1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Here are 10 of Trump's 180-degree course reversals from his campaign

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't it amazing how Republicans and conservatives have flip-flopped on flip-flops?

1. Export-Import Bank
    President Donald Trump railed against the Export-Import Bank -- the export credit agency wholly owned by the federal government -- which supports exporters by helping foreign entities with loans so that they can purchase American-made products. During his campaign, he called it "feather bedding for politicians and others."

But, earlier this month, he said he had changed his mind and now believes the system is good, produces jobs and pays for itself.

"Instinctively, you would say, 'Isn't that a ridiculous thing,'" Trump told The Wall Street Journal. "But actually, it's a very good thing. And it actually makes money, it could make a lot of money."

2. Staying out of the Middle East
    Throughout his campaign, Mr. Trump emphasized avoiding conflicts in the Middle East and focusing on domestic issues, trumpeting an "America first" policy stance.

But by April, that stance apparently shifted, with Mr. Trump authorizing a strike on a Syrian airbase in response to a deadly chemical weapons attack, and allowing the U.S. military to drop the "mother of all bombs" on a network of ISIS tunnels in Afghanistan.

3. Striking Syria without congressional approval
    In 2013, before entering the 2016 presidential race, Mr. Trump decried the possibility that former President Barack Obama would use military force in Syria without congressional authorization.

Follow
    [​IMG]Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

What will we get for bombing Syria besides more debt and a possible long term conflict? Obama needs Congressional approval.

A few weeks back, Mr. Trump authorized an air strike on the Syrian airbase where he said the chemical weapon attack originated. He indicated that watching the deaths of children shifted his perspective.

4. Treating NATO as "obsolete"
    During his 2016 presidential bid, Mr. Trump called NATO "obsolete."

But earlier this month, he praised the organization and said he believes the U.S. can accomplish much through its partnership.

"I said it was obsolete; it's no longer obsolete," the president said.

Later, in an interview with the Associated Press, the president admitted he didn't know much about NATO when he called NATO "obsolete," and said he knows much more now.

5. Border wall
    During his campaign, Mr. Trump insisted Mexico would pay for a wall bordering it and the U.S. to keep out immigrants here illegally.

But in recent weeks, the president has pushed Congress to pay for the wall with American tax dollars.

6. Hillary Clinton
    During his campaign against former Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton, Mr. Trump strongly attacked her credibility and trustworthiness, saying in October 2016 that if he won, he would instruct his attorney general to "get a special prosecutor to look into your situation" involving the private email server.

But immediately after the election, he reversed course on prosecuting Clinton, saying, "I don't want to hurt the Clintons, I really don't. ... It's just not something that I feel very strongly about."

7. Golfing
    During his presidential campaign, Mr. Trump decried then-President Barack Obama's time on the golf course, saying he wouldn't have time for such leisurely activities in office.

"I'm going to be working for you, I'm not going to have time to go play golf," he said at a Virginia rally last year.

But Mr. Trump has golfed more than any recent president in his first 100 days — 19 days. Obama, by contrast, didn't golf a single day in his first 100 days on the job.

8. Labeling China a currency manipulator
    Mr. Trump promised to label China a currency manipulator on day one of his presidency, going as far to say China was "ripping us off" as a nation in May 2016.

Not only did he fail to do that on his first day in office, but the president did a complete 180-degree turn on the issue earlier this month, saying he would no longer label the People's Republic of China as such.

"They're not currency manipulators," Trump said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal after meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping, adding that he thinks the American dollar is too strong.

9. Janet Yellen and interest rates
    During his campaign, Mr. Trump called Federal Reserve Chairman Janet Yellen a very "political" person, claiming she was keeping interest rates low to help former President Barack Obama. From his remarks, she didn't appear to have a good shot at staying in Mr. Trump's administration when her term is up in February 2018.

But, after meeting with Yellen earlier this month, he appeared to change his mind. He told the Wall Street Journal in an extensive interview: "You know, I like her, I respect her. She's been here [in the Oval Office.] She's been in that seat. I do like the low interest rate policy."

In other words, it looks like Yellen – and her low interest rates — could be here to stay.

10. Handing over his tax returns
    In May 2014, President Donald Trump said that -- if he ran -- he would "absolutely" produce his tax returns.

"If I decide to run for office, I'll produce my tax returns, absolutely," he said. "And I would love to do that."

Time and again during the campaign, and now during his presidency, Mr. Trump has either dodged or refused to hand them over. On Wednesday, Secretary of the Treasury Steve Mnuchin said the president "has no intention" of releasing his returns.

Here are 10 of Trump's 180-degree course reversals from his campaign

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grifters...they will lie to your face in order to get what they want. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No lies, he's evolved.

He got Neil Gorsuch on the SCOTUS bench - nuff said.

Buy a puppy.

HankD

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. The beggest threat to the republic was another left wing idealogue on the Supreme Court.

That one is squelched. Well done, President Trump!

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So he's done that and that's enough.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as I'm concerned, Yes.

A revocation of Roe vs Wade - OK.

Personally I wouldn't mind an ObamaCare renovation even if it ends up as ObamaCare 2.0.

HankD

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will American wonders never cease? A presidential candidate is not totally honest about what he will do, and he criticizes a sitting president for certain things, then does the same things himself. It's hard to believe we've stooped so far as to have a man in office who does that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get used to it. Trump is not an idealogue. In a lot of cases, I believe he will do what works, or work with what he has, whether we like it or not. He is learning, considering the political makeup of Washington and Congress in particular that, unlike the idealogueObama, he will have to make compromises.

I don't expect to like a lot of it.

But I'm watching the big ones. 1. SCOTUS-done. 2. Immigration-strong effort but a work in progress and it won't be easy. 3. Defense-working on it 4. Economy-improving with a lot more to do...including tax cuts
    5. 2ND Amendment-looking good. 6. Curbing the power of the EPA- getting there. More to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No matter what he does, the haters will hate.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they will.

I expect to be doing some complaining myself in the near future, but I'm going to wait till he gives me something to complain about. My complaints won't be based on his personality or his past, but on his performance. And I don't expect it all to get done at once. Getting anything good done in DC will take time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would think that the flip-flops of the former Democrat would be good news for the Democrats who have an abundance of good candidates for 2020--people such as Clinton, Biden, Warren, Sanders, Waters, and many others.

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thread is about Trump's flip-flops. Maybe you are unaware, but Trump is the current president. Seems his ardent supporters might be just a bit concerned about his continuing flip-flops from his campaign promises.

13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    7. Curbing Spending--The continuing resolution spending bill contains practically no cuts that Trump wanted.

Education? A 1.7% cut ($1.2B)
    NEA? Increased funding.
    EPA? Same funding as last year.
    NIH? No cuts.
    Planned Parenthood? No cuts.
    PBS? No cuts.
    Puerto Rico bailout? $295 million for Medicaid shortfalls.

8. Build the Wall--After threatening a government shutdown if funding for the wall was not included Trump walked that back and decided to put off a fight until September. He did get $1.5B for 100 new ICE officers and more detention center beds.

14. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whoa, I never was for Trump during the GOP primary, and I am merely pointing out that Trump's flip-flops are good news for Democrats who have an abundance of good candidates such as Waters, Biden, Clinton, Sanders, Warren, etc. for 2020.

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Republicans are deathly afraid of a government shutdown. They know they will be blamed by the media, even if democrats take out ads in the paper saying they are going to shut down the government.

2018 fiscal year budget would be the time to take a stand, but I doubt that republicans will do so. They are cowards, one and all. Led by even more craven cowards like Ryan, who capitulated right down the line to everything Obama wanted.