1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hillary wins NY

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jkdbuck76, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

So let's try this again. And I can get the training wheels for you if need be. Scripture says:

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. 1 John 4:20

So does God intend for you to hate or love your brother or sister? You want to imply that He's saying to actually hate them? But Scripture points to you not hating them.

So either Jesus isn't talking about actual hate which the integrity of the whole of Scripture confirms, or you don't know what you're talking about.

I'm going with the latter.Thumbsup

Our love for Him has to be so great that we do not even place our love for our families before our love for Him.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As usual around here, party affiliation first, scripture second.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he's not talking about actual hate, how do you know he's talking about actual love? "Pick & choose," preponderance, commentaries...what do you use?

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I use Scripture. It's one Book and the entire Book must maintain its integrity to be rightly divided and useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking and training in righteousness.

I'm a firm believer that you first deal with what the words on the page say. And then you look at how the word is used in other Scripture. And then you make sure the interpretation which should be coming from the Holy Spirit does not conflict or create confusion about something else in Scripture.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So there's scripture and then there's "other" scripture?
    Alright, I'll play. Scripture: if any man hates his brother, the Spirit is not in him. Other scripture: (Luke 14:26). Now switch them. the only way to come up with something different is to preconceiv the verb in the sentence structures in one of them is nullified. To Catholics and c of c' s, the "other scripture" would have to be John 3:16 or Romans 10:9, only seen through their preconceptions; that is, nullified.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You're trying to go too deep when this requires a very basic understanding. God who tells us that His two greatest commandments are to love Him and to then love your neighbor as yourself would not breed confusion by coming back to tell you to hate your neighbor. So He's obviously saying something else.