1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Horoscopes and Divination

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by TWade, Apr 21, 2004.

1. TWade

TWade New Member

Horoscopes, tarot cards, fortune telling, etc.

Are these acceptable forms of entertainment for a Christian?

Deuteronomy 18: 10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.
    11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
    12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Touch not the unclean thing. Abstain from all appearance of evil, etc.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Plenty of scripture to warn believers away from any of that kind fo stuff.

Think it is pretty much black and white on this issue.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

It may seem black and white, but in the past we've had Christians on the board who believed there was nothing wrong with it.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You've been here a lot longer than I have sister donnA, I still have a hard time seeing how Christians could reason that.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Donna is correct. We have members who think astrology is not harmful or unscriptural.

We had a discussion on that John ..... oh the man who claims to talk to the dead... and how some think he can. What IS his name??

Diane

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I encourage people not to ask the question, "What is wrong with it?" But "What is right about it?"

It is time that God has given us and we must be good stewards of that time.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

No - it's not a healthy part of the disciple's life.

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Horoscopes, tarot cards, and fortune telling are all for one purpose - to tell the future.

Of course it is wrong. That is clearly stated.

I know in whom I have believeth and I know who holds tomorrow. I don't need to read horoscopes.

Anyone who takes them seriously, obviously does not know the Master who holds the future in His hands.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They have no basis in reality, spirituality, sumernaturality, etc. They're purely fictional, tylically performed by charlatains trying to get a buck from your wallet.

Depends what you're referring to. Simply reading a horoscope is of no value either way. Believing that a horoscope might have some reality, that's dangerous, and inappropriate for the Christian. Best, howeverm for a Cristian to not bother reading 'em.

But, to answer your question, generally, no, I don't believe they're acceptible.

However, I challenge everyone to do the following: Get hold of, say, the year end predictions of Sylvia Brown. Put them aside, until the following year, then read them. You'll be surprised that nearly all of them were incorrect. I wish I could remember the study, but a few years ago, a local college did a statistics survey using the predictions of Sylvia Brown and Jean Dixon. The results were that the success rate of the predictions were slightly higher than chance. They did the same with tarot cards and generic "fortune telling". Same results.

Folks, there's no such thing as a person being able to fortell the future. Anyone who claims as such is trying to sell you snake oil. Besides, I know the future. My future is in the hands of my Father in Heaven. What more do I need to know?

10. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Is this sinful or silly?

You can find these for coffee, beer, perfumes, ice cream flavors, handwriting styles and EVEN if your lipstick is pointed, rounded, flattened or a sharp spike on one side!

I vote silly.
    Diane

11. TWade

TWade New Member

Diane,

I sent you a PM. Being an administrator/moderator, you should probably take time to read it.

12. TWade

TWade New Member

You don't have to take it seriously. In fact, you shouldn't engage in it at any level whether you take it serious or not. It is divination and not to be entertained.

13. I Am Blessed 24

divination: The art of foretelling the future or the unknown through supernatural means.

These 'fun' things do not tell the future, but rather dwell on personality types and characteristics.

I put no more store in them than I do in fortune cookies!

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Twade, the stuff Diane is reffing to is more along the lines of personality profiling, not divination. Personality profiling is, believe it or not, a real industry, used by the marketing world to anticipate its consumers.

Sue, interestingly, in regards to fortune cookies, there's a chinese restaurant near me that I visit regularly at lunch. I take the fortunes and tape them to my monitor. I have about 30 or so surrounding my screen. My fav's are:

Somebody is thinking of you
    Someone is speaking well of you
    You have an excellent sense of humor
    You will inhierit a large sum of money (I've had this one for four years, an I know if I just hang on to it long enough... :D )

and my favorite:

Promote literacy. Buy a box of fortune cookies today.

15. TWade

TWade New Member

Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: div·i·na·tion
    Pronunciation: "di-v&-'nA-sh&n
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English divinacioun, from Latin divination-, divinatio, from divinare
    1 : the art or practice that seeks to foresee or foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge usually by the interpretation of omens or by the aid of supernatural powers
    2 : unusual insight : intuitive perception

Horoscopes fit the category.

16. TWade

TWade New Member

Diane,

I got your PM. Please disregard my post above.

Also, I apologize for entering into debate on the Tree thread. It was wrong, seeing that it is not a debate forum. Please accept my apologies.

17. I Am Blessed 24

Absolutely. I agree that horoscopes are divination.

I disagree that these personality 'things' are divination.

They are describing what is already here, not what is to come in the future.

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

What does it say about me that I poke holes in the bottom of the chocolates to see what is inside? LOL Who cares about the shapes! I want the gooey sweet filling!

Diane

19. I Am Blessed 24

Johnv:

We had Chinese last night and my fortune cookie said, "Eat healthy - an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Wow! Even fortune cookies don't tell fortunes anymore!

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Tom,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    No problem.

Diane