1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help me identify these Bibles

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I have two newly acquired old (Not really very old, compared to most of my stuff) Bibles that I am wondering if anybody can provide me with the actual revision that I have.

Both a large hardbacks containing the apocrypha

The first was printed and published by M. Carey
    no. 121 Chestnut Street (no town) 1817
    This was owned by a Mary Brown bought on April 15th 1818 for $12,50cts (I think $12.50) Pretty expensive in 1818) It has a beautiful chart of the birth and deaths of the Patriarchs Like both has all the blah blah printed for his majest by special command, etc.

It also contains John Brown's concordance with seventy maps and historical engravings.

Big nice KJV

The other is the same except much newer with a little better looking cover.printed 1850 Buffalo: Published by Phinney & Co.

It has Canne's Marginal Notes and References

Anybody know anything about the actual versions (are the Oxford, etc.)?

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Okay, so I will ask this. Does anybody know about John Brown's concordance or Canne's Marginal Notes and References. Where they came from, background, theology, etc?

3. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phillip,

You peaked my curiosity, so I did a little research on the net and found the following:

This was taken from the following site: http://www.ccel.org/s/schaff/encyc02/cache/encyc02.txt
    I haven't been able to find anything about John Brown's concordance, but if I do, I'll post it here.

4. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phillip,

M. Carey would be referring to Matthew Carey. The 121 Chestnut Street address is in Philadelphia.

Reference to it can be found at: http://www.geocities.com/tib1846/bible3.html

More information about Matthew Carey (taken from http://www.indianahistory.org/library/manuscripts/collection_guides/sc2296.html)

Further info (taken from: http://www.greatsite.com/timeline-english-bible-history/colonial-bibles.html)

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you very, very much Mesly. I collect old Bibles and these are two of my new acquisitions. 1800 Bibles are not very rare. In fact i have quite a few "teachers" Bibles from around the civil war era. (Small, hard to read Bibles, that were printed primarily for students with cost in mind.)

My favorite is a German Martin Luther printed in 1739 by Berlegts Johann Georg Gotta(sp?) It is a very large Bible in good shape (considering the age). Sadly missing the metal straps that locked it.A pencil drawing of a clipper ship is found on the front inside cover (no telling what or who did it).

It contains many beautiful woodcut pictures and is printed with both red and black ink.

I also have some individual pages (sadly people thought they could make more money by tearing up old Bibles and selling the pages individually.

I have a page of the Ephefians. from "The Holie Bible, conteyning the olde Testament and the newe, printed by Richard Jugge at London, England in 1572, Large folio size--The second Edition of the Great Bible (Bishop's).

A page from the English Bible printed in London by Robert Barker in 1608.

A page of "The Bible translated according to the Ebrew and Greeke and conferred with the best translations...Imprinted at London by Christopher Barker, printer to the Queens most excellent Maieste in 1579" This is the earliest in a long series of quarto Geneva Bibles printed in England. 2 editions were printed, this is edition one.

Multiple King James pages one from 1628 Imprinted by Bonham Norton and John Bill, printers to the Kings most Excellent maiestie.

KJ 1642 Robert Barker and John Bill in London

A fifteen hundred hymn in Latin complete with red music and a four line staff.

A bunch of 1614 king james pages

A 1647 Greek-Latin: Beza page printed in Amsterdam.

Not trying to brag because I collected these over years of finding bargains. This is just part of my collection of old Bibles, I just LOVE collecting them and trying to preserve them. I have only shown them all publically once and that is to my church. Otherwise, they are stored in a safe-fire-proof climate controlled location.

It just fascinates me to actually see and touch something printed that long ago. (Of course 1500 is not so far back in reality.)

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Brown, professor and writer, published his concordance in 1783.

JOHN BROWN

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you rsr. [​IMG]

8. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

rsr, what did we do without the internet when I was in school? Amazing the information available to the public today...isn't it?

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I lived in Maine we bought an old farmhouse with 80 acres, huge barn and a carriage house.

In the carriage house I found a Bible dated 1799 with the entire Book of Revelation crudly cut out apparently with a pen knife.

HankD

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phillips said:

"rsr, what did we do without the internet when I was in school? Amazing the information available to the public today...isn't it?"

Yes, it is hard to imagine. Though there seems to be as much bad information as good out there. Evaluating sources is probably even more important now.

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I can agree with that 100%, just look at some of the references we have been asked to consider as "fact" in the last few weeks. :rolleyes:

12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew Carey is said to have produced more editions of the English Bible in America than any other publisher before the beginning of the American Bible Society. Carey first published
    an edition of the Douay-Rheims Bible. After that
    he published several editions of the KJV. His first KJV edition was said to be printed in Philadelphia in 1801.

I have examined an edition of the KJV printed in 1813 in Philadelphia. I found that some of the KJV's printed in America in the early 1800's
    have some renderings from earlier KJV editions than 1769, and they have a few spelling updates.

Here are a few sample differences between
    this 1813 KJV edition and the Oxford KJV edition
    in the Scofield Reference Bible:

Gen. 8:1 "assuaged" for "asswaged"
    Gen. 8:11 "plucked" for "pluckt"
    Gen. 11:3 "mortar" for "morter"
    Gen. 21:9 "had borne" for "had born"
    Gen. 26:10 "lain" for "lien"
    Gen. 39:6 "aught" for "ought"
    Exod. 31:10 "clothes" for "cloths"