1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How is Soverinty Defined?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformer, Aug 9, 2008.

1. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

By dogmatically asserting that God must know or must not know is to assert that God is not free to choose and thus limits the sovereignty of God in the mind of the thinker. If God chooses to know, he chooses to know. If God chooses not to know, he chooses not to know. The choice is his to make.

When finite man asserts that an infinite God must or must not behave in a certain manner, then the sovereignty of God becomes limited in the mind of finite man. God is never actually limited, except in the mind of man who places bounds upon God.

Whatever God's choice may be, he is righteous in his decision. If God chooses to know, he is righteous, and his choice does not affect the volition of man. If God chooses to not know, he is righteous, and his choice does not affect his sovereignty nor does it affect his ability.

If God could not choose to limit his knowledge, then God could not choose to forget. How would it be possible for an omniscient God to put sin out of his memory, unless he chooses to limit his knowledge by choosing to not remember.
    In God's sovereign will, he chooses to not remember, he chooses to limit his knowledge.

I cannot say whether God knows or chooses to not know future events, that is his prerogative, either way it does not affect my belief. I believe that God knows future events, but that in certain situations, he chooses to not know. For example when our Lord and Saviour said "But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father" he was choosing to limit his knowledge. But that in no way diminished his sovereignty.

I do know for certain, that when God remembers sin no more, he has chosen by his own divine will to limit his knowledge.

But these are only the ponderings of a finite man.

To God be all glory and honour and praise.

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

thanks for yoru musings. I will respond in a bit.

3. ReformedBaptist

Can God sin? Can God lie? Can God make a rock too big that even He can't lift it? None of these things limit God. And by saying the Infinite cannot not know, is not limiting God anymore than that the Scripture teaches God cannot lie.

I cannot concieve of God acting or being contrary to His character. So while your reply is interesting, it just doesn't follow. What I mean is, the logic that "If God cannot or could not... means thus and thus"

Are you sure you have understood the prophet correctly? He who is infinite in knowledge and widsom and understanding, according to His nature, can forget? Will He then not be able to call the things to HIs mind again because He chose to forget? Or does the Scripture mean that God will not remember sins against them?

Amen.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If you'll notice, I did not use the term "free will" therefore, I do not have to define it.

How can anything happen apart from the will of God? Where did I say that?

5. ReformedBaptist

Marcia,

I was simply asking questions. You don't have to answer any of them. I fear that you have taken my questions as points of attack. They are not.

May the grace and peace of Christ be with you.

RB

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

ReformedBapist, here is what I said. No "free will."

How do you take this passage from Matt. 23?

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

No, I didn't take it as an attack. I think you are one of the more civil debaters here and I appreciate that!

But you were wrong in saying I talked about "free will." I didn't. Nor did I say that things happen apart from God's will, so how can I answer a question about things I didn't say or assert? That's all I'm saying. Is it fair to ask questions about things I didn't say?

Do you see what I mean?

8. ReformedBaptist

As Christ's compassion toward a people who were about to be destroyed.

9. ReformedBaptist

Yes, I read "free" into your response. Sorry about that.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for the apology! :wavey:

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What about Jesus saying He was wanting them to come to Him but they were "unwilling?" Doesn't this indicate that God allows men to choose things God doesn't want?

I am trying to point out that it is not so black and white an issue. There is a tension there, because like the Trinity and the Incarnation, this goes to the nature of God, something we cannot totally comprehend. I think that is why there ends up being so much debate on this topic.

(I am not saying the Trinity is not necessarily true! I'm talking about explaining it - we can only go so far in that, also with the Incarnation of Jesus).

12. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Well it says what it says, and I believe it they way it is written. The Most High God said "I will remember their sin no more". If it becomes necessary to read into the passage things that are not written in order to make the passage fit my ideology, then I would question my ideology.

"Let God be true and every man a liar."

Scripture corrects me, I never correct scripture. This is my doctrine of the Holy Scriptures.

You did not address the passage concerning Jesus not having knowledge concerning a particular futuristic event. What do you read into that passage to make it fit your ideology?:smilewinkgrin:

13. Reformer

Reformer New Member

Thank you for this post it has helped me better see where you are coming from. That doesn't mean I agree with you, but my goal is to better understand where theology that is different from mine comes from, not to convince myself of something

and as I read this and some of your following posts I kept thinking something by Piper that might be of interest to you, it certainly was to me anyway here it is

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Articles/ByDate/1995/1580_Are_There_Two_Wills_in_God/

I would very be interested to here what you think about it

Thanks

Reformer

14. ReformedBaptist

Well my friend, it wasn't written in English. It was translated into English, but immediately inspired in English. The word translated to remember means to remember, recall, call to mind. God will not recall or call to mind their sins anymore. Now, unless your a dispensationalist (no, this is not an attack on dispies, but to recognize different interpretations), this passage is concerning the New Covenant in the blood of Jesus Christ. Contrasted with the Old Covenant, where there was a rememberance of sin year after year, under the New Covenant there is no more remembrance of sin because Christ was sacrificed once for all.

Has the Scripture now corrected you?

I will get to the other Scripture in a moment, somehow I missed it.

15. ReformedBaptist

The Scripture you referenced is Matt 24:36; Mark 13:32

Now, you ask me how I am going to understand this verse to fit my ideaology, which you probably meant theology. Can we leave the pettiness to the children? I would not expect you to wrest the Scripture to fit your theology and I would ask the same courtesy. And it is possible for us both to misunderstand the passage.

In this passage the object is Christ, the Son of God and the Son of Man. We understand that in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. And the Word became flesh. He did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, being in the form of God, but made Himself of no reputation and took upon the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men. "And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." Phil 2:8

So I take the passage as to the limitation of Christ's knowledge to be in regard to His humanity and not His divinity. He did not know as the Son of Man. Do we dimish the nature of Christ, as the false teachers of the Jehovah's Witnesses do, which site the passage of Christ saying the Father is great than He is? Of course not. The explaination runs the same line of reasoning and does no violence to the Scripture.

RB

#55 ReformedBaptist, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  16. ReformedBaptist

There have been many explainations on the subject which I have read. It is not something that I can say I fully comprehend, but it is something that I have apprehended. Take for example this, "Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain" Acts 2:23

Jesus was delivered and crucified according to the determined counsel (decree, will) and foreknowledge of God. Everything happened according to His will. Yet is will accomplished by an angry mob. Did the crowd think to themselves "We are doing what God foreordained." ? I don't think so. They were acting accordign to their volition and desires, perfectly fulfilling what God had already determined to happen. The mechanism of this I do not fully understand. But the recognition of it I cannot deny. Therefore I say, "I cannot fully comprehend it, but by faith I fully apprehend it."

17. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Well praise God, at least we both believe our English translation is inspired.

I just couldn't help myself, I had to do this.:wavey:

So of his own will he has chosen to put those things out of his mind. He has chosen to not recall, he has chosen to limit his knowledge.

Well I do believe in dispensations, but maybe not to the extent that others do. I have no dispute with your explanation, and I still believe that God in this situation has chosen to put these memories out of his mind, he has chosen to limit his knowledge by choosing to remember them no more. This is exactly what I stated in the previous post, and I do not see that what you have explained contradicts that point. Perhaps I am missing something in your post.

Brother, the scriptures always correct me, they do now correct me, and I pray they will continue to do so.

18. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

I do apologize that you took offense, I was not intending to be petty, and I never accused you of wresting the scriptures

Amen, Amen, Amen

My point is that exactly. As the Son of Man, he divinely chose to limit his knowledge in this situation. I believe that he had the ability to know, had he so desired; yet, he chose to not know. In his sovereign will he determined to limit his knowledge.

Amen, Amen.

I believe it augments God's sovereignty, in the mind of man, when man, allows God to limit his knowledge, if God so chooses. Of course in reality, we do not have the ability to augment nor diminish God's sovereignty, I am writing of how we perceive God in our mind.

This has been interesting and I appreciate your responses. May our Lord and Saviour bless you and all that you do for his honour and glory.

19. rdwhite

rdwhite New Member

Wow, that is a long article, it will take some time to peruse. I have started reading it, may have to finish it tomorrow.

20. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree there are some things we can apprehend but not fully comprehend. I think this passage in Matt 23 is one of them, and the whole issue of God's sovereignty vs. man's will (however that is defined or understood or known) and how all that plays out. It's like explaining salvation, another area that goes to the nature of God and thus something we cannot absolutely understand.

So these things I put in that category:
    God's sovereingty (in light of man's will)
    How God saves
    The Trinity
    The Incarnation

Christians are never going to agree on exactly how to explain these, especially the first two. That is why the debate gets so intense and why I try not to get caught up in those debates.