1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many Baptisms

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Reformer, Aug 15, 2008.

?
  1. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. 2

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. 3

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

A second baptism is not redundant if the first one was done when the person was not a believer.

I was baptized at age 11 because my mother arranged it so I could be baptized in the church founded by my great-grandfather. I was definitely not a believer (I rejected Christianity in high school and embarked on my "spiritual journey" into Eastern religions, etc. in college). I probably told the pastor I believed in Jesus because I did believe He had truly lived and thought that is what that meant. I am sure I gave answers I thought I should give. I knew what to say but had no idea what the gospel was, what salvation was, why Jesus died, etc.

After I was saved as an adult (and not a young one either) when I was a single mother with a 9 year old son, the pastor of the church I was in told me I did not need to be baptized since I had been baptized when I was younger. This was wrong -- I really felt compelled to be baptized! So I was finally baptized as a believer a year and a half later in another church.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I still want to go to the Holy Land and get baptized in the Jordan. I heard it's a really great experience...

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Hey, #7 is the perfect #.

Then you can try the pool of Bethesda (John 5).

But are you serious?

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I've heard pastors say that the word "baptize" means "to emerse", and that "rantize" is the word for sprinkling, but then what do I know? Since I believe baptism is a symbol of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection, I don't think sprinkling would work. I certainly don't accept Webster's definition since they're just wanting to appease all religions and not wanting to offend anyone.

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

You can be baptized every day of your life and still be lost since baptism doesn't save anyone.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Sorta, I wouldn't go to the middle east exclusively for this purpose but if I had a chance I would get dipped in the Jordan then I'd go by Bethesda and wait on the angels to trouble the water... With my luck I'd be so excited that I try a reverse 3 1/2 somersault with a double twist and end up last in the pool...

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want an experience, come to Hokkaido and I'll baptize you in the Ishikarigawa ("Stone Gathering River")--in the middle of winter--minus 10 out--six feet of snow! :smilewinkgrin:

I was saved at age four and wanted to be baptized, but my wise father said to wait until I actually understood what baptism was. So I was baptized at six by Granddad.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Sounds like it has a pucker factor? Cold that be a 10?

I guess you could use the old cliché, "it chilled the body but warmed my soul"... :jesus:

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I haven't actually done this yet, though I've done evangelism many times in similar weather. But I'd put it at a 10.5, with 10 being the highest! :love2:

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

LeBuick, Do you think the angels would still be around? But I too will like to visit the great Jordan.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I would think there is no need for the angels since the stranger came through those parts healing and what not. But, who knows, somebody may have hooked up a sauna pump and charge to throw you in... You just never know what you'll see next.

You got me thinking though, I never thought what happened to the others at the pool and/or when did the angels stop visiting.

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Am I the only one that was baptized as a baby?

The second time as a babe in Christ as a young teen.

Rob