1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How did you arrive at Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by S0l0m0n, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did you arrive at Calvinism, Doctrines Grace, or whatever you wish to call it? Perhaps Synod of Dort-ism is the most accurate.
    (This is not about dramatic conversion stories, please save those for when you feel like selling a book.)

I was raised a Baptist and early on would hear about Calvinist ideas; as my parents tended to believe that. Yet, I never accepted that and was always rebellious. 'Free-will' beliefs coincided perfectly with my rebellious mindset. Soon enough, the church that changed to 'free-will' doctrines, went down hill and I did as well.

Years later and independently, I came to a near total agreement with the so-called T.U.L.I.P., when comparing it's merits (valid verses) against Arminianism and 'free-will' doctrines.
    And yet, even looking back to when I was 'free-will', I could never shake the conviction of the Truth from the following verses:

Ephesians 1:4-5 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: 5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,​

• Like Like x 1
  2. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think I ever arrived at Calvinism, if you mean a follower of John Calvin.
    I was raised in a free will church (what some coin "traditional" Baptist). I went to a college that taught unlimited atonement and praying the sinners prayer to "get saved."
    God brought some significant grief into my life and because I thought I was the person whose words and actions were the reason a person would be saved, I was devastated to have my best friend die in his sins. I took full blame and refused comfort. I thought I had failed God and as a failure God must hate me. I was at the brink of suicide, but God caused me to just read the Bible.
    I read Romans and saw grace. When I read Romans 7, I related with Paul. "Who will deliver me from this body of death?" Then came Romans 8, that blessed chapter. "Thanks be to God, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."
    The phrase "in Christ" caught my eye. I wanted to study that phrase, so I got a concordance and Bible dictionary to learn what it meant. I looked up every place where the Bible said in Christ. From there I started seeing the word "chosen." I wanted to know more. The more I studied, the more I saw that God determines our salvation, but he uses Christians and the Bible to speak the message of reconciliation. The more I read scripture the more I saw God choosing from Adam onward. It was probably 5 years or more before I heard someone call me a Calvinist when I was talking to them about faith. So, I looked it up and what I read looked like what I had come to believe. Am I a Calvinist? I haven't read much that John Calvin wrote. I have read and listened to various pastors and teachers who are labeled Calvinists. People like John Piper, Alistair Begg and Voddie Baucham. I am enamored with the Supremacy of God and God removed all my guilt. I have been learning to say like Paul, "In everything I am content." I never thought I would ever be at this point. I thought I would be dead, because I thought I deserved it. But God...made me alive with Christ.
    My favorite verse is this:

I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
    ~ Galatians 2:20

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful reading and belief of the Scriptures, over a significant period of time.
    It took a while for all of it to sink in.

I saw "eternal security" early on, probably in the early '80's ( I've been a believer since 1978, when I heard the Gospel in a "Traditionalist" Independent Baptist church during a revival meeting at the age of 12 ).

Then I saw individual election in 2003 after a friend of mine showed me three passages:
    Romans 8:29-30
    Ephesians 1:4-5.
    2 Thessalonians 2:13-14.

I had been a believer for about 25 years before I saw these, due to my neglect of the Scriptures over that time period. :Redface

Added to that I found:
    Psalms 65:4.
    John 6:29.
    John 6:64-65.
    John 10:26
    Acts of the Apostles 13:48.

and many others.

My favorite verse is in my signature.
    But if I had to choose another, it would be the one @Particular has listed.
    Like him, I've not read much of John Calvin, if at all.

I've only recently begun listening to men like Rolfe Barnard, DJ Ward, Voddie Baucham, Henry Mahan, Don Fortner and others on Sermon Audio / Free Grace Radio, and I find their preaching very refreshing in these last days.

But, I've never felt that I needed anything other than God's word, truthfully.
    Preaching like these men do is simply icing on the cake.:)

#3 Dave G, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't arrive at Calvinism, I was brought up in it... I started going with my folks and family at the age of seven when they joined the church... I sat under this doctrine and heard the true doctrine of Sovereign Grace, preached from the KJV and joined the saints of God at the age of 22, and never looked back.

I never needed to search for the truth because I grew up in it... No one had to teach me TULIP because that is all, the preachers, preached... True Sovereign Grace doesn't allow for a works doctrine, no matter what any man says... God is Sovereign and man is not... Like kyredneck a good friend and brother said on here awhile back, until you understand Total Depravity, you will never understand TULIP... I've been Sovereign Grace and embraced TULIP for over 50 years... Brother Glen:)

5. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your experience is interesting in that, at first, wishing to know more about Jesus ("'in Christ' caught my eye") it took you into further insight about Him and how you should properly think. I don't think it'd be out of place to say that all true knowledge begins and ends at Him. (Maybe that thought about knowledge came from a possibly related verse that I read today: Ephesians 1:22-23 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.)

Amen to that; I can't express that enough. People want freedom and liberty; and in what you said is true freedom and liberty.
    Your conviction on personal responsibility drove you away from the frighteningly unstable ground of 'free-will', to the infinitely stable reliance on God. It's beyond me that 'free-will' individuals cannot see just how absolutely helpless they are when they depend on their own strength, and not realizing the vastness of sin and Satan, who is out to destroy them. Well, aside from sin and death, it is an inexplicably great thing to be as you said: 'enamored with the Supremacy of God'.

6. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel the very same conviction; and I truly believe that to be the Holy Spirit reminding us to commit to Him. So many times, I will go into the particulars of various concepts within theology and yet it feels empty and lacking. I turn then to Scripture; just contemplating a single verse suddenly uplifts my soul again.
    Theologians and pastors write endlessly (and often uselessly) about Augustine, Calvin, Luther, etc. and yet those very men (Augustine, Calvin, Luther) tell us to always turn to Scripture.

• Like Like x 1
  7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isn't the only true answer:

"God predestined me to be a Calvinist?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    tyndale1946: It's good to hear that you grew up with stable theology. 'Calvinism' was believed by my parents, yet as we went to another church, said church hated it apparently. My parents still lived a life according to proper theology. I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, yet, lives reflect theological beliefs. I'd see the 'free-will' people 'fired up' for God (emotionally driven) only to see them over time become weaker in their convictions, as their emotions were their sword and shield in the faith. Once their emotions weren't as fired up, they were easy prey for the Devil.

9. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Better: 'God predestined me to be a Christian.'

And as to the 'answer': We do not currently live in eternal bliss with God in resurrected bodies, and so we struggle day-by-day in our mortal bodies of sin. We all live in ignorance and constantly strive for truth; should we actually have the Holy Spirit indwelling us.

• Like Like x 1
  10. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave Gilbert: Thanks for reminding me of Psalm 65:4. I'm often elsewhere in Scripture and then a verse from the Psalms is quoted and I'm left wondering why I don't study that Book more. It makes sense why churches throughout the ages have made it a constant and mandatory Book.

• Like Like x 1
  11. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"I was at the brink of suicide, but God caused me to just read the Bible."

Typical "Rock-Bottom Convert". Expects everyone else to go through just as worse and be just as worse.

So vanity and pride insists everyone else must be as depraved as they are.

12. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Particular used real life examples to logically show their arrival at what is called 'Calvinism'.

utilyan, I can't tell if you are aggressively attacking or being sarcastic.
    How then did you arrive at what is called 'Calvinism'? Or did you arrive at it by force and are trying to frustrate the grace of God?

13. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think this is what God thought of me?

14. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Please be a mind reader. Start with God."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think? Was utilyan's thoughts about me what God thinks about me?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I became a Christian I was in a segment of Christianity that treated Calvinism and John Calvin as "He who shall not be named." There was never any debate for or against the merits of Calvinism, just disdain and ridicule. This carried over to a Bible college I attended. I began to wonder what all these critics were afraid of. No debates. No wrestling with the text. Just condemnation. I began to ask questions about Calvinism and TULIP and was told how dangerous they were. Being told to avoid something without a reasonable explanation just increased my curiosity, so I began to study the issue. It began by reading the book of Romans followed by reading Ephesians. I never had a "light go off in my head" moment. My study of scripture began to increase my questions. Since there were no honest answers forthcoming from my pastor and deacons, I had to seek counsel elsewhere. Reading Charles Spurgeon had a tremendous influence on my thinking. Eventually, I saw the answer to my questions in scripture. Like Spurgeon, I began to understand the term "Calvinism" from a Baptist perspective. The term was synonymous with the Reformed view of predestination and election (a.k.a. the Doctrines of Grace), not everything else John Calvin believed. I became convinced that the Calvinistic view of predestination and election was what the Bible taught. The rest is, as they say, history.

The response to my theological change ran the gamut from disappointment to outright vitriol. While the resistance I received did not make my changed understanding correct, the fact that no one tried to change my mind by reasoning from scripture convinced me that they did not know why they believed what they believed. So, in the end, it was the study of scripture that changed my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see in your signature that you subscribe to the 1689 Baptist Confession, and I agree with it as well. That great piece of real, traditional and orthodox church history blew my mind away. Nobody ever introduced me to it; and yet for decades I had been hearing about so-called Baptist history. (More 'Trail of Blood' lies; calling heretics and Gnostics [such as Cathars] of the past to be true Baptists.) It was only on my own, in my own research did I discover the 1689 Confession and realize what true Baptist theological history was. And I believe it was not 'my own', but God leading me. As I was desperate for solid doctrine.

Also, I'm sick and tried of the endless 'What we believe' sections on church websites where they all manufacture some slightly new form of theology. Whereas, if someone says they agree with 1689 Baptist Confession, you know they have a much greater potential to be trust-worthy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops...

19. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But I know churches that claim to subscribe to the 1689 Second London Baptist of Faith and conduct themselves in a completely different manner. I consider them 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith to be a trustworthy commentary on the major doctrines and church practices found in scripture. It is not scripture and should be viewed as such. It is a man-made document that is a useful tool. Its usefulness ends there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. S0l0m0n

S0l0m0n Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome, in my greeting (Greetings from the North East (USA)) you welcomed me with such ARBCA info... and to ensnare me in a welcome?! What a vile individual.

The ARBCA is found to be corrupt and rotten like any other man-made group.

The 1689 Baptist Confession is not at all damaged by them.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.