1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historic Anabaptist writings to be available online

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Crabtownboy, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.abpnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3667&Itemid=53

Good news for anyone interested in Baptist or Anabaptist history and studies

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the information. Hopefully in about 6 months we will be able to put up a link.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regretfully, these writings will be if little use until they are translated into English. The article doesn't say wheither they are in German, Latin (then the academic lingua franca) or both.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I'll be anxious to see these writings, but only (as Squire R hinted) if they're in English.

FWIW, I still recall some 38 or so years ago some composer (possibly of Mennonite background) arranged some of the portions of Martyr's Mirror into musical settings in English to comprise an oratorio of that same name. (Shades of G. F. Handel!)

Unfortunately, this oratorio Martyr's Mirror was probably only performed maybe only a time or two. I'm only guessing but I can assume was never publicly published nor made available either on LP or tape or (naturally) on CD.

This is such a shame that it was apparently never made available. Or if it was, it must have only been on a private label with only a very few runs made of it.

If any of you do have any info on this oratorio, I'd certainly love to find out what yuou have on it.

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think most of Hübmaier's writings are in German, judging by the titles. There may be some in Latin. If so, it won't benefit me personally. But it is still a great service to make these widely available to those who read this/these language(s). Perhaps one day English translations will be made available as well. I don't think there will be any initially, since the article speaks of digital images of photographic reproductions of his works.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Some of the most formative Baptist documents are in Danish.

Of course I'm more prone to English Separtist view of Baptist origins. This will be helpful for scholars. Thanks :)