1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hell is a real place

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was speaking with a LGBTQ individual today and I warned him of the fires of Hell but he said he enjoys warm weather. People these days think of Hell as a joke and I get this often when I open air but Hell is no joke. Sadly many christians do not take it seriously and few warn about it in their evangelism, and sermons. We need the good old fashioned Fire & Brimstone preachers to return!

2. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hell is a literal place, where the unsaved will suffer eternal punishment. However, these is no way of saying from the teaching in the Bible, that the terms like "fire" are literal, or metaphorical. Again I say that this is the saddest doctrine in the whole Bible.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t know how old you are, but in the past those types of sermons were merely catering to the choir. It was all about emotion – preaching on Hell to a people who believed the sermon was not directed to them. When we consider that we are only one pulpit generation away from the popularity of that type of preaching, it is not hard to realize that the “Hell Fire & Brimstone” preachers of yesterday have contributed to the state of Christianity today. You simply cannot scare someone into salvation.

I would go so far as to say that this misplace of evangelistic preaching (from the pulpit to the church instead of from the church to the world) has contributed to the decline in doctrine today. Make no mistake, brother, Hell Fire and Brimstone preaching tickled the ears of the congregation and I suspect in many cases it still does.

I think what you are encountering is the fact that Hell does not resonate with those you are trying to reach (which is why the message is shrugged off so easily). I would suggest starting with the concept of sin and working from there. Once you meet resistance, back off and leave on good terms (so that you or someone else may pick up down the road). Evangelism stops being evangelism when it becomes an argument.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Someone (I think it was Moody) said that he couldn’t preach on Hell unless he preach with tears.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, I hope you don't mind me saying something here, as you are addressing someone else? If you were to read the Gospels, like Mark 9:42-50, you will see that Jesus Himself preached "fiery sermons", which are indeed needed. They are not to "scare" anyone, but as a grave warning because of the severity of "eternal punishment". That is why Jesus told Judas, that it would have been better if he were not even born.

6. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not shamed to say as a over 55 man, that i have spent many hours in tears for the lost, especially for dear ones close to me, who cannot see the urgent need to repent and believe the Gospel. How my heart wishes this doctrine were not true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t mind you commenting at all. And yes, Jesus certainly preached on Hell. I do not mean to appear to shy away from preaching Hell. The difference is context. To those who reject the concept of sin and the concept of divine judgment, Hell is and always will be a joke. Jesus addressed a people who accepted both sin and judgment, and from there they needed to know the consequences.

This is how God used, I believe, Johnathan Edward’s sermon to spark revival. He placed a mirror before them and God opened their eyes. But I have also seen men preaching Hell on the streets (a couple of summers ago I saw a “preacher” at a festival yelling that those who use marijuana will burn in Hell). So there is a right way (a biblical way) and a wrong way (an unbiblical way) to warn of judgment.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was another account where a pastor told another he preached on Hell. The other’s reply was he hoped it was not without anguish and weeping. I can’t remember to whom this was attributed.

It is a heartbreaking message.

9. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen to the sick stuff some say about God and the lost in hell:

"One student asked Dr. Gerstner, “How can I be happy in heaven if I’m aware that one of my loved ones is in hell?” Dr. Gerstner responded: “Don’t you know that when you are in heaven you will be so sanctified that you could look at your own mother in hell and rejoice in the display of the justice of God.” And Sproul burst out laughing, informing Dr. Gerstner that his statement was absolutely ridiculous."

2010 Ligonier National Conference - R.C. Sproul (II)

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only the wicked would take pleasure in the destruction of the wicked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sadly, this ad has been playing on our local CBS radio station. The end is so stark and the man has no idea what hell is all about - since he doesn't believe it anyway!

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  12. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    sadly this man, and millions like him, have been deceived by the devil into believing his lies. Only the mercy of the Lord can reach such people.

13. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Teaching (anything) particularly "about" Scripture is a subject that requires the Teacher to know whom his "students" are.

IMO, according to Scripture, and observing our example, JESUS, and HOW He taught, which included BOTH, teaching to masses, (skeptics AND followers) AND teaching separately exclusively to Followers; reveals Jesus' own teaching methods.

The skeptics, were not bombarded with the threat and fear of the consequences.

Scripture teaches to FIRST hear, read, learn ABOUT Jesus, ABOUT God. The Who, What, When, Why and Where.

And then ~ How God, Jesus "relates" to individuals.

The "punch line" IS, there is "no relationship" between God, Jesus and an individual, WHEN the individual KNOWS nothing ABOUT God, and chooses to NOT know ABOUT God, and chooses to NEVER have a relationship with God.

Even a "skeptic" can comprehend "relationships" are not "one-sided".
    Even a "skeptic" can comprehend "they" can be in love with someone, who has NO interest in having a relationship with them.

The entire Scriptural message, is teaching God/Jesus absolutely DOES was a relationship with every man, and it is entirely the man's OPTION to choose to have a relationship with God/Jesus, and He will not REJECT the man, (as human's often do).

It is not necessary for a TEACHER, to open a conversation with a skeptic, with threat of hell fire.

Point being ~ everything has a consequence (good or bad).

A believer IS prepared to learn both. (Prepared, precisely because he has been enlightened to the Truth, trusts it, and submitted in faithfulness)

A skeptic IS not prepared to discuss both. They KNOW not God/Jesus. They "WANT" to argue the "the threat of hell fire".

Why? Should be the big question, should "the skeptic" introduce the topic.
    Why? Would they believe in HELL, a place they have never seen, when they do not believe in Christ Jesus/ God, whom they have never seen?

The subject of hell fire can easily be put on hold to a skeptic, if they bring it up, and a believer does not need to bring up, to a skeptic, the threat of hell fire.

And the opportunity returns for the "teacher" to control the "teaching" by teaching ABOUT God/Jesus.

And the primary Scriptural knowledge about "teaching" Scriptural knowledge IS; It is by INVITATION, not FORCE.

The Temple is where men voluntarily went to HEAR ABOUT GOD.
    Jesus often went to the courtyard of the Temple, where others "teachers/prophets" would go to speak, AND any man of the public could choose to go and hear.

Men (disciples) often went ahead of Jesus, and announced Jesus would be speaking, and whomever "wanted" to, could arrive at the place to hear Him speak.

Churches announce, they will hold a meeting (service) for anyone who wants to Hear about Jesus/God.

Revivals...same thing.

IF you encounter a skeptic ~ WHO wants to discuss God/Jesus....if they are NOT a believer, they are NOT in the position to BE the "teacher"....so don't let them.

A skeptic WHO wants to discuss God/Jesus, OFTEN wants you to DEFEND God for having a place called hell, that is a tormenting place for unbelievers.

God does not require "DEFENDING".

It is quite simple. An individual man has TWO choices.
    1) Stand with God.
    or
    2) Stand against God.

It is quite simple.
    An individual man WHO chooses a standing with God, receives what God has prepared for him.
    An individual man WHO chooses a standing against God, receives what God has prepared for him.

Period.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Precisely!

An unbeliever is not qualified to teach belief in God or what God has prepared for all men. (believers and skeptics).

"he" (the person in your video) is knowledgeable and skilled in ballet.

His "opinion" "about God" is about as useful as a person's lack of knowledge and skill in ballet, to pretend they are an authority about ballet.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is sad (and it is amazing how much he is looking like his father...physically, I mean).

This is why I think sermons on Hell do not constitute the gospel (the focus is misplaced) but that Hell is a part of the gospel message (the condemnation from which we are saved). A sermon on Hell would not benefit Ron Reagan as the only thing it could accomplish (if it "worked") would be to drive the man to another self-centered act (trying to change in order to avoid Hell). But as a part of the gospel message and an explanation of God's nature - His wrath towards sin - it is an important part of the message as a whole. In the end, however, we do not turn to Christ because we are afraid of Hell. We turn to Christ because we arrive at a grief over our sin and our rebellious nature towards Creator God, and we repent.

Again, it is sad. But at the same time I would much rather see the honesty in the world acting as the world than seeing the blend of worldly "Christianity" that permeates our nation today. It is better, I believe, to actually see the dichotomy that exists between the world and the Church than to pretend we are a "Christian nation".

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The cure for the problem is not to quit preaching on Hell, but to have compassion when we do so. John R. Rice used to make the point that any man who could preach on Hell without weeping was backslidden.
    Actually, you can and should. The Bible says in Jude v. 23: "And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."

My wife was saved at age 20 when she heard a message on Hell by a visiting evangelist in her church. She wept the whole sermon, then went forward and got saved.

One of my mentors, Dr. Monroe Parker, used to preach a very scholarly sermon on Hell, through which many were saved. The difference between him and other evangelists who preached on Hell? Dr. Parker was filled with the Spirit when he did so.

Such preaching never tickled my ears. It should be preached to the church with the goal of getting them out to rescue souls.
    Again, what is necessary is (1) compassion, and (2) the fullness of the Spirit, neither of which I see in the author of the OP. (And yes, I've confronted him on these to no avail, so I finally gave up on him

• Like Like x 1
  19. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mac wrote a book on sin called The Vanishing Conscience.

20. AndyMartin

AndyMartin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And also for repentance of sin BEFORE conversion, and not the modern day heresy that says that to repent means only to change one's mind on Jesus Christ, and after you are saved you can say you are sorry for your sins! What utter rubbish!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.