1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you study the Bible?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Freshchicken, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Freshchicken

Freshchicken New Member

I'm looking for new methods. The only way I have ever studied scripture was to read straight through and I'm starting to realize that it isn't working too well. So what works for you? Do you take notes? Highlight? Memorize? or just read?

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

All of the above, as well as taking a subject and following it through the Bible; the Thompson Chain Reference is great for that. Also, I enjoy audio cd's of the Bible. The King James you can download for free and burn them on cd's with Windows Media Player.

3. Jacob Webber

Jacob Webber New Member

I like to listen to the Bible sometimes it is easier than reading and also to have two different Translations like the NKJV, NLT and the NIV so that you can better understand what the Sripture is trying to get across. I find the Strongs Reffrence to be helpful as well. And the Internet is a goo d source of info here are a couple of sites to use as well.

www.icr.org
    www.answersingenesis.org
    www.equip.org
    www.christiananswers.net
    www.bible.com (You can view diffrent versions here)

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I choose a book and read it slowly. Usually it's in a study Bible, and I read the notes as well. My pastor has recommended choosing a book in the Bible and then reading it several times in a row as you can really get to know a book this way, but this does not work for me as I like to go to a new book. Sometimes, however, I will read through a book in one version (like the NASB), then read through it again in the NET Bible or another version. That is kind of interesting.

Have you considered getting a study guide and working your way through a book with that? I think the NavPress Life Changes series is great. They offer booklets on several books of the OT and NT. They have good questions, commentaries, and thought-provoking application questions. It's a more structured approach and causes a lot of reflection on what you are reading.

5. KayDee

KayDee New Member

I believe the best form of Bible Study is inductively which means letting the Bible interpret the Bible. A wonderful study is Kay Arthur's Precept Ministries which teaches the inductive method. I see you are from St. Louis and being near there also, I know there are many classes in your area. Check out www.precept.org. If you have any questions, e-mail me.

In Christ
    KayDee

6. richardsherratt

richardsherratt New Member

I do all the above however I believe that the best way to study the Bible is to meditate on it. I would recommend you buy and read The Practice of Biblical Meditation by Campbell McAlpine.

Regards,
    Richard Sherratt

7. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

I have a KJV1611, a NKJ, and a NIV

If I have a problem in the KJV1611, I move to the NKJ, And if i have a problem I move to the NIV. If i'm further perplexed I ask my pastor. I make notes and read and STUDY one book a year. Last year it was John. This year is is Psalms. While i'm reading through the Bible on a dialy basis. I'm closely EXAMINING Psalms. I'm reading the Bible everyday as a book to enjoy, But i'm also using Psalms as a Text book applying it to my life. [​IMG]

I hope this helps GOOD LUCK

8. superdave

superdave New Member

Many good suggestions, I would be cautious with Kay Arthur, some of her conclusions are well outside of a sound Biblical methodology. I like to stick to what the Word says. Still, the precept method works well for some people, my wife is very good at it, and it helps her organize the various threads in the passage being studied.

Using multiple versions can be helpful for those of us without the ability to read the passages in Greek or Hebrew. I have a four column parallel Bible with KJV, Amplified, NASB, and NIV. It can be very helpful when you are looking for a different perspective on a verse.

I would also recommend a program called e-sword. It is a Bible program that is free, and you can download multiple versions for it and select them with tabs, as well as several Commentaries integrated into it, with a Strongs concordance.

Using a Chronological Bible is a great way to study the Old Testament especially. It groups the passages from different Biblical genre's together almost like a timeline.

I go for detail rather than volume. I may only study a few verses, but really dive deep into what is being said. plus choose a key verse and put it on a card, or memorize it, and think about it in the car, or when I have a free moment. It is much easier to be faithful if you don't bite off more than you can chew.

My dad always read a chapter of Proverbs and a Psalm every day, its a great idea, you read proverbs through once a month, and Psalms four times a year. I have tried to adopt that habit, those two books are probably the easiest to apply directly to your life.

9. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Remember, you are not in a race. You have the rest of your life to glean Bible truth. Take small bites and savor well. I like the idea of meditation that someone mentioned. Preparation FOR Bible Study is as important as the study itself. Set a quiet particular time in a non-interruptable place, clear your mind, and allow the Holy Spirit to interact with your spirit. [​IMG]

10. Gayla

Gayla New Member

11. 3John2

3John2 New Member

I study the bible pretty heavily (I need it!!!) & I have MANY different translations. I do both just devotional reading & God will show me things. Currently I'm reading through the NT using Wuest's Expanded Translation.
    Also I would STRONGLY suggest using a book to study through.
    I am currently using Wayne Grudem's "Systematic Theology" & I find it VERY good. Even though I might NOT agree with everything it forces me to logically refute what I don't agree with. Many times I find that I am the one WRONG in my theology. I have learned a LOT using this book. It will make your studying very organized. I also use a Vines, & a Strong's of course.
    Always pray before studying so the HOly Spirit will show you the truth of the word.
    One thing you should NOT do is get "legalistic" in your studies to where you are inflexible in your studies if you are led to study something else.
    I also like the method of studying one book at a time. Man 1 year is a long time but like someone else said you have the REST of your life so take you time. I don't care how many years it takes me to work through the Grudem I'm in this for ETERNITY so I've got forever to study & learn. Also I'm the kind that looks up EVERY single scripture reference instead of just reading reading "John 6:23" I will actually LOOK It up etc. If it's a verse that REALLY catches my eye I will use several translations & read it off of that. I use the Amplified translation quite a bit for that.
    I used to do what John MacArthur recommended which was read through a book once a day for a month. I have done that with several books & I'm greatly blessed by that.
    Anyways I hope this help & is a blessing to you.

12. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

The above mentioned ideas are good, if you are a Bible scholar. If you are just a typical Christian wanting to learn more of God's holy word then first pray for enlightenment from the Spirit and open your Bible to the book of 1st John. Read that book through several times, praying for enlightenment each time. You will be amazed of just how much you learn from this method.

13. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

BTW if you desire to become a Bible scholar then I suggest you get Wilmington's Guide to the Bible. This book is a wealth of information full of outlines and topics to help anyone wanting to know more of God's word.

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wilmington is ok but not great