1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hell

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Kay, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Kay

Kay New Member

Why is God called a consuming fire? It says that those in Hell will go to the lake of fire? I don't get it?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kay, I see this reference in Deuteronomy 4 and 9 and again in Hebrews 12. (I just looked up "consuming fire" at biblegateway.com)

When I read these passages, it appears to me that the point is that God is not playing around with sin. He is going to rid Himself of sin and cannot be in it's presence. He is too holy.

The lake of fire isn't the same fire. This is reference to eternal punishment.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    to the wicked God is a consuming fire.

In Rev 14:10 Hell is described as "Fire and Brimstone" that torments the wicked and we see that it does so "IN The PRESENCE of the Lamb and of his holy ones".

Hell takes place as "the Second death" in Rev 20 as a lake of fire and brimstone.

(John always refers to hell in this way)

in Romans 6 Paul says at the end of the chapter 'the wages of sin is death" he speaks primarily of the "second death" that we see in Rev 20 where the wicked are cast alive into the lake of fire and brimstone after being raised in the "resurrection of the unjust" that follows the 1000 year millennium ALSO described in Rev 20.

in Christ,

Bob

4. Kay

Kay New Member

But since God is a consuming fire couldn't the lake of fire be a place where those will go for purification? Like gold refined by fire? It would be a way to rid the world of sin. Not an actually fire where people burn and burn? I am not saying I am positive I believe this really I am just seeking truth.