1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Heliocentricity: Behind the Times

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Apr 14, 2016.

1. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

"When all is said and done, to insist that a non-c speed of light is nothing more than an artifact of a "nonphysical" choice of coordinates is to make a wrong over-simplification. When we wave goodbye to an astronaut who is about to make a high-speed return journey to the nearest star, it would be wrong to maintain that the slowing of his clock is nothing more than an artifact of a coordinate choice. It isn't: when the astronaut returns, he will have aged less than we have, and there's nothing illusory about that."

Basically, sure, technically helio vs geo isn't "logically" any different, but the point is that we use a heliocentric model, and to use a geocentric one would be a very strange perception of the universe, from our point of view.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see, Dr. Aardsma said: According to this theory the geocentric and heliocentric viewpoints are equally valid representations of reality, and it makes no sense whatsoever scientifically to speak of one as being true and the other false.

But you say it has been proven that one is true and the other false.

Though he probably doesn't have your degree of firsthand experience in exhaustively testing and independently verifying the postulates of Relativity, I'm going to trust Aardsma's summary of the conclusions.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's just saying that the speed of light in reality is not always c.

Though it's a non sequitur, you're applying this to the truth value of the heliocentric model. I'm not disputing heliocentrism. It is said that both models are equally justifiable, not just geometrically, but dynamically. I've posted enough supporting evidence. To say that one is obviously true and the other false makes no scientific sense.

Heliocentricity is behind the times. The accepted cosmology is Relativity, which renders the debate meaningless.

4. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

^ I agree with the above.

I thought you were saying that geocentricity is better, and was contesting that.

But of course, it makes logical sense that all reference frames are equally valid.

(Except heliocentric is a better reference frame for our point of view)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you.

No, the others here are arguing that heliocentricity is true and had been scientifically proven.

6. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

well that's just craziness :D

7. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we (or at least I) are arguing that the earth is not at rest while the rest of the universe spins around it.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Assuming an earth in motion is a valid model according to Relativity. So is assuming an earth at rest. Both models can be equally justified.

That's the reality according to Relativity.

9. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a coordinate system, or in fact?

Assuming the earth is totally at rest forces us to also assume that distant galaxies are now spinning around us at a speed many times the speed of light. Which would be a violation of general relativity.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here we go again.

The reality is in fact. Heliocentricity is not proven, and you have no knowledge or experience or question on the matter that the physicists haven't hammered on. It's what they're saying. Not me. I've established that it's what they're saying. Disbelieve the scientists if you like, but that the physicists say what they say is not my fault, and I'm not the one to be taken to task on it.

Heliocentricity is the preferred model for a host of reasons, most of which are philosophical, but there is no technological or medical advance or knowledge that depends on it, not even the knowledge of God.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You say heliocentricity is not proven. I would ask you to explain:

1. The changing of seasons, specifically, why is it summer in the southern hemisphere in December and summer in the northern hemisphere in July.

2. The retrograde of planets across the sky.

3. The changing distances between earth and the other planets.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

12. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

lol

That's an observation of how light works, not proof of heliocentricity :)

Rob_BW, you mentioned fact vs relativity. Well, I'll start by saying that relativity is not a fact, far from it. However, in the list of realities that we've had throughout the years(Atlas holding the earth on his shoulders, believing the earth is flat, etc, etc), relativity is the best reality we've had so far.

Or...the best theory describing reality that we've ever had ;)

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, Einstein, Hawking and a host of others say it is not proven.

14. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I didn't get answers to my previous questions, then answer me this:

Does the earth orbit around the sun?

Is the sun at the center of our solar system?

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's ask Albert.

Hey, Albert, is the sun the center of the solar system?

Albert: Off kourse eet ees zee zenter off zee solar seestem.

Doesn't that prove that the earth is moving around the sun?

Albert: Naht att all. Vee kahn assume zat zee erse ees aht rest, and steel explain zee observations, soh zeer ees noe trus too any off zee coordinate seestems, beekoss zeer ees noe absolute space by vitch vee may establish vezzer ort naht a body ees truly aht rest.

Eet ees all in zee eye off zee beholder.

16. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I only have one question, then. Does relativity allow for distant galaxies to be orbiting the earth at speed many times the speed of light?

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me put it to you this way, and for a more detailed description, find a pdf version of The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking.

Your notions about modern science, and about what a scientist says when he speaks of natural or physical laws are nothing like what they really mean. When a scientist speaks of a law, he doesn't speak of something that is consistent in every condition and frame of reference. Relativity does not apply to Quantum Mechanics and vice versa, and even the two theories of Relativity have some problems jiving. When a scientist speaks of reality, he is only speaking of the vantage points of observers. When he says that the speed of light will always be c, and in the general theory, c can be practically any value depending on the frame of reference of the observer, and no observer can know whether or not what he is observing is the truth of the thing itself, or if his view is being affected by something he cannot yet discern.

To the modern scientist, truth cannot be known. Observations of the cosmos can only be explained with model-dependent theories, and every model by necessity begins with an arbitrary assumption.

Relativity does not say that assuming an earth-centered model requires the stars to whirl about faster than what we think is the speed of light, only that it will appear to be so from the vantage point of the earth, and the laws can be tweaked to explain it.

So whether or not the earth moves depends upon ones preference. Relativity is the only cosmology that can justify the heliocentric model based on what we've learned thus far, but it is not the only model that it can equally justify.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you should have known the answer to your own question. Cautious

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Vie den ist it vinter in July in Australia and zummer in Deutschland?