1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help! Browser hijacked

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Gina B, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Scumware/Trojan, ew. Help.
    It's coolwwwsearch. Spybot removes it, but it comes back when I restart the computer. CoolShredder is supposed to remove it, but I can't find a site to download it from that works.
    I've read that removing it manually is near impossible and even pros have messed up their computers trying.
    Anyone got any suggestions on how to get rid of this?
    It isn't a virus, and the virus software won't pick it up.
    I'm on WindowsME with IE.
    Gina

2. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hiya Gina!

*Drop IE!! it's NOT good at all. I use Opera 7.23 Internet Browser with no problems at all. IT also comes with a built in Pop-Up Stopper that Works Great! Dump IE, I only use on my computer Windows XP Home Edition once in a great while. Opera lets me have 7 ot more web pages open at the same time in once screen. All I have to do is click which web page I want to see. They can be pancaked on top of each other too YaY! Anyhow, Opera 7.23 Software has free downloads for Windows ME YaY! The link is below for you.

[​IMG]

"Opera 7.23 Free Downloads"!

Love Sis, :D

"Kristi Ann's Haven"

3. KimS

KimS New Member

Hi Gina.

Download ad-aware and see if that will get rid of it. I had something that hijacked my browser and downloaded ad-aware which got rid of it.

Kim

4. superdave

superdave New Member

Ad aware should work, but honestly, if you are using IE, you are asking for this type of problem.

Opera is supposed to be good, Firefox by Mozilla is great, the best browser I have used. Most all the Mozilla browsers and mail tools are good. www.mozilla.org, they are all free, open source

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I got a shredder tool and that worked. Spybot would take care of it temporarily, but if I restarted the computer it would be back.
    Before I couldn't get the shredder downloaded and was panicking!
    Gina

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina, there was a setting in your registry that caused it to keep coming back.

The software that hijacked your browser made a change to the registry settings for IE; you'd change it while it was running, but as soon as you re-booted, the system looked at the registry, saw the settings from the hijacking program, and re-instituted the hijack. The hijackers are taking advantage of known security flaws in Internet Explorer.

I really suggest you take the advice above, and experiment with Opera, or even Mozilla Firefox. Even Netscape. These browsers come with pop-up killers, and currently are coded securely enough that hijackers don't affect them. (that could change in the future, but they're much safer than IE for right now)

7. David Mark

David Mark New Member

This is excellent advice.

Dave.