1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Conciliar are you?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Matt Black, Sep 12, 2003.

?
  1. Doctrinally correct decisions made by the true church(es)

61.1%
  2. Doctrinally correct decisions made by an heretical/ apostate church - true NT churches outside of th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Heretical decisions made by an heretical/ apostate church

16.7%
  4. Irrelevant decisions - true NT churches knew the truth already and didn't need the Councils

22.2%
  5. Don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The first 4 great Ecumenical Church Councils of the 4th and 5th centuries - Nicaea I (325), Contantinople I (381), Ephesus (432) and Chalcedon (451)made important doctrinal pronouncements concerning the nature of the Trinity, the nature of the Incarnation and millenialism. What, as good Baptists, do we think of them?

2. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So far (early days) we seem to have 100% uptake on Option #1. I take it from this that we are agreed that the church(es) were sound until the mid-5th century at least, so the question flowing from that is at what point and why and how did they deviate from sound doctrine?

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. Tim

Tim New Member

If only Darby or Scofield had been around back then they might have gotten their millenialism right!

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nicene? Isn't that a vitamin?

I prefer to think of it as the Athanasian Formulation for describing the trinity; I thinks it's about as close as humans can come to explaining it, but I do not believe that one is lost without agreeing with every word.

After all, the Latins and the Greeks still disagree over one word, yet they both consider each other orthodox.

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I think you'll find that's niacin, mate :D

Interestingly, I've read one of Darby's anti-Catholic polemics wherein he quotes with approval from the Councils against the RCs; obviously he was conveniently forgetting that Constantinople I condemnde his chiliaism/ millenialism [​IMG] .

Yours in Christ

Matt

6. Kiffin

Kiffin New Member

The Councils of - Nicaea I (325), Contantinople I (381), Ephesus (432) and Chalcedon (451) are extremely significant and sadly are rarely taught about in Baptist Sunday school material.