1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Holy Father according to who?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by 37818, Jul 25, 2019.

1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ho′ly Fa′ther

n.
    a title of the pope.
    [1375–1425]
    Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.

Jesus in prayer - John 17:11, ". . . And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. . . ."

Jesus' teaching on titles, Matthew 23:8-10, ". . . be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren. And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven. Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ. . . ."

Also in John 14:6, ". . . Jesus saith . . . , I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. . . ."

And the the Apostle Paul wrote in his letter, 1 Timothy 2:5-6, ". . . For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. . . ."

And to the Corinthian church wrote, 2 Corinthians 11:3-4, ". . . But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, . . ."

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is your purpose in starting this thread?

3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

If it is not obvious to you: I personally see that state Roman Catholic Church as a false cult, with a false Christ and a false gospel. On account of 1 John 5:1, I also do believe there are Catholics who are genuine Christians, since it is God who does the saving and does keeping, John 10:27-30.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
  4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No such thing as an obvious post. It is obnoxious to post as you did and not add what your purpose and goal is.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how would you have done it differently?

6. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

'
    Officially, no such thing as a pope. Just bishop of Rome.

The endearment is traditional not doctrinal.

Make sure you call no one Doctor, Teacher. No more calling people MR. MRS. (abbreviation of MASTER/MISTRESS)
    No POPS, DAD.

Anyways...... Why should anyone one of us CARE or DO ANYTHING Jesus says?

Would it put my salvation in danger if I DON'T DO WHAT HE COMMANDS? GOOD WORKS?

7. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I suggest attacking the Catholics by quoting their Catechism. Because only then its a solid attack. Misrepresentation is ineffective.

Its like if I accuse you of worshiping socks. I can insist you worship socks over and over again. I'm pretty sure you can just shrug it off.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Missinterpretation and excuse to not obey Christ's teaching on the matter. Jesus tells of the rich man properly calls his ancestor ". . . Father Abraham . . . ," Luke 16:24. The Apostle John truthfully refers spiritual fathers as "fathers," 1 John 2:13. We call our parent, father. These are differences from what Jesus taught against doing.

9. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 6:68.
    John 3:3.

10. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    More Catholic bashing. We have heard this kind of stuff before,

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not one orthodox believing Christian be they Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Melkite, Coptic or Catholic is confusing their Priest or Bishop with God, our actual Father, our Creator, who is heaven. Is there any possibility for you to understand that reality?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does disagreeing with Catholic doctrine amount to "Catholic bashing"?

13. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well good, so don't become a Catholic. We think you have the false gospel, being that it was a bunch of centuries before your minor sect was born.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Uh, the Catholic church itself had several centuries before it was born.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, not in all instances. This is not a case where genuine knowledge about the Catholic faith tradition is being sought - that search begins with a question to us Catholics. No, this is a statement, an accusation, taking one of our belief's and treating it as something evil.

In his #3 response, he then of course follows on with the "cult' charge, as if we haven't heard that one before either. Then his statement that he believes there are "Catholics who are genuine Christians". Well, how can that be if we believe in the Holy Catholic Church with it's Pope, it's Priests, it's Sacraments - that goes against what he says is the "true" Christian way. We are either Christians in the fullest sense of the word or we are not. No, I am not buying the garbage that he is trying to sell.

#15 Adonia, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Catholic (Universal), we believe we are the Church descended from the early years of the Church after the Apostles - there was but one Christian Church, not the thousands of sects that exist today. We believe the same things as the early Bishop's of the Universal (Catholic) Church taught - the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, the rest of the sacraments, and our worship service the Holy Mass is virtually identical as the early church's was.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what you believe but none of that was practiced until later. Not in the 1st century.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NT documents were written by the 1st century church prophets and Apostles (Ephesians 2:18-22) which predates all the current churches - including yours from the 3rd century.

19. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are correct, but things were slowly but surely moving in that direction. It was how the new Christian Church evolved.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    then your earlier standard is flawed.