1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 'How Gender Neutral Bible Translations Endanger Christian Marriage

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Martin Marprelate, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Rippon2

Rippon2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you realize that you can delete #74? All you did was quote a post of mine with no comment from you.

2. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should be praising God for all the translations out there. And they're not just being read in countries where English is their first language.

3. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many women feel excluded from verses rendered the way you want. Besides, what I said in an earlier post holds true. Many English translations like the NIV are read by folks where English is not their first language. Why erect barriers?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your concerns , so why not have the 1984 still published for those of us concerned about the 2011?

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here in America, just wonder how much real need for the latest and greatest translation and or revision all of the time!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mistake, meant to say that your stats keep showing to all of us that Zondervan should have kept the 1984 Niv alone!

7. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    What stats?

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ones showing how many times translations used words liek humans, persons, people etc!

9. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    It demonstrated that it used those words about as much as the CSB, and less than the NLT, among other things.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But far more then the 1984 Niv, or more then Nas/Nkjv correct?

11. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know this already. Why ask questions when you know the answer? And you know I know the answer, I'm the one who has been making the comparisons thread after thread, year after year.

12. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    At last count there have been 90-some posts on this thread. What's above was post #24. Don't you think it's time for the OP to be giving evidence that the headline is true? It should have been the first order of business.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its a subtle influenced at work, as those wanting to have say woman pastors and elders are not going to jsut translate it right now to allow for that!

14. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because your 'concerns' are unwarranted and never proven. Besides, the 1977 NASB is your translation of choice.

15. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's deal with the three most prominent ones in the evangelical world :NLT, NIV and CSB.

You claim there is "a subtle influence at work." It's so subtle it doesn't exist. None of the above three have anything in their respective texts promoting women as pastors and elders. Nor do these three promote women as heads of homes. It's just from your world of make-believe. If a claim is made it must be stated in the text. But you are out of luck because your charges are not found in the text of these three.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but also still have and use my 1984 Niv Study Bible!

17. Rippon2

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well good for you. Meanwhile the OP has not been proven, nor has an attempt been made.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Examples of specific changes from the 1984 NIV to the 2011 NIV The main question facing current NIV readers is not how much the new NIV is like the TNIV (see above), but rather, How much has changed from the 1984 NIV that I am currently using? Therefore the following section examines changes from the 1984 NIV to the new 2011 NIV. 1. The 2011 NIV adopts feminist-leaning translations in several key verses dealing with women’s role in the church We expect that evangelical feminists who claim that women can be pastors and elders will eagerly adopt this 2011 NIV because it tilts the scales in favor of their view at several key verses. This is especially true because the new NIV changes the primary verse in the debate over women’s roles in the church.1984 NIV 1 Timothy 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.2011 NIV 1 Timothy 2:12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. (same as TNIV, but with modified footnotes)
    2011 NIV Romans 16:7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was. (same as TNIV, except for foot
    This verse changes “Junias” (a man’s name) to “Junia” (a woman’s name; the Greek spelling could refer to either a man or a woman), and now says that “Andronicus and Junia” are “outstanding among the apostles,” thus making the woman “Junia” an apostle. This is a highly disputed verse, but the NIV now clearly gives more weight to the feminist argument that says there was at least one woman apostle, and if a woman could be an apostle (like Paul or Peter, presumably), surely women can be pastors and elders as well."
    Taken excerpts from the :
    http://waynegrudem.com/wp-content/u...uation-of-Gender-Language-in-the-2011-NIV.pdf
    Also.
    Junia Among the Apostles: The Double Identification Problem in Romans 16:7 | Bible.org

#98 Yeshua1, Mar 27, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tell me, Y1, why is "Junias" a "man's name"?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    see post 98