1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Free Will Destroys Faith in Christ;

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by 1689Dave, Dec 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because he understands the verse....God has decreed, destined, and purposed, that none of the persons spoken of here will perish, not one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No no we do not add words to scripture. That is never ok

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul was saved the moment He called Christ Lord, and asked what He would have him to do. He had then surrendered to Christ. Of course you don't see that because you don't understand it.
    MB

4. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus told Ananias Paul was a chosen vessel, obviously against his will.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's your imagination working over time. Scripture doesn't support your theory.
    MB

6. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    “Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem: And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name. But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name’s sake.” Acts 9:13–16 (KJV 1900)

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    he was not adding to scripture, just giving the understanding of the chapter which you resist.
    Why do I say that? let's look once again;
    2 Peter 3 King James Version (KJV)

Who is Peter writing to? Who is he addressing?

3 This second epistle, beloved, I now write unto you; in both which I stir up your pure minds by way of remembrance:

Who is he warning them about? Scoffers, unbelievers..

They will be judged,and yet he contrasts the beloved, the elect;

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness;
    but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

[EDITED]

#107 Iconoclast, Dec 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John 20

30Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This scripture still does not support your claim. I do not disagree that Paul was chosen but so are most Jews. People forget that Paul was already a believer in God and on the road to Damascus. He met Christ there and The way Paul met Christ certainly let him know right away that what he was doing was wrong and He changed his own will in that moment. Paul was not force-ably saved against his will. Your imagination would really have to work hard to even think so.
    MB

10. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "How Free Will Destroys Faith in Christ"

A self-defeating statement if I ever saw one.
    The rational for it is exactly that: a rational, not scriptures.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are guessing.

12. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have no clue what God was doing as he dragged you to himself?
    Do you think God is essentially on vacation and just leaves his creation to figure it out on their own?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is it okay to interpret what those English words are saying or must we blindly take an English translation at face value?

14. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    You sure about that? You sure it didn't happen when God spoke to Saul?
    By the way, who acted first on that road to Damascus, was it Saul or God?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    To whom was John writing? Was he telling this to pagans or to people who were already believers?

Will those whom the Father has not given him believe? If so, show me where a person God had not chosen came to faith.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Saul...he was seeking the Lord by murdering Christians:Redface:eek::Sick he had made a decision to kill every Christian he could get his hands on.....that was his "will" wanted to do.

17. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, he didn't drag me anywhere til I came to Him of my own free will. Of all the people on earth, only I know how I felt during those times. Only I know what actually motivated me to come to Jesus. Sorry, but no one else can tell me how I felt or what I believed.

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.John 6:65 (KJV 1900)

“No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.” John 6:44 (KJV 1900)

19. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture says they were a church.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, but...as Calvinists claim: "This reason you believe is because you already believed."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.