1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hello Baptist Board

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tim71, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My name is Tim Shelton. I live in a little town named Villa Ridge which is in Missouri. I just celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary 2 months ago. I have 2 children a daughter and son
    My walk in faith started when I was a young child. As a child I was always fascinated with life after death. I believe God was convicting me of eternity at a young age. My grandfather took me to church as a young child, and I made a profession of faith at the age of 14 when I was in a Bible camp. I was raised in the church of God of Prophecy. Which is a holiness Pentecostal church. I tried living a Holy life in my teenage years but I would always backslide and at the time i thought I lost my salvation. So I got discouraged and thought I will go to church when i do not have all this peer pressure from the world.
    When I graduated High School. I joined the U.S. Navy. I lived a worldly life while serving I knew the life I was living was not right but I was ignorant at that time...... thinking I would live right when I got out of the Navy. My theology was messed up I thought I had to live like a monk to be Holy.
    I just thought at the time if I make a commitment to the Lord I know I will mess it all up so I will commit my life later
    After serving almost 8 years in the Navy I returned back to Missouri. I was still living a worldly life until the year of 2005. When I discovered my father had terminal cancer. His sickness and death made me realize how short life is. I knew when he was dying of cancer I knew I needed to get right with the Lord so I started listening to christian radio station KSIV 91.5 I would listen to J Vernon McGee in the mornings on my way to work and Adrian Rogers. I didn't know how the Lord was working in my life at the time but I see it now. How He was getting all that false Pentecostal doctrine out of me.
    When my father passed in August 2006. I started looking for a church to attend. I found an assembly of God church and re-dedicated my life to the Lord. After about 1 year In the church The Lord was revealing truths to me that my pastor couldn't answer and at this time in my spiritual life I felt deceived by the Pentecostal Church. So I was upset with the deception and left. Not knowing where to go. I stayed out of church for about 5 years. During this period I was still listening to J Vernon McGee and Adrain Rogers I know it sounds stupid but I still didn't know what Church to attend. I knew what I believed in and I knew it was the truth. I just thought there is no one out there that believed the old time religion and singing the old gospel Hymns. During this time I started backsliding again
    The time now is November 2014 My son got involved with drugs and had a very violent seizure that still affects him today. It was during this time an independent fundamental Baptist Church placed a gospel tract on our door. My family was ready to go back to church after his seizure but we were unsure where to go. We saw that gospel gospel from Union Baptist Temple laying on our coffee table and decided we would give this Baptist Church a try. My son was actually baptized in this church around the time my father was sick. So we thought this was no coincidence that this gospel tract showed up at this particular time in our lives. We felt God was leading us there.
    I was very skeptical when we started attending the church. I believed in eternal security however I was worried I was going to hear something like 1 2 3 repeat after me and we will see you in the bapitistry I was telling my wife once that preacher starts that OSAS I'm out of there. Our first Sunday at Union Baptist Temple was Dec. 28th 2014. After a couple of months of attending and talking to the pastor about eternal security I felt this was the church God wanted us in. I re-dedicated my life to the Lord and was baptized on Easter Sunday.
    I am now serving as the treasurer of Union Baptist Temple. I give God all the glory from delivering me from the false religions i was in and not giving up on me. So many times I left Him but He never left me. I still have a whole lot to learn and I pray for wisdom most everday. I hope and pray to glean more knowledge from this forum. Thank you your Brother in Christ Tim Shelton

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your wonderful testimony.

Sent from my Moto Droid Turbo.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Tim,
    Great testimony!
    Also, we appreciate you for your service in the US Navy.
    Be sure to visit our military forum- you will find several other sailors as well as military personel as well.
    We have some great discussion about the good ole days!
    Once again - welcome to BB, looking forward to your contributions.

4. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you very much Salty and InTheLight I will check out the military forum. I appreciate the warm welcome

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Baptist Board, Tim. I looked at your church's web site and it looks great. I read your doctrinal statement, and with one minor exception I find it to be excellent.

I am sure we are going to have some great fellowship here on the Baptist Board.

Again, welcome. We are glad you are here. :)

6. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the minor exeception?

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That the KJV was the preserved bible for the English speaking world. (The the rather than a seems to exclude all others, which is, in my opinion, an error of understanding inspiration, preservation, and translation.)

I believe the KJV is a wonderful translation using a superior translation technique and based on superior Hebrew and Greek texts.

I still preach from it.

But there are other English translations, using the same translation technique and based on the same textform that are equally the preserved word of God in the English language.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tim S. : Arthur Walkington Pink is a hero of mine. I'm glad you like him.

9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Baptist Board, Tim.
    Thanks for that great testimony!

10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Tim71

Tim71 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Cassidy, Rippon, Martin and Rob. I appreciate the warm welcome

• Like Like x 1
  12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah yes, Arthur Pink.....one of my favorites! Then you my friend have come far on your Christian journey. You are welcome here.:Thumbsup

13. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello and welcome. Feel free to post. Do not be shy at all. God bless you!