1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homosexuals are born gay

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JRG39402, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Oh, you're a real study. Did you miss this?

2. standingfirminChrist

A paper that does not emphatically porve that homosexuality is a genetic disease is not concrete evidence that it is. Point goes to DHK

3. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Gina, I admit it, I am fascinated with the fascination others have with this subject. But, I just don't see the same interesting outrage from Christians regarding the eating of pork. If so, I'd be there laughing as well.

4. Petrel

Petrel New Member

A paper saying that the evidence clearly points towards a genetic component for sexual orientation is not evidence there is a genetic component for sexual orientation? Somehow I don't think that you're an impartial judge. . .

5. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

I just searched Google and picked one.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Like I said: Real conclusive isn't it. Learn to read between the lines. There isn't any scientific evidence no matter what kind of gobbley-gook they feed you. The article summed up says that they have no conclusive evidence of homosexual-gene-related findings. Live with it.
    DHK

7. standingfirminChrist

They cannot produce what is not there, DHK.

8. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

I heard an interesting study recently that guys with big brothers had a disproportionately higher probability of HOMO'ism. The rate increased as the number of older brothers rose.

I'm not sure of the implications but it was well-documented.

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Don't post that which you cannot document or substantiate.

10. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

11. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Don't post that which you cannot document or substantiate. </font>[/QUOTE]Maybe I am lying?
    http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2000/yax-209.htm

12. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Could be genetic, could be hero worship of older brothers, could be male sibling rape (very common you know) Could be chemical androgens, like finger length and its proportion to other digit size.

13. Petrel

Petrel New Member

DHK, not in science, huh? Let me explain the excerpt I posted in layman's terms as much as possible. First of all, homosexuality runs in families. Secondly, it appears that homosexuality is generally an X-linked trait, which explains why mothers carrying certain alleles tend to father homosexual sons. The fact that this is chiefly X-linked is confirmed by the observation that homosexuality is not passed to boys by their fathers (their father transmits a Y chromosome, the X chromosome comes from the boy's mother). So far that is completely consistent. Girls, on the other hand, have two X chromosomes and are (obviously) not male, so it makes complete sense that homosexuality in women would have a different genetic basis. Among girls evidence indicates that alleles on the X chromosome are involved but so are genes on the autosomal chromosomes (that's the other chromosomes besides the two sex chromosomes). Twin studies show that this genetic basis is not an on-off switch, indicating an environmental effect on a person's final sexual orientation, but do indicate that genetics are important.

Next is the tricky part--tracking down the responsible genes. Since this is going to be due to a complex interaction of multiple genes, it will be quite a chore. One study implicated a gene on the X chromosome (confirmed by its influence in males again), but in a different set of families different alleles seem to be acting, with three autosomal chromosome genes being implicated. Finally a study of two specific enzymes theorized to be involved gave inconclusive evidence--these enzymes might be involved, or an entirely different set might be.

Gee, you hold others to quite a high standard while your own opinion is allowed to stand as absolute truth. . . I've read that paper, I'll go dig it up for you once again. . .

14. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

I hate to leave women out of this, but some of these only apply to male gays. It does seem that a lot of women simply choose to become lesbians because they have been mistreated by men.

15. standingfirminChrist

Could be is not concrete. I could say 'Could be I am blind because I got hit by a train.' But that is not the truth

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

SB, I'm familiar with LeVay's study, and have read his position papers, as well as critiques. He admitted in 1994 that the part of the brain studied, the INAH 3 (Intersticial Nuclei of the Anterior Hypothalamus), 9 of the 41 subjects studied did not exhibit the INAH 3 "mark" (a smaller neuron base in gay men versus straight).
    This destroys the statistical basis of the "gay brain" argument, that was originally picked up by Time Magazine on February 24, 1992.

Sandy Zetlan, an eminent researcher with the University of Wisconsin (Ph.D., neurosciences) called his findings "nonsense." Ms. Zetlan, (who is Jewish, not Christian) concludes bluntly:

"Therefore, LeVay has not found a biological substrate for sexual orientation."

one source

SB, I have talked to some great minds on this issue, and what I have learned further makes me appreciate the miracle of life God has given us, and that we indeed do have a choice when it comes to our sexual behavior.

I do apologize for my harsh words earlier, especially about you as a teacher. That was over the line. I do stand by my opinion of this issue (homosexuality: choice, not genetic), as I see it backed up by Scripture and science.

Finally, I stand by my own track record of ministry--as I say, I have had students in my ministry who have dealt with these issues. I am convinced I have been truthful, yet loving; redemptive, yet uncompromising. And I continue to see God move, work, and change lives.

17. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

Standing...So, why do you think you're blind? I'm curious.

[ March 16, 2006, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: SuperBaptist ]

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Note carefully the conclusion of this absolutely ridiculously flawed "study" done in none other than "San Francisco."

There are some key words and phrases to look for in any such study. I have bolded some of them for you. Notice that there is not one "fact" given in this study. There is nothing conclusive that they could come to. Suggestions mean nothing. Suggestions mean coincidences. The study is ridiculous.
    DHK

19. SuperBaptist

SuperBaptist New Member

rbell, no prob, I love you, but don't take that the wrong way.

20. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Here is the abstract of an article examining this quite well-known older brother effect:

"Quantitative and theoretical analyses of the relation between older brothers and homosexuality in men." Blanchard, R. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 2004, 230, 173-187.