1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hebrews and the Warnings in Hebrews

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Guido, May 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have so long endeavored to comprehend Hebrews, believing myself to have salvation for my faith in Christ and the gospel, but not discerning the meaning of the epistle, because of the warnings that taken together confound my understanding, having searched out sundry interpretations thereof, but being unable to settle on one for contradictions within them, which so long disturbed me because of my fear I was lost.

So what do you think is the meaning of Hebrews and its warning passages?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hebrews was a word of exhortation to a early church undergoing persecution.
    Some were departing from their professions of faith, indicating it was a fleshly human trust rather than a God given saving faith.
    The writer sets forth the Lord Jesus as the only hope for any who will be saved.
    He is superior to all men and angels.
    He came to redeem the Covenant children given to him by the Father. Hebrews2:9-16....the seed of Abraham.
    The contrast is highlighted in Heb.6:1-12

• Like Like x 2
  3. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, the Book of Hebrews contains several warning passages, of which many interpretations have been derived. One states that some people, having almost believed but then having rejected the gospel, will never receive salvation though they earnestly repent. Other interpretations say other things. I believe the promises spoken by Jesus that "He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" and "All that the Father giveth to me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    so what about 10:29? "of how much sorer punishment shall he be counted worthy who the Son of God did trample on, and the blood of the covenant did count a common thing, in which he was sanctified, and to the Spirit of the grace did despite?". I know not of ANY who is not a true believer, to be called "sanctified", by the blood of Jesus Christ. Or, 3:12-14, "See, brethren, lest there shall be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in the falling away from the living God, but exhort ye one another every day, while the To-day is called, that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of the sin, for partakers we have become of the Christ, if the beginning of the confidence unto the end we may hold fast"

• Like Like x 1
  5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If one understands sanctification precedes one's faith, ,2 Thessalonians 2:13, 1 Peter 1:2, Hebrews 10:29, Acts of the Apostles 7:51.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nothing contradicts jn6:37-44.....nothing.
    Hebrews2 seals the deal.
    It is a Covenant redemption as God is not willing that any elect person perish.
    When you see a person suggest biblical salvation can be lost, that indicates they do not understand saving grace at all. They will call grace a heresy and offer man centered semi pelagian defective understanding instead.

7. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    that in itself is a contradiction! WHY would God "not be willing" for something that is not even possible? This is a non starter! Unless, when it says that "God is not willing that any should perish", that He does mean ALL humans. This only makes any sense of the words

8. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The writer of Hebrews is dealing with a period of time when Christianity was beginning to be seen as a separate religion from Judaism by the Roman government.

Early in church history, the Roman government considered Christianity a sect of Judaism. Judaism was officially recognized by the government and there were protections for such.

When the Christian church began to be viewed as a separate religion, and suffered persecution because of it, some considered aligning themselves with Judaism to avoid persecution.

Many of warnings deal with returning to Judaism, which denies the person and work of Jesus.

peace to you

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can go over each warning in Hebrews, one at a time, provided you identify them with chapter and verse.

But we can go over the two references you provided in the above post:
    You put "He that believeth on me hath everlasting lift" which appears to me to be the KJV of John 6:47.
    Two observations,
    (1) the "on me" or "in me" phrase is not included in the Critical Text, but is included in the Majority Text.

(2) The Greek word (eis) translated as "on" or "in" above actually means "into." And lots of CT verses have the phrase "into Me."

How does an individual believer get put "into" or within Christ? God puts individuals of His choosing into Christ based on crediting their faith in Christ as righteousness. Thus you can believe till the cows come home, unless God accepts your faith, you will not be placed into Christ and have everlasting life. Salvation does not depend on the man who wills, but on God alone, Romans 9:16.

Next, I think you referenced John 6:37. Here, I believe, the act of "giving to Me" refers to God choosing an individual and placing them within Christ. So the issue is not whether you believed in Christ, but whether or not God accepted your faith and placed you within Christ.

10. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that the warnings in Hebrews pertain to a true Christian sinning deliberately and falling under God's temporal judgement, and that the warnings in Hebrews present a danger of loss of rewards.

I agree that they speak of believers, as lately I have found assurance of this by pondering some verses in the Word of God, both those I read recently and those I recall from past reading.

I'm not sure if I used any words similar to those from another source so I apologize if I did. In that case I'm not taking credit for them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is a free gift of God, available to anyone who receives it by faith in Jesus. "And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." See Revelation 22 KJV

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life."

John 3:16 KJV

#12 Guido, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
  13. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV:
    Rev 22:17
    And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

NASB:

Rev 22:17
    The Spirit and the bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires, take the water of life without cost.

Here we see an action by the person before they can take the water of life without cost. And who determines the one "who desires?" God and God alone.

And to repeat, in John 3:16, the phrase whosoever believeth in him, actually reads in the Greek "everyone believing into Him."

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 2:1-4 tells the lost not to neglect so great a salvation. The Greek word translated "neglect" refers to being careless with or to lack regard for something. So the idea is the person has heard and understood the gospel, but has not accepted or fully accepted the gospel.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Boulomai...decreed, destined and purposed.
    Not one elect person will be lost.
    ALL the Father gives shall come.
    No more, no less

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No....taint so:Sick:Cautious

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 4:12-13 simply says God knows our thoughts and we cannot fool Him when we give an account of our thoughts and deeds. This applies both to those saved and those not saved.

19. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you're saying. But I only depend on the KJV, as I believe it is translated from the most accurate manuscripts. Can you find the same phrasing in the Received Text?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here the bogus claim that 3 of the 4 soils of Matthew 13 did not hear and understand the gospel. Just read it for yourselves.