1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help, please....

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by pinoybaptist, Aug 16, 2014.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have COMCAST (that in itself is a tragedy, but not too many choices here in California).
    The agreement is for x amount of dollars per month, they will provide me with 50mbps (max) internet speed.
    well, speed tests in THEIR website at various intervals of the day, for the last week or so, shows they are not living up to their end of the bargain, because these tests show results from 1.8mbps to 10mbps.
    now, what confuses me, and which I would like to hear from the geeky guys on this forum, is, why are they showing me two ip versions ?
    the ipv4 is the one showing the low speeds, while the ipv6 shows speeds of 90+mbps, and in both cases I am talking downloads.
    which one is relevant to my internet connection ?
    do I have, or am I running TWO ip versions ?
    which one should I pinpoint and say: YOU ARE NOT GIVING ME THE DESIRED SPEED SO I WANT A REBATE !!!!! ?
    Isn't this being, uh, duplicitous, for want of a better word ?
    thanks for any input, just don't turn this into a Calvinism vs Arminian debate, like somebody saying: it was predestined. :laugh:

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ipv4 is the old internet protocol; ipv6 is the newer, faster protocol. Both are available over your Comcast internet connection. If you have a newer computer I presume the connection will automatically default to ipv6, so you should be connecting with the higher speeds.

How new is your computer? What operating system does it run? Windows 7?

BTW, Comcast doesn't promise you will always get 50MB/sec speeds but that you will get "up to 50MB/sec" speeds.

Go to www.speedtest.net and see what speeds you get.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to question your knowledge but there is a difference between MBps and mbps, one is bytes and one is bits and often confuse folks.

As well as the "UP TO" mentioned they also in the fine print probably have an out of 20% lea way.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct on both counts.

5. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have an idea of the difference between bytes and bits.
    However, whether one uses them ambigously or not it still translates to speed or the lack of it.

The fact is that Comcast did not live up to its obligation, or could not live up to its obligation, and given the shadiness of how this company deals with the public I think and do not feel guilty about thinking of them this way, that they are robbing people.

Now, will you be able to explain why they are presenting two speeds for different ip versions, one clocking a much lower MBps or mbps or whatever it is that is appropriate ?

is my computer using two ip versions ? or do these ip versions have to do with their side ?

I am asking this because I don't want to go all "oh, oh", "oh, I see...hehe..that's good to know", "well, now I learned something new today" when their technician comes around and tries to pull the shade over my eyes with jargon and technicalese.

6. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. If my computer is automatically defaulting to ipv6 seeing as it is relatively new, then why is my streaming choppy and the video stops and buffers like it does with DSL ?

Windows 7, but I don't know what service pack. I got this from a friend.

I know that, but even if I give them a 20% leeway, like exscentric said, that still comes down to 10MBps or 10 mbps less, which means I should be getting at the very least 35 instead of the lousy 1.8 mb to 10 mb I get when I run speed tests.

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you reset your router/Orem if you have them? If so I'd guess they are not delivering though wiring in the house can give troubles. Old wires, coiled wires, wires near electronic devices. Have you changed anything in the house around the time the trouble began?

A call to them or chat online might give you a hint.