1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

help finding scriptures.....please

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BM, Feb 7, 2009.

1. BM

BM New Member

I tryed searching for an answer to this because I'm sure it has been brought up before but didn't have any luck, so here's my question...

Are there any scriptures in the NT that tells us whether it's scriptural to or not have musical instruments in the church services?

Thanks, Becky

2. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we do know is that there will be musical instruments in heaven (Rev.5:8, 14:2, 15:2) It stands to reason that, if God had musical instruments in heaven for the marriage of the Lamb, He would not be opposed to the Bride having them as well.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There's a thread on this in Other Christian Denominations:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=56172

We had a couple of Church of Christ people come on and argue for no musical instruments and baptism by water necessary for salvation. They seemed to have gone, at least for now.

There are no scriptures forbidding the use of musical instruments in worship.

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

There are no Scripture in the New Testament forbidding the use of musical instruments in church services, However, in the description of a worship service by the Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 14:26-33 there is no mention of musical instruments.

As for musical instruments in Heaven the only place such is mentioned is Revelation which contains much symbolic language.

The Apostle Paul does state to those on Mars hill the following:

Acts 17:22-25
    22. Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
    23. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
    24. God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
    25. Neither is worshipped with men’s hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;

Now musical instruments are the product of or are played by mens hands.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now that was the best response I've ever seen to this question... :applause: :thumbsup:

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

No mention doesn't mean they weren't there and it could also be from lack of a musician.

I'm not knocking your worship preference, I believe one should worship anyway they feel comfortable and as long as it's in spirit and in truth it will be well received on high... I for one love the old hymns of the Church and wish we'd sing more of them :thumbsup:

7. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

The regulativer principle is quite interessting in regard to this subject.

"Moreover, the rule which distinguishes between pure and vitiated worship is of universal application, in order that we may not adopt any device which seems fit to ourselves, but look to the injunctions of him who alone is entitled to prescribe. Therefore, if we would have him to approve our worship, this rule, which he everywhere enforces with the utmost strictness, must be carefully observed. For there is a twofold reason why the Lord, in condemning and prohibiting all fictitious worship, requires us to give obedience only to his own voice. First, it tends greatly to establish his authority that we do not follow our own pleasure, but depend entirely on his sovereignty; and, secondly, such is our folly, that when we are left at liberty, all we are able to do is to go astray. And then when once we have turned aside from the right path, there is no end to our wanderings, until we get buried under a multitude of superstitions. Justly, therefore, does the Lord, in order to assert his full right of dominion, strictly enjoin what he wishes us to do, and at once reject all human devices which are at variance with his command. Justly, too, does he, in express terms, define our limits, that we may not, by fabricating perverse modes of worship, provoke his anger against us." John Calvin, The Necessity of Reforming the Church

http://www.theopedia.com/Regulative_Principle_of_Worship

8. Psalm 95

Psalm 95 New Member

9. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Outta' curiosity, what does the opinion of John Calvin or EdSutton have to do with the question??

Ed

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It does seem that the OP was seeking Biblical evidence not that of mine or others. OldRegular and Pastor_Bob seems to have filled that requirement. :thumbsup:

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

But RevMitchell ddid say that Palatka and I are not permitted biblically to play an instrument in church!:tongue3:

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very appropriate choice of proposition:thumbsup:

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Got it! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member