1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Holman and SBC

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Oct 22, 2004.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My personal opinion is that outside of most SBC circles the HCSB is seen as a Southern Baptist Bible. Therefore it will mostly be used among SBC folks.

2. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I am sure the SBC is a quite large market, but I think it is sad from the perspective that the HCSB does appear to be an excellent translation.

What I like about it, is that it is one of the "easier to read" translations; much like the NIV, but I have just never been thrilled with an NIV (strictly personal preference).

The printing style is also unique.

3. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

I think if it is truly not about the money, then LifeWay and the SBC should allow other denominations to use it in their SS material with out royalties, or with royalties that are much less than the NIV or NKJV.
    Think about it if the Methodist and Presby's could use it for free too. Then it would gain wide aceptance outside of the SBC.
    [​IMG]

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

The bottom line, everything is about money when it comes to running a business and Lifeway is no exception. Royalties are typically based on R&D and fixed costs that are amortized out over a period of time.

The NIV has one of the highest royalty rates (compare it on online Bible or another program to the NASB or even the NKJV). My guess is that not only has it become the best selling Bible, which pushes its ranking so high that demand can support the cost.

The NIV paid a lot of money for its translation in the form of high-paid consultants and translation staffs, but then again, this has probably all been paid since the NIV is now outselling the KJV.

Let me explain something about intellectual property (of which I have worked many cases on). It the company does NOT protect its intellectual property with agressiveness, it could become public domain. A REASONABLE royalty must be paid and what I mean by reasonable is "enough to make it realistic", not 25 cents per book.

A no royalty payment would be hard to defend in court if someone decided to push for a switch to public domain, regardless of what the copyright says.

The reason for a copyright in the first place is to prevent someone else from copying the book, making unauthorized changes and publishing it. It is not always just related to money, it is related to "control of the intellectual property".

These things are never as simple as they seem.

Let me give an example. A lawyer by the name of McDonald was sued by McDonald's hamburgers for having a golden arched style "M" on his last name on his business card. You may say, that is ridiculous; how will that hurt McDonalds?

Here is how it could be bad. If another company selling hamburgers decides to use the name McDonald's and the golden arches, McDonalds would have the right to go to court, of course. (Trade-mark violation) The bad part is that the defendant would pull the first case if McDonalds didn't agressively sue and protect its name. This would be a very strong defense against McDonalds and they could loose their trade-mark by having it become a common "name" trade-mark.

Much like Zerox had a problem since everybody says they are going to "zerox" a sheet of paper.

These same principles apply to the Holman. Holman cannot just give it away, nor can it charge a ridiculously low royalty without risk of loosing its intellectual property.

Just some thoughts on the matter to consider.

5. EaglewingIS4031

EaglewingIS4031 New Member

I know that! But you asked if the HCSB would gain acceptance out side of the SBC, reduced royalties at is one way to do it. I understand (may be mistaken) that Crossway is very generous in permitting the use of the ESV comparred to other versions. This may be one reason it is developing a large following in PCA and Lutheran churches.

6. NateT

NateT Member

I apologize if any of the people that brought up money weren't counting that agaisnt the HCSB. I have seen and heard a few of these discussions before, and the people that talk money usually wind up saying that the SBC was just out to make money and we didn't need the new translation etc. If that wasn't the point, I'm sorry for assuming it was.

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

You haven't said anything wrong. Just stated what you have heard and your opinion...that's what we are here for.

I have heard the same things. I do want to make a point that I, personally, think the HCSB is a fine translation and it is a shame it will probably not be accepted beyond the SBC. Like was mentioned above, if they will keep the royalties reasonable it might help, but the ESV is printed by a non-committed publishing house and the Holman is a SBC house. That is going to make a big difference just in the perception of the translation regardless of how much its royalties are.