1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

High response saves 2010 census $1.6B in costs

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by FR7 Baptist, Aug 10, 2010.

1. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

Read More

2. targus

targus New Member

13.1 billion sounds like a lot of money to me.

The 2000 census cost 6.8 billion.

With inflation 6.8 billion in 2000 is something like 8.4 billion in today's dollars.

That is a cost increase in inflation adjusted dollars of about 56%.

Was there a 56% increase in the population since 2000?

No. Then this years census cost a lot more than the last census.

That they came in under a much larger budget doesn't really mean anything.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder how much they spent in sending letters out saying the cenus form was on its way

4. FR7 Baptist

My Life as a Fed, Part III

It is a lot and I don't want to downplay that. Part of the reason it cost as much as it did was because of the Hand Held Computer debacle. Basically the Bureau was going to purchase GPS-equipped HHCs for every enumerator. That would have saved money because it would allow Census data to be transmitted electronically, thus reducing backend staff needs. They ordered the HHCs, just enough for Address Canvassing, and used them for that and it turned out they were so problematic that the Bureau scrapped them, didn't order anymore, and went back to pencil and paper.

As for me, I finished Field Verification today. They added an operation, NRFU Residual Follow-up, for the small number of housing units for which we don't have valid data for whatever reason. This is scheduled to run August 12-25 and that will be the final field operation. I'm on call for that in case there's an opening, but today may have been my final day with the Bureau. I still have my badge and bag and I haven't been officially terminated, but I don't know and the office doesn't know if I'll be needed. I guess I'll find out soon.

So, what's next for me? I'll work NRFU RES if I'm called. I start back college on the 30th; I'm looking forward to that. I'm going to begin looking for a part-time job to do while I'm in college. I'm sure having a letter of recommendation and another reference from this job will help because lacking that hurt in my last job search.

So, while I enjoyed working for the Bureau, met and got to work with a lot of great people, gained work experience, performed my job very well and made lots of money, all good things must come to an end. I'm really grateful that I got the opportunity to serve the public in this position.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your service to our country. :thumbs:

6. FR7 Baptist

LOL, you make it sound like I was in the military or something. I'd rather save that particular phrase for those in the armed forces. This was a nice summer gig that just happened to be in the public sector. However, I was mindful of the fact that I was getting paid by taxpayer money and I strove to gather accurate data in the most efficient manner possible.

#6 FR7 Baptist, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Serving the public is serving the public. One doesn't have to be in the armed forces to be in public service.