1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hell

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jun85, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Jun85

Jun85 New Member

If one does not believe in a hell, then can that individual still believe in Christianity?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.As it denies the wrath of God, makes the cross problematic, and down plays mans sin. All are primary parts of the gospel.

3. standingfirminChrist

One who believes in Jesus Christ believes the Word He spoke.

Jesus warned often about hell in His Word. If you don't believe there is a hell, how can it be said you believe in Him?

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

No, Hell is a literal burning place that Jesus confirms with His own Word. To deny that Hell exists one would have to deny the legitimate reason Jesus went to the cross.

5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

As Paul we go out that we might save some of them. Going out and reaching men is very important not to just save men from hell, but that they might know Jesus and through Him know our Father in heaven.

It is a shame that some see some men without any hope from saving them from hell and that they might know God's love for the world through Jesus Christ and that there is hope for all men through Jesus Christ Our Lord and Our God.

We don't want to believe in a hell, but the world does have a way out and His name is Jesus Christ and whosoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal. We all are vessels of destruction, so who can save us from this body of death, praise be to Jesus

John 3:17
    For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

6. Jun85

Jun85 New Member

What happens to people who are unsaved? (With biblical references)

Thank you for all your responses

7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Welcome to tne BB. Your question(s) leave a bit to be desired in the wording, IMO.

Many "believe in Christianity" without having the foggiest inkling of what that entails.

I do not want to overcomplicate this, at this time, not having that much time, at the moment.

But I would add that, IMO, one "does not believe what the Bible teaches", if he or she denies the reality of "hell".

Could that person be saved? Absolutely. Our salvation is not dependent on whether or not we can teach a class in Theology, but we are saved, by grace, through faith in Christ. The basis of our salvation is the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, on the cross.

Those two things are the basis of our salvation, the first on God's part; teh second on ours. I'll not get into the various doctrinal differences that many have in arriving at those two points, here.

Jesus never asked Nicodemus whether or not he believed in 'hell' before one could be saved.
    Paul never asked the jailer whether or not he believed in hell, before he believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.
    And Philip never asked this of the eunuch, before he could be saved.

Is it important? Absolutely. It is very important, IMO.

It is simply not the necessary starting point that many give it. Philip started where the eunuch was, in Scripture. So did Paul and others - started where the person or persons were, and went from there. But personally, I would not start at this point, unless it came up from one I was talking with. I simply don't want to overly complicate what I'm trying to get across, unnecessarily.

The object is to preach Jesus, as did Philip. That is that Jesus is the Savior, and can and will save an individual and give the gift of eternal life. I want to see people come into the kingdom of God; I would not try to teach Systematic Theology to an unsaved individual, who cannot understand much of this, in the first place, to start with.

(Scriptures on request for what I have posted, but I don't have the time to look each of them up now, and do not intend to guess at any and have a wroing verse. Thanks for understanding this.)

Gotta' run.

Ed

9. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Welcome to the BB.

Hell is as much a part of Christianity as heaven is. An element of our just God is that if there is a place of utter comfort and contentment, there must also be a place of utter discomfort and discontentment.

The Lord spoke more about hell than heaven during his stay here. To disbelieve the Word of God is to deny Christ.

May I ask why you ask?

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't want to jump to conclusions because your questions could very well be serious and sincere. However I have been on boards for over ten years now and all my red flags go up when I see this kind of wording in a question. So before I hop on what I believe is a merry-go-round let me ask you a simple question.

Do you believe in hell? Yes or No.

11. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

H E L L

It is possible, but the denial of that basic truth makes the possibility very unlikely. RevJW.

12. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

H E L L

I believe the scripture, (which has proven itself to me) within which is taught by my Lord the literal place he called HELL that was originally prepared for the devil and his angels.

But, I do not believe in a place called HELL.

I know beyond any shadow of a doubt there is a HELL.

JESUS said and taught so. Call him a liar? I think not. RevJW.

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

Jun85 -- Welcome to BB. :wavey:

A person may be saved without believing in hell so long as they are convicted of sin and the wrath of God, John 16:9-11 -- "And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world [and his ways] is judged."

17 "...as it is written, The just shall live by faith. 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; 19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. Rom 1:17-19 Much of this is written about the salvation of pre-Israel even where justification was by faith and wrath of God was revealed as its alternative.

But the body of Christian doctrine, of true Christianity, does not allow that one can deny what scripture clearly states about a place of eternal judgment.

Their spirits and souls go for a time to a place of separation from God, of thirst, of darkness, of flaming, "spiritual" torment, Luke 16:23-26. If you notice, this is pretty much how someone who rejects Christ lives now only his life will be reduced to soul and spirit where all these spiritual torments are NOT offset by physical pleasures.

Then, at least 1000 years from now, these souls and spirits will be called out of their graves, given bodies, and appear before Christ at the "great white throne," Rev 20:11-15. They will "bow the knee" and "confess with their tongues" (Rom 14:11) as they hear His "verdict" regarding their lack of faith ("book of life") and of their works ("book of works"). Every one of these will be be cast into a literal "lake of fire" to die a second death in their bodies and where their souls and spirits will receive the eternal weight of wrath that their lives "earned" them.

skypair

#13 skypair, May 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  14. rm1980

rm1980 New Member

Those who are unsaved, stay under the anger of God- john 3:36

Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

And as such will receive his punishment:

2 Thes 1:8-9

He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power