1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do They Know?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by OldRegular, Dec 26, 2009.

1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

That I just cannot answer other than the drowning man and a hand to save.
    Instinct, desire to survive? :)

I just took what was offered, and I needed it. I was quite broken at that time.

Maybe if I had been strong I might have even acted in a way that would have been indicative of despising.

Then again, if I had been strong it may have never come to me at all?

The world has insulted God enough as it is.

2. David Michael Harris

Sheer Mercy.

Thank you Lord Jesus.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

David

As I said in the OP I believe that Salvation is a Supernatural experience. It is not simply the mechanical acceptance of the facts of the birth, sacrificial death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believed that years before I was saved because I had been taught it.

I believe that Salvation from beginning to end is the work of God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Furthermore, I believe that God works in the life of each person He has chosen to bring them to Salvation. God saves people one at a time. May I say that your admission:
    is a powerful testimony to the Grace of God.

4. OldRegular

I can give a hearty AMEN to that!

5. David Michael Harris

I guess I would agree.

Lord, I worship You. For Your Name is Holy.

Lord have mercy on others.

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Seriously, do you read my replies? I answered you already when I wrote:

"What you need to realize is that the drive to explain a truly free choice in this manner is really just a game of question begging because it assumes that a deterministic explaination is required. The choice between available options is what free will is all about and it is finally mysterious, beyond full explanation, for full explanations presuppose the very determinism we reject. Do you understand?"

7. David Michael Harris

I still reached out and took that hand I might add.

Man it's a fine line.

8. OldRegular

I would say that if you cannot explain the reason then it is not a free choice.

9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I later realized that when I reached out to take His hand, I was already being held in His other hand.

peace to you:praying:

10. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

And in doing so you reveal your ignorance of the topic. You don't have to agree with me, but at least study opposing positions and come to a basic understanding before diving in with attacks.

Allow me to explain, those of us who hold to libertarian free will believe in "first cause choices." That is we believe in Self-determination...the belief that for a choice to be morally accountable it must not be determined by anything other than the agent making that choice (Agent Causation). Your desire to find a determination ("reason") for a moral choice assumes your premise that something other than the agent himself determined his choice and is a debate fallacy call "begging the question."

Libertarian Free Will still acknowledges the influence of outside factors and even leaves room for some decisions to be "causally determined," but it maintains that for a choice to be free, and thus morally accountable, then the agent must have had the ability to willingly do other than what he ends up doing.

That is a very precursory look at the subject, so may I suggest reading up on the topic and having another go at it.

11. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did the Hebrew people have the ability to keep the Old Testament Law?

In their fallen state, do people have the ability to love the Lord God with all their heart, mind, strength?

peace to you:praying:

12. OldRegular

I made no attack; your paranoia is showing. I simply said:

That sounds just like what I said in my remarks above. If you cannot explain the reason for your "libertarian free choice" then it cannot be a free choice as I said in my original quote which I will repeat for your edification.

You may call it "begging the question if you choose. In the discussion of the OP I call it the Doctrine of Grace!

As for "Self-determination" may I quote Scripture since this is a Forum on Baptist Theology?

Proverbs 14:12, KJV There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

When it comes to Salvation I am not particularly interested in "libertarian free will" but in the Grace of God.

If you want to discuss such esoteric/arcane issues such as "libertarian free will" then perhaps you can encourage the Web Master to start a Forum on "Philosophy, etc.".

Does your "libertarian free will" tell you that you cannot defend your position on salvation so you fall back on what many on this Forum like to call "ad hominem" attacks on one's learning?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What kind of ridiculous question is that? You were regenerated when you sensed the Holy Spirit working in your life convicting you of sin. How did you think it worked? Did you think your nose lit up green when the regeneration signal hit your body?

#53 saturneptune, Dec 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2009
  14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You know what is amazing about your flawed theology, is that you believe you have it within yourself , in a fallen and sinful state, with your free will, to accept the call to salvation. Yet, once you attain that salvation, you believe you cannot lose it. In other words, you have the free will to accept salvation, but do not have it to lose it at a later date.

15. OldRegular

Excellent point!:thumbs::thumbs:

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Many sense the Holy Spirit working in their life but resist it. Just because the Holy Spirit works in a person's life does not automatically mean they become regenerated. They become regenerated when they believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and his atoning work on the cross.

17. OldRegular

Given your response above you should be able to answer the challenged posed in the OP.

Since Salvation is a supernatural work of God how do those who hold the doctrine of Freewillism know that God has not already performed an act of Grace in their life and given them the Faith to believe. They don’t! Neither can they!

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You asked the question and you answered it. Your answer is wrong. A person knows when a work of grace is done in their life. It is done when they invite Christ to be Lord of their life. At that moment Christ, by the power of his Holy Spirit comes and takes up residence in that person. Most often the person is given peace, joy, a sense of forgiveness of sins. When you say "They don't! Neither can they!" You simply tell a lie. They can. The Holy Spirit now resides within. There is a difference between one who is dead and one who is alive.

19. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I believe this is just more work games by OR. He will not stop until you say something he can twist and make it appear that you did not have a choice in responding to God, thereby saying that you, unknowingly, hold to the same doctrine he does.

Unless I read you wrong, you believe, like I do, that the Holy Spirit offers salvation and we have a choice as to whether or not to accept it.

BTW, I don't know why one accepts the Gospel while another one rejects it. I certainly don't believe the false doctrine that it is because God wants the lost to remain lost.

20. OldRegular

You are giving opinion not fact. How do you know that you "invited Christ to be Lord of your life" of your own free will or whether it was caused by a supernatural act of God? Did you make yourself spiritually alive or are you telling me that one who is spiritually dead can perform a spiritual act? Scripture itself states unequivocally:

John 6:36-39, KJV
    36. But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.
    37. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
    38. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
    39. And this is the Father’s will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 6:44, KJV
    No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 10: 14, 26-29, KJV
    14. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
    26. But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
    27. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28. And I give unto them eternal life;
    and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand.

John 6:44 alone tells us that God has already performed a supernatural act in the life of one who comes to Jesus Christ. Who are you to place limits on what God can do?

By the way, you are a moderator DHK. Isn't it contrary to the Forum rules to call someone a liar? You seem to make a habit of it.