1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help - AWANA Club info Needed

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    After 15+ years, our home church voted to stop having an Awana program (youth club for kids and teens).

While I was not a part of the business meeting, it was said that Awana is not starting programs in churches and places that are NOT EVANGELICAL. That a church no longer has to sign a doctrinal agreement to host a club.

I can't find that change anywhere on their web, but know some of you have Awana. Is this true? What is your thinking? I am shocked and do not believe it . . but open to see.

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I believe Diane works with this in her church.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Dr. Bob, I'm friends with our local AWANA missionary and I can check with him. AWANA has changed its' material for grades 3 and up to gear it more toward salvation issues. It's called Truth and Training and is very evangelistic. I would not be surprised to find you are correct.

I'll check with Brian Crowe and let you know what he says. I know BB.com has a member who is quite high up in AWANA. We wrote back and forth in the early spring but I've not kept his contact info. Was it WWII?

http://awana.org/ministryagreement.asp

Diane

5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Interesting. Our church looked into getting an AWANA club a while back, but couldn't because there was one thing in the doctrinal statement that our church didn't agree with: the AWANA doctrinal statement included the pretrib and premill doctrine, while our church was a more vague "God, in His own time and His own way, will bring all things to their appropriate end and establish a new heaven and new earth". It seems strange to me that AWANA would put this in their statement, cutting out Baptist churches that weren't exclusively pretrib/premill - our church is not exclusively pretrib/premill although some members are. If this statement no longer needs to be signed, maybe our church will again look at starting an AWANA group.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Here's the answer from my AWANA MISSIONARY

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am gathering info to talk with our pastor, so thanks all (and Diane especially). It is a change that the host/sponsor church does NOT have to be Gospel-preaching, fundamental, evangelical, etc.

I could sign that the material would be taught and that the clubbers would wear uniforms. So could a Lutheran or Catholic.

Man, I've got three teens working on Citation award (doing all 10 years of workbooks, etc). Our Free church where I was interim had the largest Awana club in the state. Two ifb and 1 SBC also have clubs here in Casper.

Do not like this trend.

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well, Dr. Bob, if a Catholic or Lutheran teaches the material in the T & T books, at least we know the kids will hear the salvation message from somewhere!

It used to be that any 'spirit filled' church was not allowed to participate in AWANA. My thoughts... the kids are most important! I many times dread Wednesday nights because I know the behaviors I'm going to have to deal with from the after school program kids but then I remember that I may be the only person who ever tells them about Jesus and his death on the cross for THEM!

Diane