1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How long will KJVO last?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Dale-c, Dec 22, 2008.

?
  1. It will be mostly gone in 10 years

10.9%
  2. It will probably last another 25 years but not much longer

14.5%
  3. It will go on for another 50 years, lasting one more generation.

12.7%
  4. It will probably go on another 75 years before it dies out

7.3%
  5. Gail Riplinger books will still be selling in 2125

3.6%
  6. I think it is practically dead already.

7.3%
  7. It will end when there is a new inspired translation.

3.6%
  8. It will end when there is a proper TR translation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. It will never end be cause the KJV is the ONLY Bible

10.9%
  10. I don't know.

29.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I don't know if we'll ever see the KJVO position die out completely until we all get to heaven. I firmly believe the KJVO position is a myth and that it can't possibly exist in God's holy presence. I believe the day will come (and I look forward to it) when all those who now support the KJVO position will be forced to admit the truth before God. I don't say this in spite or derision, but I firmly believe the truth will ulimately conquer what is untrue.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The one thing the KJ Bible has going for it is that it is the most poetic of all the translations. In addition to being a beautiful use of the English language, being poetic makes it easier to memorize.

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

There's no doubt the language of the KJVs is beautiful. That's one of the reasons I use the NKJV - it retains much of the beauty of the original KJVs. At the same time it updates much of the archaic language found in the KJVs, making it easier for modern readers to understand the word of God.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NKJ updates some of the KJV language --I don't know about it retaining much "beauty".The NKJ is in need of an overhaul -- it's been almost 27 years since it appeared and the language it uses is cetainly not natural English.It vies with the ESV for a form of English that was never actually spoken.

But I do give it credit in improving some aspects of the KJV -- it's a step in the right direction.

5. PeterM

PeterM Member

I selected the 10 year option. I am sure that there will always be a certain contingent of folks who will hold the view, but I see this largely as a generational thing. I live in Memphis and the surrounding area, especially in the Mississippi Delta, has been strongly KJV-O. However, as the older generation (including pastors/leaders) passes on into glory, the younger generations who have embraced multiple translations will see the issue pass on with them.

I long for the day when the Gideons are using something other than the AV.

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I just listened to a radio show last night defending the KJVO position by someone under 30.
    So who knows But to be honest, the arguments were so weak, some that agreed with him doubted.

There are less and less of those now who actually are interested in serious study who believe this. Most that are change their position.

7. PeterM

PeterM Member

Like I said, there will probably always be a few who continue to hold to KJV-O, but I still think that as the older generation passes even those that are younger will not have there "heros" to cling to. I suspect that the individual you heard was repeating what he had heard from someone else.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The only truly justifiable KJVO position really isn't KJVO at all - it's KJVP (King James Version Preferred). The KJVP position will probably go on as long as KJV Bibles are printed and sold.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It seems that the KJVO stance will very soon be a thing of the past. Much to the delight of many here.

:tear: :tear: :tear: :tear:

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    or until the English language changes so much that only scholars will understand it. Have you ever tried reading Chaucer in Old English?

11. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJVO will prolly be around in some circles until Christ returns. False doctrines are like a cold-hard to get completely over. After all, the totally-false Roman Catholic dox of mariolatry, purgatory, office of Pope, etc. have been around for many centuries & show no sign of dying out despite the fact there's not one quark of Scriptural support for them, either. Same with those of the JWs, LDS, etc. which are bogus as a $3 bill, having been around for the sunny side of 200 years, still going strong.

As Christians, it's our duty to fight these false dox & cultic denoms long as they exist & God gives each individual among us the ability to do so. and while KJVO isn't an actual part of the highway to hell as the doctrines of those cults are, it IS a large billboard beside that highway! It keeps a foot in the door, which can allow other false doctrines to enter.

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Ah, yes, back a few years ago :laugh: when I was in school. The English of those days is hardly recognizable to people today.

Even the English of Wycliffe (1395) is much different thatn the English of today.

Here's John 3:16 as it appeared In Wycliffe's Bible...

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And the translation is kept true in the 1611 AV. Many MV's butcher this verse.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

It really is great to feel the love. :rolleyes:

16. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Happy Birthday!:love2:

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually some of the newer versions like the HCSB get this verse more correctly than the standardized form which we recognize from the KJV line.

Here it is from the NJB :

"For this is how God loved the world:he gave his only Son,
    so that everyone who believes in him may not perish
    but may have eternal life."

The NJB gets it right in several ways.It eliminates the baggage of the word "begotten" which sends wrong signals about Christ being generated from the Father.

It gets rid of the thinking that "God loved the world sooo much..." Instead God loved the world in this manner i.e. "in this way".

It abandons the "whosoever" business which has been so prevalent in Evangelical/Fundamental circles for so long.It's a matter of those who believe in Him -- those believing ones.

18. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Palatka51, which modern translations would you say "butcher" John 3:16?

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It will last until Christ's return.

20. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Yep that is what I call butchered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.