1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How about some book reviews of various books on Bible versions!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Feb 13, 2005.

1. natters

natters New Member

I believe Brother Westcott because I have personally looked up those quotes in context, directly from their books. Askjo, have you, or have you simply repeated what you heard someone else say about them?

2. David J

David J New Member

Shame on you Askjo for slandering Westcott and telling a lie.

Shame shame shame!

You really should correct yourself and regain some honor.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I read what Westcott did NOT believe in the Bible."

I would suggest that you have have never read Westcott, but only the ellipted "proof texts" that paint him to be a heretic.

Why do you insist upon slandering Westcott? He, to be sure, was wrong in some places, but not in the ones you insist on skewering him. I wouldn't defend his entire theology, but the mangled quotes get a little silly.

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Let's try to refrain from questioning another person's salvation.

Since this was not about a person on this board I am letting it slide, but since we do not know all of the details about Mr. Westcott's life and how many misquotes have been made about him--let's let God judge him.

Is that a deal?

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The proof text:

KJV John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

ASV John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NIV John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NAS John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

RSV John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NKJ John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

HankD

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

James R. White is not scholarly to say, "inspired authors" because NOWHERE in the Bible said God inspired authors instead of His Words. </font>[/QUOTE]Except that pseky little thing Peter wrote about men being moved by the Holy Spirit. That is a reference to the inspiring work of God on the men themselves.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Amen Pastor Larry!

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

The proof text:

KJV John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

ASV John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NIV John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NAS John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

RSV John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

NKJ John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]__________________________________________________

Here is a curiosity.

If the KJV rendering of this verse is acceptable then why not the rest of the Book?

In HIS service;
    Jim

9. yabba

yabba New Member

Who said the KJV is unacceptable?

10. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To refer to "inspired prophets or apostles" is in agreement with early pre-1611 English Bible terminology from the very good English Bibles of which the KJV was a revision. 1534 Tyndale's, 1537 Matthew's, 1539 Great, 1557 Whittingham's, and 1568 Bishops' Bibles rendered Mark 12:36 as follows: "for David himself inspired with the Holy Ghost."

KJV translator Lancelot Andrewes preached that Christ "inspireth them [referring to the apostles] with the Holy Ghost" (NINETY-SIX SERMONS, p. 83).

Adoniram Judson (1788-1850) Baptist missionary, called the recorders of the Scriptures "the inspired penmen" (CHRISTIAN BAPTISM, p. 78).
    Baptist pastor Charles Spurgeon referred to "the inspired apostle Paul" (ALL OF GRACE, p. 116).

KJV defender Edward Hills called the writers of the Gospels "these inspired evangelists" (BELIEVING BIBLE STUDY, p. 31).

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The rest of the Book is acceptable to me where it is faithful to the original language mss as are the other versions quoted.

HankD

12. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

There isn't much to "mess up" on in John 1:1. Unless of course you mess up on the anarthrous "theos" in John 1:1 like the NWT does (WatchTower).

The King James translators were intelligent men no doubt, but not intelligent enough to translate a Bible for 400 years later. [​IMG]

Also, I have found out first hand that bro. Cloud doesn't like to be questioned on this matter. I sent him some questions and when he didn't (and apparently couldn't) answer them, he basically just said I didn't know what I was talking about. [​IMG]

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My response from Cloud was similar. He basically said he didn't have time to answer some fairly straight forward questions.

One of my questions was "Who were the early 1600's new world settlers running from when they left England for the promise of religious freedom?" To me that's a pretty simple thing to address. I suppose Mr. Cloud didn't like where the answers would require him to go.

14. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Shame on me? plus a lie? You defend Westcott against the Word Of God. I defend the Word of God against Westcott.

15. natters

natters New Member

Sorry to burst your bubble Askjo, but you are not the Word of God. I defend Westcott against YOU, who has probably never even seen in context for yourself any of his quotes you carelessly toss around.

16. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The proof text:

HankD
    </font>[/QUOTE]This is ONE verse -- These modern versions agree with the KJV because this verse that is one of 93% agreement of the wording of the TR and the CT is identical to the autograph.

10,000 words in modern versions rejected the 93% agreement of the wording.

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Amen! I second that, Jim! [​IMG]

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The Word of God defends Moses against Westcott. Moses defends the Word of God against Westcott.

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

James R. White is not scholarly to say, "inspired authors" because NOWHERE in the Bible said God inspired authors instead of His Words. </font>[/QUOTE]Except that pseky little thing Peter wrote about men being moved by the Holy Spirit. That is a reference to the inspiring work of God on the men themselves. </font>[/QUOTE]"Move" does not mean "inspired."

20. natters

natters New Member

Context defends Westcott against Askjo.

Why are you so unwilling examine your information in detail? If it is true, it will stand up to scrutiny. If it is not true, your little quips simply make it look like you're avoiding things.