1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How does your garden grow?

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jun 13, 2005.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Zuchini is coming in en masse.

Beans--gadzooks.

Waiting for those red tomatoes.

2. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Well, I have a flower bed and there are things growing in there that I don't if they are weeds or something I planted last year and they are coming back. But everything's growing and growing and growing.

I'd love to get into your garden! I love zucchini, beans, tomatoes.....

You should be a good neighbor and bring me some. lol I think you're about an hour away from me.

Take care

Linda

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

what city do live in?

4. Songbird

Songbird New Member

I'm in Concord.

5. Dewey Maggard

Dewey Maggard New Member

Gardening is one of the best therapy treatments one can have whether young or old. I read recently of a 21 year old young man who had been on drugs- Somehow he got into gardening- He said it was the best thing he ever did-and he has been able to get off drugs- and says he is hooked for life (to gardening that is)
    I have been a gardener ever since I was old enough to hold a hoe- my parents and grandparents always had fantastic gardens- Now-a-days people seem to be too busy with other things or Lazy. We get a lot of produce out of our garden- My wife canned 73 pints of green beans last year- made probably 100 small loaves of Zucchini bread- Canned tomatoes- tomatoe jam and made lots of pies for the freezer from the Hubbard squash that I raised-- etc etc- what could be nicer. And when you look at your produce you know that God is a bountiful creator. Well I got carried away. Happy Gardening to those of you who are brave enough to try it.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zucchini... Ugggh, I'll stay far away.
    We have neighbors who have trouble pawning off their excess zucchini on friends and leave bundles of them on my front porch.
    Zucchini terrorism :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for my tomato's to ripen too.
    They're getting big.
    They're getting plenty of water, it's 110% humidity here between the frequent rainstorms.

My daylilies are in their prime blooming season.
    The Zinnias, phlox, lilies, butterfly bush and hydranga are all flowering at once too.
    My yard is ablaze with color.

Most of my plants require very little attention and provide maximum enjoyment. [​IMG]

Rob

7. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Mulch them! :D

I unfortunately am renting right now, so I don't have any land to grow anything on. I have some house-plants, notably two five year old spider plants that have repeatedly survived chronic dehydration. *looks for blushing smiley*

I wish I had space for just a little flower bed. I'd put in impatiens. If I had two, I'd put petunias in the second!

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally! I picked my first tomato today.

It's an heirloom variety called Striped German.

It looks tiger striped; mostly red with yellow stripes. It has a good size and is rather oddly shaped; similar to the Brandywine tomato.

Unfortunately I'm not a raw tomato eater.
    I like my tomatoes mashed, cooked, concentrated and spiced up. So the flavor will have to be judged through my wife: She says they're good.

Rob

9. Songbird

Songbird New Member

Ugh!!! Mine is over-run w/verbenas! I'm afraid to walk in my flower bed. I need to do some serious cutting back some time this weekend. I think I'll plant daylillies--the seem to be a little less bushy and have pretty blooms--and very low maintenance!

Now my in-laws have been supplying us w/nice home-grown tomatoes! Bless them!

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drought in Wyoming, lousy soil for growing anything. But got our first cherry tomatoes this week and man do they taste good hot off the vine.

Our peas burned up while we were in LaLaLand. It was a week of 95F and little moisture. And bugs got the snap beans.

But enjoying lettuce and spinach since spring - we let our lettuce go to seed each fall and then it comes up naturally and early. Fresh greens . . and now with tomatoes!!