1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Do Fellow baptist regard Now Billy Graham?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Yeshua1, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Wow...that's quite a list. I certainly wouldn't want to be in that company, especially Sunday, Hyles and Rice.

I'm not the greatest fan of Billy Graham, but I think he's a genuine believer who has preached the gospel to many. Including him with a bunch of fundamentalists wackos isn't appropriate.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

He had good intentions, but he certainly wasn't too bright, and he consistently made a fool out of himself and was a real embarrassment to evangelicalism.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea liberal always hate them. Be careful when you speak of Rice as his grandson is a frequent member on this board.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Say liberals......................... Not a credible source for judging his character.

5. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

It has nothing to do with "liberal" crap. Most of evangelicalism found Falwell a real embarrassment.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You of course mean the "Evangelical left" correct?

7. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tonofbricks: You approve of the lifestyle of Jack Hyles? The things he did and the things he said certainly gave a black eye to his ministry. Say what you will, but I don't believe Hyles will hear "Thou good and faithful servant" from the Lord!

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a pile of Buffalo chips.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Before anyone criticizes Graham or Falwell, one should ask, what have I done in comparison? It is kind of like the armchair warriors in the polticial and news section telling everyone how we should already be in war with so and so when they never lifted one finger to serve.

Did you ever found a college/university that has lead to who knows how many pastors and Christian leaders? Have you preached the Gospel to millions and been an instrument of God in leading millions to Christ?

My guess the answer is no, most who are layman are pew sitters, and many pastors have not seen a conversion in years. Plus that, most Baptist pastors are so fat their image would not fit within the lens of the camera.

So, if any of you criticizing Billy Graham would care to, and I am just a layman, I would be glad to compare my record with yours, ministry wise.

#29 saturneptune, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2013
  10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I an glad Billy Graham spoke of biblical repentance,and never was involved in financial, or sexual scandal.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's a man who did what thought was bet, made mistakes but overall was faithful to his call. Like any of us I'm sure there are things he would want to do different, but who among us wouldn't?

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Falwell....well if you can't say something nice

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in 1987, I attended a prayer breakfast in Atlanta, Ga. Special guest was Billy Graham.
    He related that many years previously, he had done a revival in Atalanta (1950). He stated that when that crusade was over, the Atlanta Newspaper had a political cartoon showing Billy holding several money bags and a big grin as he was leaving Atlanta.
    Mr. Grahmn stated that is when the BGEA (with a board) was set up and that he was put on a salary -

To ensure no one mistook his actions, Graham had a policy to avoid being alone with any woman other than his wife. This has come to be known as the Billy Graham Rule.[14] from this link

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Your personal accounts of Billy Graham and Jerry Falwell are interesting to say the least. If I had to rank the two, I would put Billy Graham above Jerry Falwell, but that is just opinion. Not always, but Jerry Falwell at times came across the camera as angry or mad, when he probably was not. The one thing that always puzzled me about him was the relationship with Larry Flynt. If I recall, it started from a very degrading and nasty article in his disguisting magazine about Jerry Falwell and one of his relatives. At first, it seemed like he was very angry. As time went on, it turned into an almost love-hate relationship, and believe they actually debated together in some form of media. That really struck me as odd. However, I base my respect for Jerry Falwell on Liberty University, and the pastors and Christian leaders it has produced over the years. There is no telling how many souls have come to Christ as a direct or indirect result of that school.

I almost laughed at the time, but do you remember the guy who had a program to call Jerry Falwell's donation line several times a minute and tie up his lines?

Billy Graham has made some zingers statements in his later years, but he never seemed angry to me. I am sure it is the fact that some are better suited to a camera, kind of like Nixon vs Reagan. However, your points about Billy Graham going out of his way to even avoid the appearance of evil speaks volumes for him.

15. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I think Falwell did Jim Baker wrong when Baker got into trouble during the last days of PTL.

16. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Evangelist Billy Graham recalls in his new book the pivotal point in his young ministry when, during a 1949 Los Angeles crusade, a two-word directive from publisher William Randolph Hearst to "puff Graham" made him an instant celebrity nationwide.

The sudden front-page coverage showered on Graham by Hearst newspapers in mid-October (after three weeks of little notice) was quickly matched by other newspapers and newsmagazines--literally a media circus descending on his rallies under a big tent.
    Where would Billy Graham be today if it wasn't for the rich magnet William Randolph Hearst ? To be a well know evangelist like Billy Graham takes money. If you agree with his message and his soul winning tactics then he is a hero to you. I believe that every false prophet will hang himself if given enough rope.

17. salzer mtn

Jerry Falwell, a fundy that preached the does and dont's to others but couldn't live up to it in his own life. The subject of a glutton is mentioned more times in the bible than some of the topics he preached on. The bible say's, But i keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest by any means , when i preach to others, i myself should be a castaway 1 Cor 9:27.

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you calling him a false prophet here? have had disagreements with how he viewed catholics/charasmatics as holding to same christianity as us, but would NEVER say Billy graham was a false prophet!

19. salzer mtn

His own mouth condemned him when he was interviewed by Larry King and Robert Schuller.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A godly man and a great preacher. In the 70's I rarely missed a televised crusade. I went and saw him in Minneapolis at the Metrodome in 1996.

Critics who say he has people sign a card and sends them back to any church are misinformed. You sign a card, yes, are given a copy of the gospel of John, a Q & A booklet, and you are assigned a mentor who suggests an evangelical church and follows up with phone calls to see how you are doing in your new Christian life.