1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help with fever please!

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Gina B, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I normally don't take anything unless I get super uncomfortable, and I'm super uncomfortable. I'm maxed out on Tylenol and it isn't bringing the fever lower than a bit over 101, and I'm very sensitive to fevers since my normal temp is between 96.5 and 97.5 and has been all my life. I can't take Motrin so that's not an option.

The accompanying headache, which I thought was turning into a migraine, which ice helps,is not and is helped by...hot water on my spine and shoulders which is really dumb because then it drives up the fever and makes my heart flop about.

Got any ideas? I am too icky to look stuff up and too foggy to think too hard. I do have a lot of spices or can have Carl bring some home from work if anyone knows anything in that department, but it has to be easily accessible in a regular grocery store.

2. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I googled this but don't have any personal experience with it. Let me know if it works!!

Egg Whites:

By far the best method to lower a high temperature within MINUTES! When I was about 4 or 5 years old, I had acquired a fever so high that I started to hallucinate. My mother was in a panic, she feared brain damage if something didn't lower the fever and FAST. My grandma told her about an old-wives' remedy.

Soak 2 cloths or hankerchiefs in egg whites and put on the soles of the feet (cover with socks). The egg whites instantaneously start to draw the temperature DOWN from the brain (where it is dangerous) to the feet (where it can do no damage). After that incident my mom used this method successfully every time I had high temp. If no eggs are on hand, chopped onion or chopped potato can be applied to feet instead, although egg whites are the fastest method.

The egg whites are also a miracle cure for minor and more severe burns. Soak or coat affected area in egg white. While the egg white is still wet you will feel no pain from the burn. As soon as it dries up the pain comes back so reapplication is necessary. This also prevents scarring from the burn."

Reapply when it dries up, as it needs to be wet.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fever.html

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thank you! I have eggs. I have feet. I'll put them put together.

The kids are gonna love this one...LOL Thanks! I'm off and if that doesn't work, I'll just stick my feet on my trusty ice pack. Or I'll put the egg whites on the ice pack and do both. Hrm.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ice under your arms too Gina! It'll help cool your core.

5. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I hope it works for you, Gina!!

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ok, somewhat better. 100.4 with the ice and the egg whites. It's kinda hard to type like this though! I'd post a smiley but they're making me dizzy...

7. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

An old nursing trick was to put wet face towels/washers in all your creases....eg armpits, groin etc. If you have someone who can help you make a sheet tunnel....you need a wet sheet, fan and make a sort of cradle over you in bed, and aim the fan at the wet sheet.

8. menageriekeeper

How are you feeling this morning, Gina?

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

A lot the same, MK with the happy exception that the headache is not nearly as bad since trying to drink as much water as I realized not eating or drinking much wasn't doing me any favors. Thanks for thinking of me!

Carl went to the doctor and they said it looked like bronchitis. I got it a few days after him and exact same symptoms, so 99% sure it's the same thing. We both got it at the same time two years ago too.

They put him on antibiotics. I chose to stay home and try herbal stuff instead.

Kleenex now has something called "Cool Touch" and it is WONDERFUL! The first time one touched my poor raw nose, my whole face went "ahhhhhhh, thank you!" :)

10. menageriekeeper

Cool Touch huh? I wish I'd know about that a couple of weeks ago. This house is just getting over the round of gunk! Poor red noses!

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you have tissues infused with aloe vera or eucalyptus oil.....very tender for sore snozzies....Gina get well soon and your dear one...bronchitis ain't any sort of fun :sleeping_2::1_grouphug:

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

With aloe, yes, but not eucalyptus/tea tree oil. Still don't know the difference, just know that it makes me cross-eyed to pay a ton of money for shampoo with the stuff in it while my cousin in Australia has photos of her swimming in water loaded with it out there. I love that tingle, hubby says it's annoying, so at least I get to keep what I do get all to myself. :laugh: