1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you know?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by PastorMark, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Spirit did lead me.

First to the Douay-Rheims (Confraternity Edition), then the RSV then the KJV then the NASB then to the study of the original languages, history and culture then to the NKJV. I have no doubt about His leading in this matter.

The Spirit has also led me to consider the statement of the AV translators and use several English translations to consider the sense of the Scriptures and how to carry over that "sense" (especially idiomatic) from Hebrew/Greek into contemporary English.

IMO, "evidence" can also be affected by subjectivity and is often the object of debate. The setting of mss dates often being one area of disagreement.

Also "correct translation" is often debatable.

In the final analysis, where would faith be if there were no room for doubt or subjectivity?

I believe there should be a blend of factors in our choices of translation(s): faith (through the Spirit), evidence and common sense.

These factors have led me to the use of any faithful English translation of the Traditional Text (Primarily) with due consideration given to the Critical Text versions.

A compromise? Perhaps, but IMO inescapable since God has not ordained the material preservation of even one of the autographs from the human hands of prophets and apostles.

HankD

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you hear His voice? If so, what did He say? And, if it was of His leading, why did you have to go through so many versions before finally settling on the one you use now. Did He err the first few times he "led" you?

What was the means He used to lead you? Direct, extra-biblical revelation? A study of the manuscript evidence? A study of textual criticism? Did you learn to read Hebrew and Greek to conduct these studies on your own or did you just read the opinions of others? And, if so, how did the Holy Spirit use those extra-biblical writings to lead you, and why couldn't He use His own words? Why did He have to rely on the words of others? [​IMG]

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

You did not provide NAME of any version.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I didn't here an audible voice but in His leading He went before me guiding me and I followed through the circumstance of discovery. Other times He provided what I needed at the moment. Very much as a shepherd leading His sheep.

I don't use just one. I use several.
    No. He provided what I needed at the time just as a parent provides for each of his children according to their disposition and maturity.

In my case, He used/uses all the experiences and circumstances of my life to mature me as I assume He does all of us. We don't know all the details of the process of His leading and guiding, and IMO we don't have to know them but just trust Him to lead faithfully.

Do I/we go astray? Of course, but He makes it clear to me through the circumstances of life when I have done so.

HankD

5. SoulWinningLady

SoulWinningLady New Member

Is there ONE manuscript that is perfect?
    Which one would that be?
    Thanks
    S

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All BVs/MSs are as perfect as God chose for them to be.

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

This statement reminds me of the third step of AA:

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

This is a very subjective statement--in AA, God, as you understood Him, can be the devil himself!! I've been there.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no need to do so. My statement stands on its own. Any version correctely translated from the correct texts. What part of that didn't you understand?

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

There is no need to do so. My statement stands on its own. Any version correctely translated from the correct texts. What part of that didn't you understand? </font>[/QUOTE]I understand your previous posts. I asked you to name it, but you refuse to name it. Are you afraid?

10. standingfirminChrist

If all versions contradict each other in certain passages, they cannot all be correct.

11. SoulWinningLady

I am still wondering which texts are the correct ones and how do you know they are correct?
    :confused:

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is because there is no "it" to name. There are several English bibles that meet the criteria. The Tyndale Bible, the Cranmer Bible, the Bishops' Bible, the Geneva Bible, the KJV, the LITV, the KJ2000, the TMB, the KJVII, and, with some reservations, the NKJV. And there are probably others that meet the criteria as well.

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The studied the manuscript evidence, and textual criticism, and made a determination which set of rules were more likely to point to the correct textform. When those rules are consistantly applied the evidence points toward the Byzantine textform as best representing the autographs.

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the same criteria, if the KJV of 1611 contradicts the KJV of 1769 then, according to your position, they cannot both be correct. Which one do you believe is the "real" KJV?

15. Askjo

Askjo New Member

That is because there is no "it" to name. There are several English bibles that meet the criteria. The Tyndale Bible, the Cranmer Bible, the Bishops' Bible, the Geneva Bible, the KJV, the LITV, the KJ2000, the TMB, the KJVII, and, with some reservations, the NKJV. And there are probably others that meet the criteria as well. </font>[/QUOTE]Thank you for answering. [​IMG]

16. standingfirminChrist

neither contradict each other. The spelling is different, but they do not contradict each other.

17. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

how many words must be different in order for it to constitute a contradiction? 1, 2, 3?

18. SoulWinningLady

The studied the manuscript evidence, and textual criticism, and made a determination which set of rules were more likely to point to the correct textform. When those rules are consistantly applied the evidence points toward the Byzantine textform as best representing the autographs. </font>[/QUOTE]Ok. So, do you believe these texts are perfect or only the autographs?

19. standingfirminChrist

Providence Won't Fail

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can show you several instances where the words of the KJV1611 are different from the words of the KJV1769 (which you probably use) that are not spelling differences or correction of printer's errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.