1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Home Missions

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Servent, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Servent

Servent Member

On another Forum rbrent started a new post on supporting home missionaries,The post was stoped due to being on the wrong fourm, I would like to ask the same question here. He feel missionaries who work in the states should work to support themselfs, What are your thoughts on this subject.His original post is in the Missions forum.
    I am not sure if he is refering to full time or part time missionaries. I know Paul worked to support himself, I also work to support myself and my family,It does cut into the time I have to spend on the streets witnessing, which I love to do.I feel that we should support our home missionaries, maybe not with as much as those who are overseas but they still need our support.

2. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

I have been in the pastoral ministry since I was 19 yo - I have always worked a secular job - to support my family. It's not the best way to be a pastor of a church.

Most pastors are completely supported by their churches - why shouldn't home missionaries also be fully supported - so that they can full time in the Lord's work.

Dan - and that's my opinion!

3. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

My pastor has been in ministry for 56 years. at least 50 of that has been as a church planter. He has served as a Bi-Vocational pastor for 56 out of 56 years. Many pastors serve that way. The extent of the ministry should determine the extent of support. If the man is serving the Lord 45 hours a week then he should be fully supported as he cannot provide for his family in the secular workspace at the same time.