1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heisman Trophy

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Dec 10, 2005.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Agreed. You could make the argument that Reggie Bush influences USC success less than Vince Young does for the Longhorns, but that ship sailed. Still, I don't see penalizing Reggie Bush just because he's on a more talented team. I believed it was Bush, then Young.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Young dominated all year long, with the exception of the A&M game.

Either way they are both great players, and it was a great matchup.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reggie Bush's supposed clincher of the Heisman-- his 500+ all-purpose yards against Fresno St.-- was really made possible because his defense couldn't stop the opposition. It was a no-brainer that FSU couldn't shut down USC's offense, but if they (USC) had played decent defense in that game, they would have worked the clock in the 2nd half and, with a lead of at least 18 points by 4th qtr., removed most starters. So "penalizing" R.Bush because he is on a "more talented team" is a lot of nonsense. But he won the annual popularity contest called the Heisman Trophy, so forget it.

Perhaps in years to come, as long as there is still no playoff system, there could be a push to delay Heisman voting (and perhaps other awards) until after the bowl games-- essentially the same thing that the 'final polls' once went through. Because the bowl games unquestionably are not just post-season exhibitions any more; they are games of importance to the season.

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I am still leaning in the Bush camp. But Young did have a fantastic year. The only game he didn't bring the juice was the A&M game. It seems a great deal of folks weren't paying attention to Vince most of the year or seeing any of his games. Then when the hype starts, Reggie goes agaist FSU, and the whole contest is over. Reggie wasn't a star every game either, he had some flat games.

I was at the Rose Bowl game (cheering for USC since my brother is on it). After the game though, I got quite sick of hearing USC complain about the once in a lifetime performace of Young. Young was doing that every week, its just that no one on the West coast cares to watch Big-12 games. Didn't anyone see Young int he Rose Bowl last year!