1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do We Know That the War is Going Well?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Because its casualties havent been splashed all over the front page of the main stream newspapers and cable news shows.

"The total number of enemy attacks has fallen for four consecutive months, and has now reached levels last seen before the February 2006 Samarra mosque bombing. IED explosions have plummeted to late-2004 levels. Iraqi civilian casualties, which peaked at 3,000 in the month of December 2006, are now below 1,000 for the second straight month. The number of coalition soldiers killed in action has fallen for five straight months and is now at the lowest level since February 2004."

http://townhall.com/Columnists/RichLowry/2007/11/12/quiet_victory

2. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Could it be attributed to President Bush's rhetoric against Iran and it's supply of arms to insurgents? As well as the great job our brave troops are doing to assuage these these attacks?

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democrats consider this as evidence that it's time to surrender.

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Regardless, we are stuck there, with no end in sight. Some Democrats would like for us to leave, but there is no way out. This is a quagmire that will bleed us dry economically.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true and good news.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is true and bad news.

7. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

The war is going better, not necessarily "well." As Baptist in Richmond aptly noted:

1) We're stuck.

2) We're running out or cash.

And I'd add three other points:

3) Even after the "surge" is recalled, we still have enormous pressure on our military . (Too few soldiers are doing too much work: strategically we're spread thin.)

4) Civil unrest related to our presence in Iraq is spilling over into other areas of the Middle East due to Iraqi refugees; plus Islamic rioting in Pakistan.

5) The war has served as the single most successful recruiting tool for terrorists in modern history.

#7 Ivon Denosovich, Nov 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2007
  8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What is going to be ironic is if a Democrat wins next year, they are going to find what Ivon said above to be true: there is no way out like they were promising in the campaign. Whoever is elected, we will be there a while, so we might as well be grateful when things so well, for the better things go, the better chance of departure.

The time to stay out of a prolonged war is before getting involved.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

If you read further, you will notice:
    2017?
    Sounds like the Democrats are learning that this is a quagmire.

10. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Just bring the troops home from Korea & Germany and we are even.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

President John F. Kennedy

12. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Can you tell me what Nation are we fighting against?

Jamie

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Nation or otherwise.

14. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

That's not the quote... I just want to know what Nation we are fighting. Don't twist the quote to fit your needs...

Jamie

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

He cannot tell you what nation we are fighting, because we are not fighting a nation.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only that.

As far as JFKs quote is concerned , it doesn't matter.

It's just a feeble attempt by Jamie at misdirection.

17. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am sorry, but it does matter. The quote you used does not apply unless you can tell me of a Nation we are fighting. I know you're the seeker of truth, so I am sure you won't mind answering the question.

It is not a feeble attempt at anything other than showing that your quote does not fit in this case.

We are not at war with any Nation. If you want to state we are at war against terrorism, then you may, but we are NOT fighting any Nation.

JFK's quote was clear in what it said and what it meant. We hadn't created the 'cool' slogan of "Fighting the War on Terrorism" when JFK was alive.

Now, would you care to tell me what Nation we are fighting or would you like to state that the quote you used doesn't fit in this case.

Jamie

18. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

Sounds like a good idea to me.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry Jamie. You need to read his words again and pay attention this time. "War" is not mentioned at all.

The quote applies perfectly except to democrats who like to put a dollar value on liberty.

20. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Nice deflection... Well almost. It was YOU that brought this quote into a thread that was talking about the War, so you made it imply that it had something to do with the war.

I only asked a question to which you can't answer. Which Nation are we fighting? Maybe it's you who need to pay attention to the quotes you randomly use in a thread, where the quote don't match the content of the thread.

Want to try again and answer the question?

Please explain how you think it applies to this war in Iraq.

Was JFK talking about a war per sec, or that very fact that we could now kill off an entire country or even the world with the new found power of the nuclear age?

You see, I think JFK was thinking on a bigger scale than you're wanting his quote to fit. He wanted peace, not war and yet you want it to apply to a war that was won already.

You can try to paint yourself out of this corner all you want, but you will never make that quote fit this thread.

Jamie