1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HOLIDAY RECIPES

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by Songbird, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I do, too!

2. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Just finished making the Molasses Sugar Cookies and they are wonderful! [​IMG] Amazing what a little flour will do!! :D

Getting ready to start the Peanut Butter Balls and the chocolate-covered Ritz crackers (with peanut butter)!

3. computerjunkie

So how much is a "#2 box" of powdered sugar? I have a 1 lb. box...is that it? :confused:

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

No! A 1# box is not the same as a 2# box. [​IMG]

You need to go buy another 1# box and then you will have 2#. :D

I usually buy mine in a bag. It is exactly 2#. I don't guess on my baking (not even my flour). [​IMG]

*TIP*
    If you are keeping your Molasses Sugar Cookies until Christmas (as I am), you may have to put a slice of bread in the container with them to keep them from getting too hard.

5. computerjunkie

You put TWO POUNDS of powdered sugar in them??? Wow...talk about a sugar high!

I have a bag of p.s. also...so I'll use some of that. (In fact, I may have a 2 lb. bag...I'll check.) Thanks! (# = pound...well, duh.)

*TIP ANSWER*
    I'm keeping the Molasses Sugar Cookies until tomorrow! Plus saving some to take to work on Monday.

6. computerjunkie

Good morning everyone...and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

First of all, let me say that I CAN cook. [​IMG] All the recipes I've tried in the last couple of days have turned out perfect...EXCEPT the Peanut Butter Balls! The filling is wonderful; however I really messed up the dipping chocolate.

I guess I don't know how to melt paraffin :( even though it would seem to be pretty simple. Put it in the microwave and total microwave time was about 6 minutes...the darn stuff never DID melt! Didn't even get soft! Tried to melt it with a fire-starter, then a candle, but by then it looked pretty awful. So decided to dispense with the paraffin, and tried melting the chocolate chips. I guess I "over-melted" them as it wasn't out of the microwave 2 minutes before it got gummy...no way to "dip" anything in it.

So, I scraped it out of the bowl into the trash, and finally used the extra chocolate bark I had (from the crackers/peanut butter concoction). Finally got to "dip" the peanut butter balls, but they didn't "dip" too well...kept falling off the toothpick! So I finally just put several at a time in the chocolate, rolled them around with a spoon and took them out with the spoon! :D

I must say they are really good...but I'm POSITIVE Sue's look MUCH better!

So, with cookies and candies in hand, I'm off to my brother's for a couple of days. I know they'll enjoy the stuff I made...after all, looks aren't everything!!! [​IMG]

Hope everyone has a wonderful day with family and friends!

CJ

7. I Am Blessed 24

Awww, I'm sorry your Peanut Butter Balls didn't go well, CJ.

It takes a long time for the parafin to melt, even in the microwave. I melt mine on 'high' and stir it sometimes. I made the mistake of leaving a wooden spoon in there to make stirring easier and the spoon burnt up!!!

If you don't want to use parafin, you can put a TBLS or so of oil in the chocolate chips. It keeps them from getting gummy so quickly. They won't be shiny, but it will still work.

As far as the balls falling apart - we pack ours really hard before we insert the toothpick. We have an occasional one fall off, so we do what you did - dip it out with a spoon.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll taste delicious!

8. computerjunkie

That's OK, Sue...they were/are delicious...just not shiny! I still have some filling left so I may try the paraffin again...now that I know it takes a LONG time. And I'll try rolling them tighter, although I did think I had done that. Can always use "TIPS" from the pro!! [​IMG]

9. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Christmas Grape Salad

2 lbs. green seedless grapes
    2 labs. red seedless grapes

Remove from stems and wash and dry completely, or the dressing won't stick.

Dressing:
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    8 oz. sour cream
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 cup pecans, chopped and toasted

Mix in order given and toss with the grapes. Very pretty and festive! Save a few grapes for decorating the top, if you wish. My mom made this for Thanksgiving, and it was great! Everyone wanted the recipe, so thot I'd pass it along.

10. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Hmmm. I started this thread and haven't contributed too much. I'll work on that. I'll try to remember to post the chilled vegetable salad. It's very festive-looking and a great side dish. It can be made days in advance--actually it's better if it gets to sit some.

Thanks for all you've shared so far!

All I can say is YUM!

11. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Peanut & Pretzel Bark
    (Makes about 2 pounds)
    1 (24 oz) package Chocolate or Vanilla flavored candy coating
    1 Cup broken thin pretzels
    1 Cup coarsely chopped peanuts

In Heavy saucepan, over low heat, melt candy coating, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Spread into thin layer on 2 aluminum foil-lined baking sheets. Chill 30 minutes or until firm. Break into chunks. Store covered at room temperature or in refrigerator.

12. I Am Blessed 24

I made a batch of CJ's "Cheesecake Cookies" yesterday (for this week-end). I sampled one and started singing, "Heaven, I'm in Heaven". [​IMG]

They are very easy to make and scrumptious! I am making another batch today.

13. computerjunkie

Stupid Question of the Day!! [​IMG]

When a recipe calls for "heavy cream", is that whipping cream? Or would half & half be considered "heavy cream"?

Thank you in advance for your answers! [​IMG]

14. I Am Blessed 24

I have substituted Half & Half, but there is actually "Heavy Cream" that comes in a carton much like Half & Half.

It didn't seem to make any difference in the recipe.

15. computerjunkie

Thanks, Sue...I looked for just plain "heavy cream" and didn't see any. All the stuff that said "heavy cream" was whipping cream. Since I wasn't sure, I went ahead and got Half & Half. Thanks for the reassurance that it probably won't make a difference! [​IMG]

16. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I made this Sat. for our New Years Eve Eve Party we're having on the 30th. I hope they freeze well!

Graham Cracker bark

24 Graham crackers (halves or 12 full size)
    2 sticks of butter
    1 c of brown sugar
    1 c of pecans (I used walnuts--cheaper!) chopped

Spray a cookie sheet and lay the graham cracker flat. Even spread nuts. Melt butter, add brown sugar and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Pour over graham crackers. Bake 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and immediately put in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove and break into pieces (I broke them in 1/2).

I removed stuff from my freezer so the pan would stay flat. I put a towel underneath the cookie sheet when I put it in the freezer. They're pretty good!

Oh, I added dried cranberries to my white chocolate bark--along w/shredded coconut, and walnuts.

Enjoy!

17. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

I am anxiously awaiting to make the sweet potato casserole, chessecake cookies, and crustless pumpkin pie!!! (Songbird, I sent you a PM question about the pie)

I thought I would share this recipe for "Candy Bar Fudge" since my family loves it so much, it is soooooo easy to make (everything's done in the microwave), and it's great for gift giving. It's pretty well foolproof. This is originally a Taste of Home recipe.

1/2 cup butter (unsalted) or margarine
    1/3 cup baking cocoa
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup milk
    3 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    *30 caramels -- unwrapped
    1 Tablespoon water
    2 cups salted peanuts
    1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter, cocoa, brown sugar and milk. Microwave on high until mixture boils, about 3 minutes. Stir
    in confectioner's sugar and vanilla. Pour into a greased 8" square baking pan. In another microwave-safe bowl, heat caramels and water
    on high for 2 minutes or until melted. Stir in peanuts; spread over chocolate layer. Microwave chocolate chips on high for 1 minute or until melted; spread over caramel layer. Chill until firm. Yields 2-3/4 Pounds.

*Note: A 14 oz bag of Kraft Traditional caramels contains 50 wrapped candies. So two bags would be enough for three batches with ten left for the caramel lovers in your family to snitch!!

18. I Am Blessed 24

Pamela, I may try your "Candy Bar Fudge", but if it doesn't work for me - that's it for me and fudge! I've already ruined two batches from two different recipes. :rolleyes:

19. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Sue, it should work for you with no problem.
    I also recommend the ORIGINAL Kraft Fantasy Fudge, not the recipe that they have out now. I've made it for years and years...and years!!! [​IMG]
    Let me get it and post it....

20. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Ladies, please note:
    This is the ORIGINAL recipe from the Kraft marshmallow creme jar, not the one that's been out for the last few years. The new recipe does not taste nearly as good, and they have not changed it back (as far as I know, I didn't notice this year) even though they have been asked to. It works great without nuts too.
    Just a couple hints: Use a potholder to stir the fudge because your arm WILL get hot and you need to keep it going for the full 5 minutes. Use a hot spoon to scrape out the marshmallow cream. Have jar already open, bag of chips open, vanilla and measuring spoon ready, etc, so you can get it in the pan asap before it starts to set.

Kraft Fantasy Fudge

3 cups sugar

3/4 cup margarine

1 can (5 oz.) evaporated milk

1 pkg. (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate pieces

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow creme

1 cup chopped nuts

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine sugar, margarine and milk in heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 234° F., stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat.

Stir in chocolate pieces until melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 13-by-9-inch pan.

Cool at room temperature. Cut into squares.

Makes 3 pounds.