I want because someone taught me I can NEVER lose my salvation is not.

I am afraid that we are going to have to agree to disagree. I used to see it you way, but I can't anymore the Bible is full of too many warnings against falling away. This is my last post. [​IMG]

In the love of Christ,
    Tim

3. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Yea, I guess if you can't answer the serious questions your ideology raises, just walk away! :rolleyes:

4. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

"For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of Grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people." -Hebrews 10:26-30

I cannot interpret this Scripture as referring to a false professor. First, "we" are under consideration. The context reveals that "we" are Christians. Second, we who are under consideration have been sanctified by the blood of the Son of God. Such can never be said of any but the elect of God. The last statement reads, "...The Lord shall judge his people."

5. David Mark

David Mark New Member

To me, life's experiences will prove that God himself is faithful toward the believer/child.

We fail, we fall, we struggle, we disobey, we don't believe, we sin, we run ahead, we fall behind, we suffer. Some (seemingly) much more than others and some over longer periods of instructional time. We are being made perfect (holy) like him. He is our Father. What son/daughter doesn't want to be like his or her father? I do want to be like Him!

While we are here on this earth, we've got a lot to learn about love and this new life and sometimes it doesn't come easy. God teaches his children how to be holy. He desires them to be holy and will do what he desires in the lives of his children.

To me it seems this "issue" has been going on for almost 2000 years as evident with Hebrews. It's understandable too. That is why this amazing grace is called AMAZING GRACE. It is truly amazing [​IMG]

It is obvious to me that the author of Hebrews was addressing immature Christians who were not confident in their new calling and that God himself was the author and finisher of their faith. We must believe on him whom he hath sent and do what he has commanded to fully see what this life of faith is all about.

It's after I (we) have failed (big time) and we find that God has never left us that we realize that he has been working in us the whole time. Then Romans 8:28 really has meaning and the refinement of the Father's discipline is no longer despised. His discipline is tough at the time, but no longer despised and it does refine.

I love the Father for being faithful, calling me and keeping me safe from myself and safe from evil. He knows the very edge of my limits. He seems to know the maximum I can take and seems to provide an escape when things get really bad because of my failures. I'm convinced that God knows how to save the lost and he knows how to keep his children.

If I was to actually LOSE my salvation, Jesus would have to suffer again and that is not going to happen. Therefore I do agree with the author of Hebrews as to the absurdity of losing salvation then regaining it.

It's a gift. God is perfect, trustworthy, full of mercy, full of pity, righteous, holy, tender and just and is not a re-gifter.

God is not man nor does he think like a man.

Just me, ;)

Dave.